Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Copper tubing jacket dies ( 30 cal)

Boolit Master

Copper tubing jacket dies ( 30 cal)

I have back stepped in my swaging as of late. Can any one making copper tubing
    J- words give me an idea what is the length for a 200 gr projectile. My Corbin 1.36," can get me into the 210 gr open tip comfortably, however the ones I have won't last for ever and I'm pursuing copper tubing ones, but don't know what kind of length I'm looking for. As far as bolt rifle's the length isn't as critical as magazine fed ones like 300 BO .

Boolit Buddy
    1.2" would be a good start. Of course there are all of the variables: ogive length and shape, jacket thickness, open tip, lead tip, how big the tip cavity is.

Boolit Master

The wall thickness and core are the governing faction. My Corbin 1.36 jackets can take me as far as I need to go, however with friends and maybe a little side sale they aren't going to last.

Boolit Master

I make copper jackets for .308 caliber 175 Grain bullets using an 8S Corbin Nose Swage Die and Copper Tubing Jackets made from 5/16 Copper Tubing.

For making my jackets I use an RCBS Rock Chukar press; and a set of BT Sniper made Copper Tubing Jacket Dies. I cut my 5/16 Copper Tubing to 1.165 inches. These tubes are then processed through my BT Sniper Copper Tubing jacket Maker dies that fold one end; then it's flattened, and then pushed through a jacket sizing die that draws the finished jacket (with the jacket base now enclosed except for a minute small open dot); the final jacket length is now 1.088 inches in length.

I make 200 grain swage bullets using the same jackets as the 175 Grain copper tubing jacketed bullets; but they are exposed lead nose. This is because of the 1st Punch in the BT Sniper set; I can not make fully enclosed 200 grain bullet without having BT Sniper make me another punch.

If I were making a fully jacketed 200 grain copper jacketed bullet (and had the needed BT Sniper Punch for jackets supporting that weight) - I would cut my initial 5/16" copper tube to a length of 1.322 Inches before processing through the Copper Jacket Dies.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Mustang, I had my open tip 30 cal die designed for use with J-4's, 1.4" long which took me way past my weight limit at the time, now in hind site the copper tubing die should have been a priority, 20/20 hind site. I now need some 4140 hc to restart my home made dies.

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked a sample I had, here are the specifics. Tubing jacket .030 wall 1.2" long 6s ogive open tip with small cavity = 180grains. So I'm guessing 1.250 would get me to 200.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    I just checked a sample I had, here are the specifics. Tubing jacket .030 wall 1.2" long 6s ogive open tip with small cavity = 180grains. So I'm guessing 1.250 would get me to 200.
    I would think closer to 1.33" long for a 200 based on your description.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Are we talking initial length, or finished projectile? My 1.36 RCE yield 209 comfortably, and may be pushed a little heaver.

Boolit Buddy
    I was talking finished jacket. My set uses .375 type L tubing that I draw to .336 then to .306.