RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .308 win with short/tight throat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    NOE's sizing 'kit' includes a tool that accepts a nose punch for your bullet (or a flat punch). It goes in the top of the body die and pushes the bullet back out. If you don't have that tool I can understand your frustration.

I got tired of tapping it with a mallet and made a lever for the top of the press that bears against the top punch. I'll take a picture of it today so you can see how it works.
    I see.... I ordered the sizer that fits in the app press. I guess I will have to order the sizer body kit for a regular single stage as well.

Otherwise, although a pain in the butt a #2 pencil fits in the .300 neck die.

Boolit Master
    So, you have an APP and got the adaptor for NOE bushings?

Then, yeah, that is going to be a PITA for nose sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    Indeed it is. I did get enough sized to be able to make up some dummies at least and see if I'm headed in the right direction.

I was able to get dummies of both 30 cal molds to properly chamber in the 30-40. I need to take the 308 down and check it out.

I think I'm on the right track, now I need to cut my tin just a bit more. I'm thinking of using some high antimony lead mixed in. The alloy I am using is soft, soft; I smushed some of them when I lubed them in the lyman.

Boolit Buddy
    Evoken:
    For my Krag the 314299 worked well sized at .310/11". I had no problem seating to the crimp groove~3.000" COL. My linotype boolets are .305 just behind the ogive.
    My Ruger 77 .308W ( Rifling starts ~2.250") also loved the 314299s don't remember the COL, but pretty much at crimp groove as I recall. The Lee 309-200-R boolet is almost as good, and is a bore rider that should work in .308 w/o nose sizing. Another Lee the 312-155-2R works well in the .308 as it has a pointier nose shape than the 312-1602R Which work better in my Krag sized .311".
    I've had real good results with 2400, IMR-4198, H322 and RL10x. With higher than "starting" loads.

By "starting" I mean Lyman #3 levels.
    I found 18-29 gr 2400, 24-25 gr IMR-4198, ~30 Gr H-322 and RL10x gave me the best accuracy, but I didn't push any higher, yet. There seems to be a step function where the powders really start to burn more consistently and produce higher velocities per grain of powder.
    Last edited by Krag 1901; 03-01-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Editied to clarify

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    Evoken:
    For my Krag the 314299 worked well sized at .310/11". I had no problem seating to the crimp groove~3.000" COL. My linotype boolets are .305 just behind the ogive.
    My Ruger 77 .308W ( Rifling starts ~2.20") also loved the 314299s don't remember the COL, but pretty much at crimp groove as I recall. The Lee 309-200-R boolet is almost as good, and is a bore rider that should work in .308 w/o nose sizing. Another Lee the 312-155-2R works well in the .308 as it has a pointier nose shape than the 312-1602R Which work better in my Krag sized .311".
    I've had real good results with 2400, IMR-4198, H322 and RL10x. With higher than "starting" loads.
    Thanks for the tips. I will be trying 2400 with the lee boolit and I think 4198 with the noe one. For starters anyway. For the Krag that is.

I believe that my main problem with the noe mold is my alloy. With lyman 2 it is casting fat noses, no matter how hot i preheat or have the alloy temp at.

Banned

Fire lap it and be done with it. Savages have the worst inside finish of all the makers. It will clean up the rest of the barrel while you lap the throat in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123