RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 358318?

Boolit Master

Lyman 358318?

Can anyone tell me what the ballistic coeffient is? I've been compairing it to the drawings of the old DuPont charts until my eyes are sore and the best I can estimate is .29. Think that is anywhere in the ballpark?
    JDL

Boolit Buddy
    Can't help you there but in my .358 Win. it will shoot sub 1/2" groups with 16.7 gr. (that's what my Lyman Pistol Powder measure) throws of 2400 at 50 yds. They are not MY casts so I don't know what the lead content is !

Hipshot

P.S. I had read somewhere that was not an accurate bullet----I found out differently!

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    I know the thread is old but figured the info couldn't hurt.

Saw no answers so thought I'd offer this. On NOE's sketch of their 360318 which is very close to the original Lyman he shows a BC. Now I can barely make it out due to print size but the BC looks like a .3587 when I try and blow it up. Imagine you have got an answer by now but just in case - hope that helps.

I'm on the hunt for an original Lyman if I can find one though I'll go with the NOE if I have to. Was hoping for steel.

I relined a Ballard with one of Mike's hammer-forged liners from TJs. The liner is .357x.348 if I remember correctly.

If anyone has any cast from either the original Lyman or an NOE I'd be interested in their diameter at the nose just in front of the front driving band and across the driving bands themselves.

A friend cast me some up and they looked to have potential. They are all shot now. I'd be content with this bullet P
    till I draw up a 35 Chicken bullet in my TNT software similar to what Harlan has on his Sagebrush Outfitters site.

I'd like to have more lube but I had no leading issues as it was with BP or Smokeless. 40 gr of BP gave me 1267fps velocity and I was connecting with a 650yd dinger with some regularity in mild wind. I also tried IMR 4198 and SR 4759 for similar velocities. Due to the small sample I had to work with I didn't have time to work up nitro loads long enough to beat the BP for accuracy so went to the last gong-shoot with BP.
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Noe 360318. Bullets measure average .3615 across the bands, .352 just in front of the bands. This is with ac WW, pistol range scrap mixed 50/50, aged 2 months.

Bullets feed slick in my M98 35 Whelen, which is why I chose this mold.
    Full power accuracy is nothing to crow about.
    13 grains of red dot shoots into 1 inch at 50 yards, but what good is it? It shoots a foot low from my hunting sight setting.
    I am still working on my paper patch game, this looks promising.

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Hey Buck, Thanks for the dimensions.

The bullets I had given to me from the original Lyman shot about 1" at 50yds with iron sights of a pair of sticks. If I get 5/8" off anything that way I'm usually tickled. So 1" was not too bad. Could be different on a better day. Obviously I'm not looking to break any velocity barriers. I am always concerned with airspace in these reduced powder loads but that is nothing new. And if BP is what it does best with I can live with that. Thanks Again. John
    Best Regards,
    John