Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Anyone Have Information on Lubing Stop Ringed Cast Boolits

Boolit Buddy

Anyone Have Information on Lubing Stop Ringed Cast Boolits

I have a rifle in 8.15x46r which uses the ringed cast boolits. Looking for suggestions or others experience with lubing this type of boolits.

Powder coat?
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Stop Ringed cast bullet? Even a Google search didn’t reveal anything that look unusual.
    So a photo of your bullet in question might get you a better response.

Lube could be smeared into any bullets lube groove(s) with a small silicone spatula.
    Tedious for sure.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 02-09-2021 at 04:28 PM.

What you call "Ringed" most people here would call "Lube Groove". That is a bullet mold designed to create one or more grooves to put bullet lube in. When there are 1-3 grooves that would be considered standard. If there are many smaller grooves or series of ridges and grooves. That would be called "Tumble lube"

There are many many different lubes for different uses. The old way uses a tool like a Lyman 45 or 450 which lubes and sizes in one operation.

Many pan lube for larger bullets. Although I always found this an incredibly messy affair.

I have taken warm bullets, a dollop of lube, and a stainless steel mixing bowl and tumble lubed them. Which resulted in most of the lube in the grooves. Running them through a sizing die after they have cooled helps remove excess lube. Tends to fill the grooves better. Probably won't get the lube off the noses or bases. But a towel will if you are willing to take the time.

Then you have at least 2 tumble lube options, being Ben's Liquid Lube, and 45-45-10. Both of which are designed to be tumble lubed using either tumble lubed or traditional lubed bullets.

My experience with these is that 2 or 3 light coats is much better than one heavy coat.

Even coverage is the key. Trying to get uniform even coverage so one side does not have a drip or heavy spot which could throw your bullet off its ideal path through the air.

Keep reading, there is a wealth of information here, dive into it. Especially the "Stickies" as these are chosen as being threads that have wide use for a wide variety of situations.

Google is your friend, be specific.

Good luck!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    The ones I’m experimenting with in my .32 Ideal rifle I grasp the nose with tweezers, dip the rear end into either melted mutton tallow/beeswax (for black powder) or Lee Liquid Alox (for smokeless) and set on wax paper to harden or dry.

They could also be tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, or even tumbled with conventional lubes thinned with mineral spirits.

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube. I like the idea of dipping to avoid possible damage as the bullets are quite soft. Stop rings are sorta like breach seating. Stop ring bullets are not just lube grooves.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I pan lube all stop ring and tapered bullets. Once one learns how to properly pan lube, it is efficient to lube many bullets at one time and quickly using a good lube that properly fills out all the grooves.
    I keep 3 separate trays previously lubed for 8.15, 32-40 and 38-55’s exclusively for these bullets
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I use tapered and heeled bullets.
    I dip lube pre heated bullets then stand on end to solidify on grease proof paper.
    Or
    Just finger seat the healed bullet and wipe the lube with my fingers.
    50 at a go.
    Or as I load and shoot them.
    I use the nose of the bullet to smear some lube out of my old tobacco tin
    I expect the stop ring would be pretty much the same.

50/50bees wax and vasalene or adjust the vasalene for summer /winter.
    My fingers make the mix soft enough.
    Then wipe hands clean /load and shoot.

I use filler and don’t need to wipe the bases clean so as powder won’t stick to it and wreck havoc with groups.

One of the many ways to do things with little equipment.