Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Spanish M43 La Coruna Mauser

Boolit Master

Spanish M43 La Coruna Mauser

Any idea what they were thinking when this rifle was designed with a fixed front sight and no windage adjustments on the rear sight? Seems strange to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    Any idea what they were thinking when this rifle was designed with a fixed front sight and no windage adjustments on the rear sight? Seems strange to me.
    Pirate69,

The M43 is a clone of the Kar98, which had a fixed front sight and no windage adjustment on the rear sight. Very few military rifles from WWI and WWII had windage adjustable sights. The Model 1917, the No4 Mk1, 91 and 91/30 Mosins were the same. The MkIII did have a windage adjustable rear sight until British military "intelligence" dropped it and gave us the MkIII* in 1916.

Be Well.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

They, Like K98s, had variable height front sights that were factory/armorer installed for elevation and the drifted left or right for correct windage when installed. You can also change the elevation and windage on the front sight the same way.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Its called "Soldier Proofing the Sights."

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Its called "Soldier Proofing the Sights."

Robert
    Mk42,

WHY didn't there exist a need to "soldier proof" the M1 Garand? Different lots of ammo often needed some windage adjustments. Hammer sight adjustment is less precise than a click or two and gets tiring!

Adam

Boolit Master

I have got to get back to the garage with a magnifying glass. I did not see that the front sight is mounted in a dovetailed slot that allows drift. The fit may be so tight that I missed it. But I did look for it earlier. Will look closer this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    They, Like K98s, had variable height front sights that were factory/armorer installed for elevation and the drifted left or right for correct windage when installed. You can also change the elevation and windage on the front sight the same way.

Boolit Master

I took another look at the front sight with a 10X magnifying glass. I can just barely make out what appears to be the line defining the dovetailed slot. I guess it will drift if I put some pressure on it. But I am going to take another look to confirm things in my mind before I start beating on the front sight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Same for the No 4 Mk1.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I took another look at the front sight with a 10X magnifying glass. I can just barely make out what appears to be the line defining the dovetailed slot. I guess it will drift if I put some pressure on it. But I am going to take another look to confirm things in my mind before I start beating on the front sight.
    Pirate:

NEVER BEAT on a front sight! Use a vise-type PUSHER to ease any needed windage adjustment. Slow and easy does it!

Adam

Boolit Master

Yes, LOL, you are correct. Never beat on a sight. That was a bad choice of words. I actually have a clamp-type device that I use to move sights. Not designed specifically for that purpose but I can get it to work if I set it up just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Pirate:

NEVER BEAT on a front sight! Use a vise-type PUSHER to ease any needed windage adjustment. Slow and easy does it!

Adam

Boolit Master
    Yes, LOL, you are correct. Never beat on a sight. That was a bad choice of words. I actually have a clamp-type device that I use to move sights. Not designed specifically for that purpose but I can get it to work if I set it up just right.
    Piraet69,

You are correct about using a pusher tool. I found the SKS pusher tool works on any front sight. In earlier days, I used a small C clamp and a brass piece to move front sights gently.

One day, long ago, at my NH gun club I watched a hammer mechanic knock the front sight off of a mint G33/40!

Adam