Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lightning Powder

Lightning Powder

I would like to know what modern propellant would equate to or even be similar to the long obsolete Lightning. I have been at this reloading business since 1960 or so but the Lightning propellant predates me a bit.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I would like to know what modern propellant would equate to or even be similar to the long obsolete Lightning. I have been at this reloading business since 1960 or so but the Lightning propellant predates me a bit.
    Lightning was introduced by Laflin & Rand in 1899 for lever action sporting rifles like the .30-30 Winchester and .303 Savage. Production of 2 mm diameter flakes was discontinued after World War II. Tubular Lightning # 2 was manufactured from 1903 to 1929.[17]

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I would say RL 7 or IMR 3031 would be close to the same burning range and applications as were Lightening #1 & #2 powders. Of course that is with respect to only the burning rates and not the charge weight to weight comparison. According to Sharpe Lightening #1 was applicable to cast bullets either PB or GC'd and with jacketed bullets up through 50,000 psi (CUPs).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thank you Larry. I have been reading some old books that discuss Lightning and thought maybe 3031 from their charge suggestions but was not sure.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.