RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: cast 300 gn or 350 gn which is best in 45-70's

Boolit Buddy

cast 300 gn or 350 gn which is best in 45-70's

what are some molds for accurate 300 gn to 350 gn cast gas check flat point bullets for Marlin and Henry lever guns. I have an old RCBS 405 gn mold but I have to seat bullets deeper than listed. Anyone have a favorite mold in 300 to 350 gn they would recommend?

Boolit Master
    Two, off the top of my head are the SAECO #017 (350gr.) RNFP and the RCBS 300-FN.

Both of these molds are of gas check type, but both have been VERY accurate both out of my 1886's & Marlin 1895 GG.

I have a litany of NOE & MIHEC's offerings, but am away from my "list" to list them.

Others will be along shortly to give you a WIDE array of what your looking for.

Hope this helps....
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    OP, why do you have to seat the 405 bullet so deep? Deeper than whose listing? What rifle do you have? I ask because that bullet was designed for the .45-70, as are other 300-350 grain bullets. Their nose shapes may pose the same problem for you. Bullet weight makes no difference as the extra weight is inside the case.

Boolit Buddy
    my Marlin 1895LTD and one of the Marlin 1895S the other 1895S seems to cycle fine. Both 1895S were purchased in 1981 according to the receipts, the LTD I was told was made in early 1990's. I seated all the bullets from the RCBS 405 gas check flatnose mold to t he manuals specs. Rounds will cycle but lever will have to be squeezed hard to fully close to fire. I seated the bullets deeper to solve the problem, but afraid pressures will go up. Might not hurt the Marlins, but I also use the same in my Sharps and Rem Rolling Block. I also have my name on the list for a Henry X Model 45-70 and want to use the same rounds.
    Hoping to hear from LBT and NOE.
    Hornady 350 gn RNSP according to notes left by my grandpa and his shooting partner had terrible accuracy in all their test loads in all their 45-70's. I have inherited all the rifles that is why the 2 1895S models, they bought them at the same time and place.
    Thank you all for the help.

Boolit Buddy
    my Marlin 1895LTD and one of the Marlin 1895S the other 1895S seems to cycle fine. Both 1895S were purchased in 1981 according to the receipts, the LTD I was told was made in early 1990's. I seated all the bullets from the RCBS 405 gas check flatnose mold to t he manuals specs. Rounds will cycle but lever will have to be squeezed hard to fully close to fire. I seated the bullets deeper to solve the problem, but afraid pressures will go up. Might not hurt the Marlins, but I also use the same in my Sharps and Rem Rolling Block. I also have my name on the list for a Henry X Model 45-70 and want to use the same rounds.
    Hoping to hear from LBT and NOE.
    Hornady 350 gn RNSP according to notes left by my grandpa and his shooting partner had terrible accuracy in all their test loads in all their 45-70's. I have inherited all the rifles that is why the 2 1895S models, they bought them at the same time and place.
    Thank you all for the help.