WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Correcting an old SKS mistake...

Boolit Master

Question Correcting an old SKS mistake...

I got my SKS when I was in my early 20's (it has been a minute or two) and promptly slapped a muzzle break on it that forced me to replace the front sight roll pin with a longer one. It's about time I peeled that old loudener off of it, but 25ish years later I have no clue where the original pin is, if I can even get the current one out, and was curious if anybody had any advice on replacing the pin? Should I just (assuming I can get the current one back out) try to chop the roll pin that is in it and put it back? Leave it full length and put it back? What size do I need if a new one is advised? etc?

Thanks, and God Bless.

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    If you want an original I would check with Numrich’s or Apex Gun Parts. Personally, I would use the pin you have and cut it to size.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Before you start pushing on the pin , add some Kroil to it .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I believe the originals were a solid pin and most of the aftermarket front end stuff used a slotted pin. Usually solids (sometimes with slight taper) are out to the right and in from the right as a general rule. An original solid should not be to hard to find but cutting yours to length should not be a big deal either.

The best way to find the original pin would be to cut off and install the one you already have.

It will then reappear in a day or two.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have a few SKS arms and only ONE has been refit with the muzzlebrake and it is my favorite farm gun. I rarely need a bayonet, but the MB is too COOL to ever dismount. What is the alleged "mistake?"

Be Well.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, so my plan is the drive out the current pin, chop it, and put it back. It was what I was thinking about anyway, but I just wanted to get a consensus in case I wasn't thinking it through, and I appreciate it.

Winger Ed, I believe you, that's normally how it works for me

Adam, the "mistake" was putting it on in the first place. Honest to goodness that SKS with the brake on it is the loudest thing I own (not that I own much anymore), and you can dang near hear it three counties away. Back in "the day" when I did that, I replaced the receiver top with one with a machined on scope mouth, the stock with a fiberglass monte carlo stock, and put on the brake. Within' a year it was back in the original matching serial stock and receiver top, and only the brake was left on. I've lost the original PLA sling (probably right next to the original pin, and that aftermarket receiver piece), so I've got to order another one, but even with my bad BAD eyes I can actually make out the sights on it, and it was always a great shooting rifle. Now I will say that the brake being a "mistake" is my opinion just because of the level of the report. It doesn't make it shoot better or worse, I just don't care for it these days.

This little rifle is one that I am original owner of. It is one of the PLA Chinese SKS, and I bought it in the early '90s. It was packed full of cosmoline, and my grandfather (A Korean War Vet, and Marine DI from that era) made me shower with it to get it cleaned up back then. He laughed his butt off the first time I pulled the trigger because I had forgotten (despite his reminders) to clean out the gas assembly as well, and cold water (from the shower) and cosmoline covered my face and glasses so bad I couldn't see. :P I looked like I had been on motorcycle trip in the pouring rain down an old mud road behind a pulpwood truck! I literally had to use degreaser to get the glasses clean again! Got me and it cleaned back up, went to check the old coffee can that was my target, and at 75 yards it was as close to dead on as you could ever hope to get standing offhand with iron sights. That rifle has stood forgotten in back of a closet until recently, and I think with all the coyotes, and other varmints, in the area lately it's time for her to bark a little again now and then. Even with today's ammo prices she's still a "cheap date", and a whole lotta fun to boot.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it much.

God Bless!

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

I bought a few of those still have the one I hunted in the brush with , and a paratrooper model , never wanted a muzzle brake on one , my Hakim has one and I made the mistake of shooting it once without protection , the paratrooper model with the shorter barrel is loud .

Still keep a few of the bandoleers loaded up full , I cleaned mine right there on the floor in the old grays river trading post while the owner supplied me with wd-40 and paper towels to get all the cosmolene out of it , he did ask me to remove the bayonets later as there was some question as to import and them being allowed to have them on .

Let us all know how the removal and replacement goes .

Boolit Master
    I certainly will. As of right now the roll pin punch set I want is on backorder, so as soon as it pops available again it'll be on its way. When I was searching for the sling yesterday I found my old spike bayonet that goes with the SKS. I'll probably leave it off since I don't know the legality of it these days. Also found the old bandolier and stripper clips for it. I was afraid the clips were long gone, and most of the reviews I see on new ones aren't encouraging. Kinda can't wait to shoot it again. Only a decade or two since last time

God Bless

Richard

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

I remember when they were selling for $89 in 1990 with a crate of ammo included at the LGS...and I passed. They also had Mac 90’s for $299! I just paid $1200 for a brown gold stalker 10 gauge which was a month and a halves wages at the time and had no interest in a beat up military gun. How times have changed. I bought an all original 66’ norinco in excellent shape for $174 along with trading three boxes of 5.56, 150 round boxes I bought a month prior for $36.98 ea at Walmart. The ammo climbed to $60 a box at Wally World a month later when I traded so I saved a little money in trade bait. Cool gun!

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards,

I recall the 1990s and NEW Chinese SKS guns and chest bandoleers, cleaning kits and slings going for $90. I bought several. All are great shooters with reloads, both with cast or jacketed ammo. I put my two DCM $20 M1 carbines in the vault because the SKS is a much better farm gun.

The SKS is my favorite farm carry gun afield. No coyote has ever outrun the 10-round semi-auto mag of ammo! At night, by my bed, is an SKS and a .45.

Adam

Boolit Master
    Well... got the NOS Chinese military surplus wide leather tab replacement sling in and mounted. Probably gonna pull it back off and either saddle soap or beeswax the thirsty leather tabs, webbing is great condition, buckle and rivets are a little oxidized but not enough to worry over. Got a bottle of 3-in-1 penetrating oil in. Even have ammo. Just waitin' on a halfway decent roll pin punch set, with a price I can afford, to get in stock since my old set grew legs back before my cancer surgery.

God Bless.

Richard

Hacksaw and file to remove the loud part but leave a bit for crown protection. Bayonets are legal here of course but I always took those silly things off anyway. I liked the 10 shot original magazine, didn't care much for the sights and short length of pull. But I always liked the SKS better than the AK because it handled more naturally and was more accurate. I developed a load using Remington .310" CoreLokt RN 180gr .303 British component bullets that shot great. My first threaded barrel Chinese shot better than my Russian or my pinned barrel Chinese.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine bought one of my SKS's a couple years ago so has been stocking up on 7.62x39. He hit a deal on an AR in that caliber last month and bought it. It had a loudener on it. He brought it by to sight in at my place and after a few rounds I said stop. I grabbed the flash hider from my unfinished.300 build and put it on. It was like night and day for sound.

Boolit Master
    As an update, I had to hit the pause button. Every dime has to go for medical for the wife right now. Soon as we get her back on track I'll revisit this again. I know hacksaw blades (for the pin) and punches are relatively cheap, but I'm not kidding about the dimes. Got an appointment tomorrow with a relative who has a garage full of aluminum cans, and getting a ride from my brother to the recycling center.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation and advice. I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point!

God Bless

Richard

Boolit Master
    Thoughts for your wife and you. Understand just starting to get back going since my problems the end of 2014.