Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New Winchester Hi-Wall in 38-55

New Winchester Hi-Wall in 38-55

I've just gotten this rifle, 2019 model Traditional Hunter, was the last one anybody had in stock that I could get. I was wondering if anyone else out there had this same rifle. Specs say it's a 1-15 twist, but nothing about bore size, I'm going to assume it's not 375. I don't have the gun yet so I can't slug the bore to order a couple boolit molds. To anyone that has one of these, what are the bore dimensions of your rifles, and which boolit molds should I be looking at? I will be shooting mostly targets, maybe some hunting. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    U.S. Repeating Arms|Winchester Rifle 1885 Limited Series

BRAND:U.S. Repeating Arms|Winchester# OF MAGS:
    MODEL:1885 Limited SeriesSAFETY:Half Cock Safety
    TYPE:RifleSIGHTS:Marbles Blade Front & Rear Tang Mounted Peep
    CALIBER:38-55BARREL LENGTH:28" w/Semi-Buckhorn Rear Sight, Rifling 1-18
    FINISH:BlueOVERALL LENGTH:44.5"
    ACTION:Single ShotWEIGHT:9 lbs
    STOCK:Walnut, Satin, Checkered, StraightPACKAGING:
    CAPACITY:1FEATURES:Octagonal BBL, Bore Diam's: Lands .368 Grooves .376
    CHOKES:FEATURESavidson's Exclusive Spec Edtn w/Auth Certificate
    CHAMBER:BUTT PLATE:Crescent Butt Plate with Strap on Top
    MUZZLE:RECEIVER:Blue, Drilled & Tapped

Boolit Bub
    I don't have that exact model but I have had several of the Miroku made Winchester 1885 rifles. The bore size does vary a little. I only had one that was actually .376 like Winchester lists. The others had .377 bores. They are great rifles and accurate too when you get a bullet to fit the barrel. Your best bet is to wait on the rifle and slug the bore. I shoot the Ranch Dog TLC379-235-RF in the Miroku 1885 I currently have and it is very accurate. I size them to .378 for the .377 barrel. I've killed deer with that bullet as well as plenty of paper target shooting.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The most accurate 38-55 bullet is the Ideal 375166, 320gr. Accurate molds has a clone of this bullet on the website that Tom made for me because the original Ideal mold if you can find one runs over $200
    Spec the mold to your groove or 2 thousands greater for obturation. Also, the 375166 calculates in the Powley Calculator with a high rating in a 14 to 18 twist ratio
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-03-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    Regards
    John

Thanks for the responses so far. I've been looking at the Accurate Molds and they look like the ones I'll be ordering. tejano, I got my info off the Winchester web site about the twist rate. The gun is a leftover 2019 Shot Show Special so it may have different specs on it, so I'll slug it and measure the twist when I get it home. Thanks for the info guys.

Boolit Master
    I have the same rifle, it is scary accurate. Only thing I have shot with it is the Lee 265 gr with my alloy and shot great with the first two loads I shot out of it. I have the Noe mold that makes a 338 gr slug, I just have not got around to shooting them.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Traditional Hunter .38-55 more than twenty years ago, not long after they became available. I've tried several bullets and the Lyman flat nose gas check design is my favorite. It weighs around 275-280 grains cast of wheelweight alloy. I'd use the largest diameter bullet that will allow chambering without difficulty. I contacted a Browning engineer who told me bore and groove specs were .373" and .379" respectively at that time. I'd be surprised if those specs have changed, but I guess it's a possibility. However, my rifle may be a bit tight in the bore. I run bullets through a .379" die.

HANDLOADER magazine published an article using one of these rifles in issue #210, April 2001. A number of bullet and powder combinations were used and bullets included both ww alloy and linotype.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYENC View Post
    I've just gotten this rifle, 2019 model Traditional Hunter, was the last one anybody had in stock that I could get. I was wondering if anyone else out there had this same rifle. Specs say it's a 1-15 twist, but nothing about bore size, I'm going to assume it's not 375. I don't have the gun yet so I can't slug the bore to order a couple boolit molds. To anyone that has one of these, what are the bore dimensions of your rifles, and which boolit molds should I be looking at? I will be shooting mostly targets, maybe some hunting. any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bullet design could/would depend on what you have in mind to use it for.
    Off Topic - could you describe what ship is in your avatr photo? It is too small to see the details of what it is.
    Chill Wills

The ship is an Adams Class Guided Missile Destroyer, this one was the Richard E Byrd DDG 23. One of 3 destroyers and one aircraft carrier I was on while I was in.