Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

View Poll Results: Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...a bit of noise is no big deal

71 68.93%
  • No...I try to stay quite

32 31.07%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

Boolit Master

Its is open range cattle country where I am and I don't shoot coyotes..period!
    they keep the rats and mice population under control.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

atr, that’s birds of prey, foxes, and badgers are for. Non of the animals I listed kill deer or antelope......but coyotes darn sure do! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    ATR can't say I've ever hunted any ranches (including my own) that don't want the coyotes killed! They're always on the short list of targets of opportunity.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shot a grouse this year with my 32acp keltec that I keep in my the pocket of my bingo harness. I like grouse meat. If I don't shoot them I at least throw rocks at them sometimes it works.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    I'll be frank, I love me some bird meat!!! I've killed them with rifles and shotguns and pistols and bows and slingshots and rocks. I even made some "snow skippers" that were described in an old trapper's book. I am quite certain that I have spooked elk when getting the birds, but frankly I don't care. I'm pretty successful with big game, and am no slouch with the dinner time game either.
    Whichever way it goes, we're eating something that we were hunting for.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Its is open range cattle country where I am and I don't shoot coyotes..period!
    they keep the rats and mice population under control.
    A good friend of mine has about 400 head of cattle. During calving time he brings them into a calving pasture. He has thermal video surveillance on it. In a normal year he looses between $20,000 and $30,000 to coyote predation and no he is not reimbursed for expenses for his loses. Coyotes also take a lot of deer and game birds. I have yet to meet a rancher that would be happy the you wouldn't shoot coyotes.

Lots of mice in the midwest but I have never seen a rat outside of in town or at a dump ground.

https://crosscut.com/2015/02/coyotes...nds-experience
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-06-2021 at 04:19 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Absolutely not. When I'm deer hunting, I'm deer hunting. I'm being as quiet as I can possibly be.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Unless using a .22 lr with a CB longs or pellet pistol .........no grouse shooting while big game hunting.

Boolit Master
    In a heartbeat, but rather hunt them with a shotgun. I don't hunt horns, I hunt good eating deer so worrying about spooking one is not important when there is tasty supper in sight.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I've shot lots of grouse whilst persueing other game,often shoot a limit of grouse while moose hunting as well as fall bear hunting, often shoot a timber wolf while deer hunting . They're not as noise sensitive as most would believe in my opinion, maybe because there is a lot of work going on in the bush here perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    <snip> They're not as noise sensitive as most would believe in my opinion, <snip>
    We know what a shot sounds like, but I'm convinced that deer haven't a clue what the noise means. Maybe where they're heavily hunted they can figure it out. Otherwise it's thunder. I have a range on my land and if shooting ever bothered them I never noticed.

I'd shoot it if I was certain of a head shot.

Absolutely! Always carry a Smith .22 pocket gun. Accurate, not too loud and has provided a lot of small game for the grill. Prefer grouse to venison in any event. Would not shoot if I knew others deer hunters were close.

Boolit Grand Master

Even deer that are not accustomed to the sound of gun fire are not alarmed by it unless it is close. The sound of humans walking in the woods alarms them much more. I've hunted a lot of coyotes through the years. It's not uncommon too be watching deer while calling. Unless they are close normally they jerk their head towards the shot and stare for a little while and go back to what they were doing. I've had deer less than two hundred yards not spoked by multiple .243 shots.

One bow hunting technique I use when a lot if you have long fields or grass lands with a wooded stream running through them is to post one person at least a section away (sections are a long long) and have one other person slowly and silently Zigzag through the woods toward the person on stand. The deer will basically graze away for the walker. Then will kept 300 or 400 yards ahead of the walker. They will take a few steps and stop and listen. Makes for ideal bow shots.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-06-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The grouse I have eaten didn't turn me on much. Maybe because it was either spruce grouse or ptarmigan. If I was going to shoot something for the pot I'd rather it be a mammal like a squirrel or rabbit. Maybe a cat. They are very good. I have eaten porcupine but it's a PITA because of the fat. I expect groundhog, etc. would be as well. I don't see any reason to not shoot for the pot if the opportunity presents itself. Someone above mentioned using an S&W .22. That's OK but I have put my faith in an S&W .32. They hit harder, and just as quiet with light loads, and are easily reloadable. Mine is a 4" in .32 H&R mag. but I have some light loads for it that are, I think, quieter than a .22 LR. Keep the velocity below Mach 1.

Boolit Master

Grouse cooked over a open fire fond memories , yes I shoot them when hunting deer .

Boolit Man
    The attack capabilities of a tender young grouse are underestimated by novice hunters. Who knows how many people are maimed or killed each year? So, I do what I have to do when in a tight spot, safety first.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlocke View Post
    The attack capabilities of a tender young grouse are underestimated by novice hunters. Who knows how many people are maimed or killed each year? So, I do what I have to do when in a tight spot, safety first.
    A couple years ago, a grouse was hanging around one of our shooting ranges, It would come out and attack the tires of passing vehicles, and would also come up to a person and peck at their foot. The grouse would have a "What are you doing here?" expression.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I have not hunted deer or elk for years because of Grouse .

Out of state license less then $100 in Colorado
    No worries of meat going bad because of warm weather
    season is 2 1/2 month
    limit is 3 Grouse a day 6 Grouse in possession
    short drive if I want to go for the day
    daily shooting and easy to pack
    Really best when doing backpacking trip fishing and hunting

Answered yes because i hunt for meat.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

In pa we can't hunt small game while deer hunting otherwise I would

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast