RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...a bit of noise is no big deal

71 68.93%
  • No...I try to stay quite

32 31.07%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

Boolit Master

I've seen a guy chase 'em down on foot and grab them by the neck.
    not exactly quiet but it saves on ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Would you shoot a grouse while deer hunting?

I would not but it reminds me of my brother in law
    We were elk hunting in Montana and we just came back to the truck and saw a grouse on the side of the two track
    I said to my bil bet you can't hit that grouse he took aim and fired his 338 wm and hit that grouse and exploded it
    there was nothing left not a darn thing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    I dont think we can here in Michigan, small game is closed during firearms season. If this is purely hypothetical, then yes, on the walk out after hunting I would shoot something for the pot.
    Not only is small game season not closed during firearm deer season, Small game season is open in Mi. 365 days a year with many species open year around with no bag limits.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...t_461177_7.pdf
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    We have so few grouse now that I won't shoot them during grouse season. Used to be prolific. That said, l love those harley birds. Walk em up and flush em if you can. Them flush em again.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Very interesting. I cannot legally do it here, and would not do it anyway.

Like others have commented, we will shoot a coyote.
    Ruff grouse is open from Dec 1 to Jan 1 state wide. This makes it legal to shoot them during the Dec muzzle loading season.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master
    No grouse around here, but I have shot squirrels with my deer rifle. Usually only the ones that sit about ten yards away and raise he double toothpicks at you quietly sitting there.

They are usually close enough that I used the point of the lower duplex for a sight instead of the crosshair. Head shots only, a high power rifle will destroy any edible parts on body shots and you need to have a safe backstop; no blue sky behind the critter.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Last one I shot I cut its head off like a gilitine with an expandable broadhead. Shot a doe a few minutes later...good day!

I had a friend do that several times with his .338 WM.....he kept forgetting to hold high on close shots with a scope. 210 Noslers @ 3000 don’t leave much camp meat! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I agree with others that deer aren't really scared off by the sound of gun fire. If it's common in their area, they get used to it. We have a herd that will graze the grass at our trap range while folks shoot right over the top of them.
    Here in Mi. grouse is open during the Dec muzzle loading season. I have taken many grouse while deer hunting, and a few rabbits too. I built a CVA Kentucky pistol kit just for that purpose. I had the barrel bored from .50 to .545 smooth. I load it with 28ga. shot cups with #6 over 28 grs. fff. Works a charm out to about 20 yds.
    Last edited by fastdadio; 02-04-2021 at 06:51 AM.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Man

We don't have many grouse left around here, but we do have a season. Given the scarcity of opportunity and my desire to bag one in-state, I rather the bird than the deer.

Don't think the deer don't know the difference between a high powered rifle round, which can easily be heard for miles.

And a low powered grouse/rabbit load with a light bullet and maybe 3 grains of Red Dot.
    Quiet as a .22lr, can often shoot exactly to the sights, just shorter range.

I have shot many grouse while deer hunting. But if I was stalking I probably would not.

But we did a lot of driving chunks of woods, brush with posters at the far end. A little noise was no problem.

If I was tree stand hunting I probably wouldn't unless I was pretty sure there was no deer within a mile.

All depends on how you hunt. No wrong answer here IMO. Only choices and differences.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Banned

We don't have grouse here. I generally hunt from tree stands or ground blinds, and usually don't shoot anything while I'm out. I did kill a coyote during muzzle loader season, young, dumb one decided to commit suicide and walked out in the open in front of a bored guy with a rifle. Left it lie while I reloaded the rifle. Later that evening, had a fawn come in and sniff the carcass.

I don't think it would spook deer that badly, but I still likely wouldn't if I wanted to get a deer. Coyotes will be shot if seen and I have anything that shoots. Missed one with the cross bow this past season, darn it. Hopefully didn't educate him too much and may get him another day with the 12 gauge.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a wee lad, I 30-30'd a grouse whilst deer hunting. While my dad was glad i got the grouse, he was none too happy with my shot placement...

I’ve shot lots of mountain chickens while deer hunting, it’s usually a precursor to a buck

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Not only is small game season not closed during firearm deer season, Small game season is open in Mi. 365 days a year with many species open year around with no bag limits.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...t_461177_7.pdf
    I am not sure I understand. Rabbit, grouse, and squirrel are not open 356 and are not open during rifle season.

Boolit Grand Master

I would and I have, good camp meat.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Absolutely, I believe that's what these are made for (in modern times at least). 35wcf in this case - many a grouse and bunny have met the fire with these in my family.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Absolutely, I believe that's what these are made for (in modern times at least). 35wcf in this case - many a grouse and bunny have met the fire with these in my family.

Doesn't look like it has primer and what the slot cut in the side for?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Doesn't look like it has primer and what the slot cut in the side for?
    There are actually 3 slots - they hold a "sub caliber cartridge"(380 acp in this case) and there is a plunger which is struck by the firing pin to fire the cartridge. It's a Marble's cartridge adapter.

Boolit Buddy
    If I am deer hunting... that is what I hunt..I set and wait for the shot.. the coyotes took out most of the game birds in my area, when I am not hunting deer. I hunt coyotes.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast