WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: giant gun sale

Boolit Master

giant gun sale

for anyone interested there is a giant 4 day gun auction started online this morning at rock island auction
    no I'm not affiliated, but wish I had a bunch of money to buy some of there stuff

I have a rare gun that I sent some pics to RIA to see if they would sell it and what they thought it might bring.
    They sent me some full color catalogs for upcoming auctions for about 2 years that must have cost them quite a bit but I think I turned them off and offended them when I told them with their high costs I would never sell a gun thru them. Depending on whether it is a major or regional auction their fees are either 18 or 20 percent from BOTH the seller and the buyer. 40 % of a guns sales price is crazy to me, even if they would get more money than I could I will not pay that kind of fees.

Jedman

Boolit Master

If I sell a firearm through my dealer she only charges 10%
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Like everything else,, You get what you pay for. Selling through a major auction house exposes your firearm to, literally thousands of qualified buyers. Your local dealer only puts your gun on the shelf and waits for someone to make an offer. If you are selling your Stevens mod. 67, your local dealer is a good choice. If you are selling your Holland and Holland double rifle you have a far better chance of getting top dollar with a respected auction house. Not going to sell many $40,000 double rifles through Ma & Pa's Gun Gallery. Just Saying, Nobody works for free>

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Like everything else,, You get what you pay for. Selling through a major auction house exposes your firearm to, literally thousands of qualified buyers. Your local dealer only puts your gun on the shelf and waits for someone to make an offer. If you are selling your Stevens mod. 67, your local dealer is a good choice. If you are selling your Holland and Holland double rifle you have a far better chance of getting top dollar with a respected auction house. Not going to sell many $40,000 double rifles through Ma & Pa's Gun Gallery. Just Saying, Nobody works for free>
    I get your drift but what is a fair price to pay ? I also have some old classic cars and buy and sell them whatever way seems best. I see cars listed on eBay for over a half a million dollars with a buy it now ?? Now who is going to buy anything for that kind of money without seeing it first. To me when the selling price goes higher the commission percentage should go down. If I sell a gun for $ 10000 at auction I cannot see only receiving $ 8000 for it. Maybe that’s just me but I can’t deal that way.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    There is a local auction house in my area that has online auctions and I thought I might consign some spare primers as the selling price has gone stupid. I asked one of the staff what they charge for selling items and was told they get 30% for sales under $100 and 20% for items over $100. Plus the seller gets to pay another 15%. I decided to just keep my primers.

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...st//all/0/0/1/ is a good source to hunt for auction listings, just have to watch those house fees because they can be high (20%+)

Vendor Sponsor

My first thought upon reading the title
    giant gun sale

How big? Someone has Humpty Dumpty for sale?
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-18-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    The auction fees are pretty similar for the major auto auctions like Barrett Jackson or Mecum. Buyer and seller cough up a hefty percentage of every sale price. I have a friend who sells at Mecum sometimes and has given me the rundown on how the whole thing works (from his perspective). Once you know the exact percentages it’s fun to watch the televised auction and figure out how much the auction house made since the last comercial break. And that doesn’t include their advertising fees if you want to be featured in the print/online media! They bring in money hand over fist!

Banned
    Buy and sell on Armslist. No papers, no fees.

There is a auction company in my area that does seem to be more fair. They charge the seller a flat 15 % fee for no reserve auctions. The buyer’s actually only pay the price they bid plus sales tax if the guns are auctioned at the auction companies house. If they do a estate auction at a private residence then there is no sales tax and no paper work you just need to prove your residence and age. I posted this once before and several people almost called me a liar but I have bought guns at their estate auctions and did no 4473 paperwork, just paid the bid price and walked away. Not all guns go for crazy high prices but probably at least 80 % of them sell for way more than what I believe there value to be as I buy and sell a lot of guns. Like any auction it takes 2 or more buyers who really want something to make the price go crazy.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    My first thought upon reading the title
    giant gun sale

How big? Someone has Humpty Dumpty for sale?
    Lol. That was what I was hoping it would be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AD2A632-6599-4854-B169-79E976CF74E7.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	282031

Boolit Master

I first read it as "Giant Gun SAFE" and was expecting a tale of wrestling an oversized safe into the house.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

My neighbor is the consummate gun scrounger, he watches a bunch of different auction sites he gets unbelievable deals on fine guns. His latest is a fine engraved German 12 ga. Shotgun in its original leather case with all of its makers accoutrements for $500.00 off a air gun forum, I must get pictures of this gun. He tells me yesterday he just won a Big Horn Armory 500 S&W lever gun, CCH is a $1200.00 option brand new in the box for $1500.00. He buys only nice guns no crap guns,he just knows where to look.