Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS manual review

RCBS manual review

I purchased this manual to see what secrets it contains. Not much over the Lyman manual, but a bit different take on casting technique. If you were new to casting it'd be helpful, but I wouldn't give up my Lyman manual. Where it's useful is for the data if you use RCBS bullets. It's worth having as a supplement to the Lyman manual but, somewhat limited on data and cartridges.

Overall it was a neat little manual.

Boolit Master
    I bought the RCBS book years ago; I guess it's the only one they ever did. Agreed, it's useful to a point but doesn't compare with the Lyman book.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I bought the RCBS book years ago; I guess it's the only one they ever did. Agreed, it's useful to a point but doesn't compare with the Lyman book.
    I bought the RCBS book ages ago. Having read the lyman I was somewhat disappointed. John Wooters book "handloading" had an excellent section on cast boolits, but IMHO the only book that is in the same league as the Lyman CBH is Col. E.H. Harrison's tome from the NRA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Smile

Coincidentally, I reread that book yesterday just to check (or recheck) powder selections and charges for the CB's I use. Although they recommend more of certain powders than I typically use, RCBS's suggestion are quite good. Btw, the section on alloys and heat treatment was written by the late Dennis Marshall, who did the same for Lyman in their CB Manual 3rd Ed. and I think E.H. Harrison's Cast Bullets as well.
    Last edited by Maven; 02-03-2021 at 03:01 PM.

I noticed that Maven.

I've not had a chance to read Harrison's book yet, but I've read all the Lyman cast bullet handbooks.