MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: umerex/ruger .177 accuracy

Boolit Bub

umerex/ruger .177 accuracy

What pellet do you shoot and how does your gun group. Mine is a splatter gun at best with daisy and crossman pellets.

Boolit Master

I have the best luck with the crossmen hollow points for accuracy in all my air rifles.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Try jsb pellets all airguns I ever shot like those

Crosman CPHPs are a fine pinker, well made and consistent in performance. JSB Exact 15.89g domes give me hole in hole accuracy so they are my choice when it counts.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have shot Crossman with success, may favorites are H&N Field Trophy & the RWS Superdomes. I never could get the JSB's to shoot, nothing against those but not my cup of tea.

Boolit Master
    Only experience I have with a Ruger ..i built a set of iron sights for a young man and mounted them on his rifle. It punched out nickel sized groups consistently- 10-20 shot groups at 35 yds- with regular crossman pellets. That was one exceptional rifle.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Both of my Umarex Octane air rifles are .22 caliber so this may not be a fair comparison. Depending on the Ruger model you're shooting I suspect that your air rifle may just be a Umarex Octane wearing a Ruger pattern stock. They shoot the heavier Jumbo heavies the best but those are more expensive than the cheaper 14.3 grain Crossman Hollow Point Premier pellets so being that I'm cheap by nature I shoot the less expensive pellets.

I found also that one of the main reasons for any lack of accuracy out of my Umarex break barrel air rifles was due to the overly heavy out of the box trigger pull. I ended up installing an aftermarket Match-Grade-Trigger component and it seemed to have mitigated the heavy trigger pull variable quite a bit.

If you get the chance, you might try slightly heavier pellets than you are used to. I don't know why exactly but for me it seems that the heavier pellets just seem to hit what I'm aiming at alot more often and the groups just tighten up more; although the lighter pellets in my guns shoot well too.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    For any .177 rifle or pistol you should give the Beeman coated wadcutters a try. They group best in every .177 gun I've used them in.
    They are especially good in revolvers or rifles with a revolver type cylinder, like the Crosman 10/77.

Boolit Man
    JSB and Air Arms 8.4gr from online retailer Pyramid air is best at that guns power level if......

Check mechanical accuracy problems first. Barrel crown? Loose stock screws is a biggie! Breech seal and barrel lockup looseness too. Shooting technique for a fairly powerful jumpy spring is a learned skill. This is not an expensive gun, so it may need a bit more sorting out than the Diana 34 series guns it is based on.