RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with info on a lee enfield and other rifles i picked up today.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Need help with info on a lee enfield and other rifles i picked up today.

I picked a few guns up from someone today. The lee enfield is a No 5 MK1 and looks like it’s brand new. It’s the nicest shape Lee enfield I ever came across. The bolt is silver with makes me think it’s reconditioned or was it issued this way? If someone wants to help with info on the others that would great as well. One is a 38 WFC 1873, a Winchester 1902 22lr, a brand new 22 Lr muzzle loader, a traditions 50 cal, a rolling block...no listing for caliber but guessing 32 rimfire? ...and a few other things. Hubby passed away and the wife was getting rid of his toys.

And a few more I picked up...

I bought more stuff just got tired posting. I bough several 8pound powders I as well. Figured I’d sell some of the stuff off to recoup my money. I am going back tomorrow for a mosin carbine with a bayonet that looks pristine for a $100

Put Enfield No. 5 MK 1 in a search engine, then click 'images'.

You'll see the bolts both ways on pristine rifles.
    Rifles that have been reconditioned usually still have some dings in the stock after being refinished.

Yours is probably unissued, and all original.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Your rifle is a No.4 Mk.1*. What appears to you to be a 5 is actually an S indicating that it was made by Savage Arms in the U.S. The asterisk indicates a slight difference from British production in that the rail on which the bolt slides has a gap near the front. When properly aligned the bolt head can be flipped upward through the gad and then pulled to the rear out of the receiver. The British version had a gap near the rear of the rail with a spring loaded plunger that, when pushed downward, allowed the bolt head to be pushed upward for withdrawal. There was a No.5, the Jungle Carbine.

DG

Boolit Mold
    The Enfield is actually a No. 4 Mk. 1*. The 5 is a squared off S which means it was made by Savage Stevens in the US and supplied to Britain during WW2 as part of the Lend Lease program. It should also be stamped US Property on the top of the action side rail. Nice rifle that looks to have gone through a rebuild. Savage made No. 4 Mk. 1* Enfields would have originally had a grayish parkerized finish. Does the bolt serial number match the serial number on the side of the receiver ring? It would be the number that starts with '71C'. The bolt should be the same finish as the rest of the rifle so it is not the original finish.

Still a nice rifle and should be a good shooter.

Oh my goodness, look at the goodies.
    Isn't the .22 blackpowder rifle a swivel breech? I remember reading about those- you loaded powder and a #4 buckshot into the front of the breech, then swiveled it back in line, capped it and fired it. The ball swaged down to .22 upon firing. So cool.
    The grooves on the handguard are exclusive to the Savage made #4(I think)- that's the model I always wanted.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Wild guess time. The rifle above the 1873 Winchester appears to be some type of Flobert. The one under the 1902 Winchester looks like a Stevens to me.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Texas by God beat me to it, yes that little rifle in the box is a RMAC .22 breachloader. I saved a Guns magazine from 1974? that featured that little rifle , with an article I believe written by Claire Reese, if I remember correctly. I was a young lad at that time and wanted one of those BADLY! Twenty five years later I found one at a gun show.

They could be fired with black powder or a tiny charge of bullseye, and a #4 buckshot, with a little grease on top of the ball, like a BP revolver. To fire it you used a paper punch to punch out a toy cap, and it fit inside a little plastic cap holder, that fit on the back of the rotating chamber turret.

They were advertised with either a plastic or wood stock, for around $20. I am positive a larger .36 and .44 caliber model were advertized, but I later read none were ever sold. I believe the maker later made those tiny .22 revolvers, that fit in the belt buckles.

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards, I'd sure like to see some photos of the stuff that came in the box, like the cap holders and I think there was a tool like a screwdriver handle with a cupped end, to seat the buckshot in the chamber. My rifle didn't even come with a good story

I'll post some more pics tomorrow. I got overwhelmed with all the stuff! I forgot half of.the other stuff I packaged up with with it. I bought seven, 8 pound kegs of powder, 4 one pounders, and 5 cans of black powder, a box of jacked 180 grain .308 j words I could hardly lift, the same with 303 words, a tin filled with loaded 303 soft points, a 1907 new looking bayonete marked wilkenson that's going on my Winchester Enfield, a lee larger model zero error 30-30 die set, an old brass mold that has both a ball and pointed boolit...I'm sure I'm forgetting more. Tomorrow I'm going back for a really good looking moson nagant carbine with a bayonet for a $100 that I passed up today. There were alot of lee Enfields, 1891 and 1909 Argentine, and mosins to pick over. I grabbed what thought were od balls. The lee enfiled is all martching with not a scratch in the wood or bluing. Looks brand spanking new! I found it in a gun case. The rest were in safes and had alot of normal wear. My buddy bought a 12 winchester pump that was basically brand new for $150 and a 760 30-06 extremely clean for $350 for his kids. He was the one who took me over to the honeycomb hide out so I helped him pick out some nice guns for his kids. I passed on some single shotguns , another 1902 Winchester with a heavier bull barrel, savage semi auto 22lr. There was also a self defence cold steel knife I knew was expensive I tipped my buddy off on. They gave it to him along with bundling some other stuff. Turned out to be a $200 knife! My favorite was a bunch of nude paintings on black velvet. Think buddy going snag them as well. I wont post what I bought all my stuff for but it would make a strong man weep. I plan on pawing a few things off till I brake even on my haul.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-03-2021 at 12:16 AM.

The 22lr muzzel loader is brand new still wrapped in plastic! It has cast boolits in the box with it.

It might be one of the things I part with to re coop some of my spending spree. It even has a buffalo target in the box.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-03-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Years ago, a buddy and I got in on a deal where a widow just wanted the guns gone.
    Money wasn't an issue, she just wanted them out of the house.
    She didn't know the difference between a .22 pistol and a Mountain Howitzer, and wasn't going to learn either.

Rather than just cherry pick the good stuff, we made her a fair offer for what they were, and bought the ugly children too.
    For her, it was 'once and done', and everybody was happy.

EVERYONE!

There are four rooms full of stuff. I picked out some of the powder and bullets I could use and planed to give to some of my buddies since I will never use it all.

I'm gonna have my buddy pick up a couple of unopened tuna cans of 7.62x54r tomorrow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Tripplebeards, I'd sure like to see some photos of the stuff that came in the box, like the cap holders and I think there was a tool like a screwdriver handle with a cupped end, to seat the buckshot in the chamber. My rifle didn't even come with a good story
    There is a plastic tool they looks like a cake frosting shooter that must be used to load the gun.

Boolit Master
    Threads like this are the reason I'm parting with stuff I don't really need or haven't used in a while. Hate to think about some guy talking about the great deal he got on a pile of my stuff, even if he doesn't know what it is, and the wife ending up with a fraction of what it is worth. Anyway, nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Threads like this are the reason I'm parting with stuff I don't really need or haven't used in a while. Hate to think about some guy talking about the great deal he got on a pile of my stuff, even if he doesn't know what it is, and the wife ending up with a fraction of what it is worth. Anyway, nice find.
    I thought the same thing. Apparently there were piles of firearms and pistols that were sold and gone already. I was having an ulcer thinking about if it was my stuff and a stranger was rummaging through my house. I ran out and did some errands for the lady yesterday as well and bought her some valentine candy. She must have liked and trusted me because i was handed $1200 to run and get here some gift cards for her. Never been there before and had been looking for and hour or two before I was asked to run errands...and I was extremely happy to do so. Before I go I will end up willing my stuff to my.god.childen and what ever they dont want will sold off before I'm gone. It didn't even look like I made a dent in what she had left. Someone must had been there and cleaned out all the primers previously. I will will end up keeping the lee enfiled, the traditions muzzle loader, and probably the 1873. The rest of the guns ill.probably clean up and sell off or they will sit in a corner like where in bought them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-03-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards,

Excellent post. I have seen this scenario many times in the past after I retired from law enforcement and began appraising guns and equipment. I have made my arrangements for my stuff. Any historic arms are going to my local historical society for permanent display. The 501 C(3) society letter will offset any taxes for my estate.

Adam

^^^that's awesome. Sharing this makes us all think hard. I will leaving most of stuff to some who will use or benefit from it. My "buddy" that didn't want to take me there is back buying as we speak. He wanted to go back bu himself after I told him all the guns were worth approx $5/600 each
    I did grab me the mossin I wanted with a banote but M is changing me $25...nice friend. He bought 8 mosin and 3 lee Enfields all for a $100 each. His plans are to put them all on on GB just to make a buck. He wants me to help him list everything. It might cost him a gun since he charges me when I ask for help.

My buddy bought 8 mosin nagants and no4 mk1 lee Enfields for $125 each and 7 crates of double tuna can 7.69x54r ammo sealed for another $200. He figured he spent enough. There were more of both guns there but he said the last ones were kind ruff. Im buy buying one of the mosin carbine with bayonet for a $125 and a crate of 7.65x39 for with one of the tuna cans opened but still full for $30.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Threads like this are the reason I'm parting with stuff I don't really need , and the wife ending up with a fraction of what it is worth. Anyway, nice find.
    I've been aggressively thinning my herd for the same reasons.

I'm getting some accumulated stuff back out in circulation to people that will use and enjoy it,
    and avoiding the chance that some of it will end up in the dump.
    Or worse; sit in a closet until it gets stolen.

EVERYONE!

Yep, pretty sad ordeal imo. My buddy said the last two times he went there stuff was thrown everywhere. Completely disrespectful people going through and looking. We he and I went through stuff we put it all back.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-03-2021 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast