Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with info on a lee enfield and other rifles i picked up today.

Boolit Master

About two years ago, my daughter and granddaughter were talking about something, when my granddaughter stopped, and then said "In a few years, I will get all of Dad's guns, Grandpa Mickey's guns, all of grandad's and grandma's guns, and all of your guns." With that girl around, I don't have to worry about my guns finding a good home.

Both her parents are only children, same as her, so she won't have any competition.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'm single so I better get to work finding a ready made family to inherit my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I'm single so I better get to work finding a ready made family to inherit my stuff.
    Here we are! Over here!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I already refinished the stock on the Winchester 1902 and completely stripped the rust and bluing off with a vinegar bath. It’s turning out really nice. I should jav3 bought the other one as well. Waiting for my Oxpho blue to show up in the mail. The third one from the bottom(Flobert) has no listing for what caliber it is. 22lr is bigger than the bore diameter so I would assume it’s a 6mm/CB cap chambering? There is no writing on the barrel accept for proof marks. Don’t ask me how I know a 22lr is to powerful for it.

a good friend died four years ago and his non shooting brother inhirted it all and ask me to help him catolog the rifles-pistols-muzzle loaders-shotguns and i spent three weeks with him going thru them and pricing them among other things, ammo-scopes-stocks- reloading supplies. after we got done. he ask me if i wanted any of the things as he was going to send them to auction and i said yes, with that he said give me 75 precent of the prices we put on them. i spent close to 30,000 dollars. i didn,t buy any handguns(over 90).

Well I'm basically ready for my oxpho blu to show up for project rifle #1....the 1902 Winchester. It had a couple of really deep gouges I couldn't get out. Soaked the stock several times and also tried to iron them out. It still looks great imo even with the couple of imperfections. A vinegar bath ate all the rust and bluing off in a few hours. I filed off 99% of the pitting and polished the bolt
    The rifle has already been already claimed by my pops. He told me had one when he was a kid so I gave it to him.

That went way to fast...now which one for project number 2???
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-06-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    That old gumwood stock turned out beautiful !

The other side has a really funky design as well. That’s gumwood? I love the pattern on it. Wish all my wood stocks were this type of wood.

Oxpho blued the complete gun a few hours ago and just put it back together and test fired. It looks and works like it’s brand new again.

I’m either going to take the day off tomorrow from guns...or start working on the Flobert next.

That sure came out looking good! I have a few old 22 single shots, also with one piece barrel/actions. If you'll give me your address I'll send them over ....
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Well I hope the guy who previously owned the guns is looking down on them. I think he’d like what I did. I have to start looking for parts for the 1873 Winchester now. Don’t know if my budget will allow that gun to ever be completed. It only took an $18 bottle of Oxpho blue along with some sand paper, boiled Lind seed oil, and some Johnson’s paste wax I had laying around to complete the first three. I did order about $33 with the parts for the R Murdock. The front sight, rear sight leaf, and a lever spring and screw. I’ll probably make a front forend out if walnut if I end up keeping the rifle.

The 32 R Murdock...

My faux case hardening look after the metal darkened with oiling it...

And the 6mm Flobert...

The trigger guard was originally threaded into the metal receiver. The threads were stripped and the trigger guard sat proud and loose out of the hole. I JB welded it in place. I’ll wait a day till it dries to put it back together. The front tang area will pull in flush when I screw the barrel back in place.

The thumb lever is broken off on the Flobert breech block. Never noticed till I blued it. I’ll have see if I can find one. It’s purely cosmetic but I’d like to find one for it. The Flobert I definitely am keeping. Just will have to wait to shoot it in a few years when CB shorts and longs will be back in the shelves. What ever metal they used on this gun is a lot softer than all my firearms. It seemed to keep sweating oil out of it no matter how many times I degreased it as well. Finally got a good even coat of bluing on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oTzK3HA.jpg  
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-22-2021 at 09:33 AM.

What a beauty! That's a work of passion. That would be a fun gun to have.

I found 22 long and shorts on our shelves. A bit pricey and not knowing how they might perform I passed up on them.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    What a beauty! That's a work of passion. That would be a fun gun to have.

I found 22 long and shorts on our shelves. A bit pricey and not knowing how they might perform I passed up on them.
    I went to one of the LGS and found 6mm RWS ammo!!! Both round ball and pointed lead ammo in stock. I bought one tin of the pointed ammo to try since it was almost $40 for a 100 rounds. They gave me a good guy discount so i saved about $7. I was told that ammo had been sitting on the shelf for years and was the original price they set when they received it. I figured I want to see if its accurate since the barrel had a food amount of rust that I removed with an overnight vinegar bath. It looks like there is no pitting and I can see very light rifling. When I clean the barrel with my Tipton rod it spins because the rifling is grabbing it. I'm sure it will shoot just fine but I didn't want to buy any more expensive ammo till I know for sure. I might wait till I can find cheaper cci CB ammo.

After restoring the above I was brave enough to tackle the domascus barrels on my 1873 Charles Daly 10 gauge today...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12