WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading ?

Boolit Buddy

Why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading ?

So often a single stage press is recommended to every new reloader.

The typical reason is to learn the process. You can thread a die one time and learn the process on a turret or progressive. Watching one case on a turret or progressive is not significantly more difficult than batch loading one at a time. So do not reply with learn the process.

Please note, the subject line says handgun. Rifle is a different animal with advantages to hand crafting rounds for precision long distance. So please don't go off subject.

Always finding a use for a Single Stage is often mentioned. Maybe for rifle. But the Turrets and Dillon 550 work as a single stage. So, please don't bring this up.

The volume of a turret or progressive is significant over a single stage. Many choose a single stage kit to get started. Some manufacturers sell Turret Kits. So they end up as a second press collecting dust once they realize their single stage cannot keep up with their shooting.

I cannot see a single stage for handgun loading. An inexpensive Lee Turret for Handgun seems much more productive and enjoyable.

Let's watch how many people did not read this being about handgun only, learning the process not valid and always finding a use for a Single Stage as not a reason.

If someone is on a budget, it's the best way to get them into reloading.
    Or if they are only going to reload a few hundred here & there, it works, and still get's ya out from in front of the TV for awhile.

With a single stage, the investment is minimal, and after doing some reloading, there are people who just don't like to do it.
    For those, they don't have a large investment to put in the attic to die.

Nothing wrong with starting off on a progressive, but for most people, starting with a single stage works like
    getting something other than a new Corvette for your first car when ya turn 16.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    A turret is a single stage with a turret tool holder. The only advantage I can see is they are cheaper than a comparable turret . But my turret is my single stage for all handgun use. Before I had the LCT or the APP I used a single stage for de-capping but both of the Lee presses catch primers and residue better than either of the single stage presses I have so I don't even use them for that. I think a turret is a great starter press . And I am about 48 years past starting. And it's the handiest all round press on my bench not the best for every thing but very versatile and easy to use.

Other than what you said, I see little reason to specifically keep a single stage for pistol. They are mighty handy though. Can't bulge bust or pass through size bullets on my 650.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I used a Hollywood single stage press for over 35 years before getting my first progressive, and it served me just fine. I wasn't loading the volume then that I now do, and that's simply because I didn't have the time or money back then to get something more expensive. That used press and a set of dies cost me $25.00 in 1963, and that was a lot of money for a college student to put out for a "hobby". When you're not putting out thousands of rounds of ammunition, and your needs are only a few hundred over a period of time, then a single stage press makes a lot of sense, especially if the reloader isn't into just blasting ammo down range.

I've seen more reloading mistakes made by first time reloaders who plunged right in and bought a progressive press as their first press. The learning curve was just too steep for them, since there was more going on than just reloading an empty case. The biggest mistakes were primer seating and squib loads, and I still see them today from people just getting into the game. With a single stage press, they're doing one step at a time, and it makes them concentrate on that one step. Some people are mechanically inclined, and some aren't, so a blanket statement that there's no use for a single stage press for loading handgun rounds is most likely incorrect for a lot of people.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a waste of money to buy a SS if the intent is to load handgun rounds like 9mm. .38 .40 etc that someone shoots in quantity.

If loading .460. .480 etc where you might shoot 20-40 a week it is good choice.
    Don Verna

If someone was wanting to do very small batches, odd ball process, someone just wants something to do, someone has more time than money or wants one arm bigger than the other.

** I would need to know how many calibers they intend to load for.
    ** I would need to know how many rounds they intend to load per caliber
    ** I would need to know their budget.

All things considered, high round count for one or two calibers go progressive. Low round count, multiple calibers a single stage may be the ticket.

As always, YMMV

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Master
    Some of us simply are not in such a big hurry. I started out with a single stage. Still have it. NO plans to upgrade.

Boolit Grand Master

A shooter who only needs small quantities of ammo in various calibers. Working up loads, some things are done easier on a single stage than on a progressive. I have 2 650s on the bench, but still do test, trial or work ups on the single stage.

The newer progressives are better with the case actuated powder drops, case feeders , and other up grades they have. Older progressives drop a charge with or with out a case present. Most of the newer skip a case and a primer is going in the spent hopper.

There is a learning curve to reloading and the equipment. Yes you can run a progressive 1 case at a time. Learning what each step is and how it feels acts is a big plus to the new reloader.

If all you want to do is load large quantities of blasting ammo or plinking ammo but if you want to work up the best most accurate load then the single stage or turret to work up. once found and documented the progressive to load large quantities of the said load.

The single stage allows for bullet pullers, file and trim dies, and other special tools to be used easier.

I generally recommend a single stage press for three reasons, it's cheap, it's simple, it's versatile.

Folks get into reloading always ask something like, what's the cheapest way to get into loading? They don't want to spend 150-300 on a turret, or 300-600+ on a progressive to see if they like reloading. For a hundred dollars they get can the minimum that's needed for one or maybe two calibers.

It's simple, okay so a turret is simple too. But a progressive is not simple compared to a single stage. It isn't as easy to adjust multiple things at once and remember it all. And when it goes awry, there are half a dozen things it could be compared to on a single stage, there are generally only two things, die body depth and die stem depth in the body. That's enough to throw off a new loader though. Mistakes made can be critical enough that serious injury or death could result, so the utmost in care must be taken to learn the steps correctly and the reasons for each step.

Versatility of a single stage over a progressive is self explanatory. Over a turret not so much. But the main reason not to go with a turret is it's increased cost.

Another factor associated with getting started on a budget is availability of the press. In normal times single stages are nearly everywhere.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I generally recommend a single stage press for three reasons, it's cheap, it's simple, it's versatile.

Folks get into reloading always ask something like, what's the cheapest way to get into loading? They don't want to spend 150-300 on a turret, or 300-600+ on a progressive to see if they like reloading. For a hundred dollars they get can the minimum that's needed for one or maybe two calibers.

It's simple, okay so a turret is simple too. But a progressive is not simple compared to a single stage. It isn't as easy to adjust multiple things at once and remember it all. And when it goes awry, there are half a dozen things it could be compared to on a single stage, there are generally only two things, die body depth and die stem depth in the body. That's enough to throw off a new loader though. Mistakes made can be critical enough that serious injury or death could result, so the utmost in care must be taken to learn the steps correctly and the reasons for each step.

Versatility of a single stage over a progressive is self explanatory. Over a turret not so much. But the main reason not to go with a turret is it's increased cost.

Another factor associated with getting started on a budget is availability of the press. In normal times single stages are nearly everywhere.
    Agreed. I have been using an RCBS single stage since the early 80's off and on. Really kicked back in in 2014 when I got my Ruger BH in 44 Special; at that time they were $44 a box. And then because I am OCD on accuracy, I kept experimenting on just the right combination of boolit and powder. Loading maybe 20 at a time, test them, etc. And then I might load some 32S&W Longs, or try out my home cast 148 grain WC's. Suits me down to the ground. I sure don't load 4,000 rounds a day, most is may be 50. And with the primer drought, even fewer.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If someone is on a budget, it's the best way to get them into reloading.
    Or if they are only going to reload a few hundred here & there, it works, and still get's ya out from in front of the TV for awhile.

With a single stage, the investment is minimal, and after doing some reloading, there are people who just don't like to do it.
    For those, they don't have a large investment to put in the attic to die.

Nothing wrong with starting off on a progressive, but for most people, starting with a single stage works like
    getting something other than a new Corvette for your first car when ya turn 16.
    What he ^^^ said. But I will address the elephant in the room, which is that great big empty spot in the corner where the reloading components should be sitting. If someone were to ask me whether they should get a single stage or progressive, my answer (today) would be neither until you find the components.

As the OP stated you can do many (but not all) single stage functions on a progressive, but it can be a bit of a pain at times swapping conversion kits/shell plates for a momentary function. Conversion kits for each caliber as opposed to a collection of commonly used shell holders for that oddball whatever that comes up. With the magic of the internet, a cheap single stage can be had easily and should be standard equipment with any first time progressive press purchase.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Another thing I've seen regularly with new people is like this; "yea so I have a 7mm-08 but I don't want to load for it because I'm super happy with X factory round, I really am only interested in loading for my pistols." We all know how that turns out, you end up loading for the rifle too.

Just the other day I seen a thread that had something like, "I don't want to buy a single stage press, how can I make an adapter to use my lee push through dies on my Hornady/Dillion progressive?"
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-02-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Most used caliber for me is 45 ACP, maybe 100-150 rounds a week. Use a Lyman T-Mag for them size and deprime all of them and then rotate turret and expand them. Prime off press with a little Lee C press and the Lee Auto-prime II. Set in loading trays and charge with a Forster-Bonanza fixed rotor powder measure, inspect to make sure didn't miss or double charge any. Start bullets (Lee 452-200 SWC) by hand and move the block to the press. Seat all the bullets and then rotate turret again and crimp. Probably take and hour or a bit more for the whole operation. Rifle loading is one on an RCBS RC usually in batches of 50. If I was going through ammo like many competition shooters I could see the utility of a progressive but don't know of many non competition shooters whose ammo demand would justify the costs. OTOH if you can afford it and it floats your boat go for it.

Banned
    I use mine for swaging...SO
    Single stage presses (the heavy ones) are FAR more flexible.

Boolit Master
    Main thing would be cost of getting started. When I started, i bought a Lee wack a mole, then RCBS single stage.
    Then at 65 got a Dillon 650. Still have all 3. It’s all about where you are in life.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 02-02-2021 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Word change

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    ... When you're not putting out thousands of rounds of ammunition, and your needs are only a few hundred over a period of time, then a single stage press makes a lot of sense, ....

Fred
    There is the answer.

The only realistic middle ground is Lee's Classic Turret with it's auto-indexing feature.
    Last edited by 1hole; 02-02-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I think everybody has good points hear BUT if you load pistol rounds and rifle the cost of set up gets way up there and we the true reloaders know that it becomes a sickness ! and you will end up with every type of press because were sick so start with YE OLE Rock chucker and understand the wallet pain will only get WORSE !!

Boolit Master
    I have been reloading since 1975.

I still use a single stage.

I reload around 4 - 5 k a year.

It just works.

For many, many folks, it is all that is really needed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast