RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why would you recommend a single stage press for handgun only loading ?

Boolit Master
    I loaded every thing I shot for probably 35 years in loading blocks with a single stage or a lee 3 hole turret without auto index , I thought the greatest thing ever was the little dandy powder measure over the loading block for handgun ammunition . Honestly loading like that could take care of all my shooting easily , but since I joined cast boolits I have pretty much converted to loading on progressive loaders for everything . What a shame in my youth it could have made me a better handgun shooter .
    Now I just need to shoot more it's a vicious cycle ....
    But I'm enjoying it

Boolit Grand Master

For someone looking to load a moderate number of target pistol ammo, I probably never would.

I honestly can not remember what the first handgun round I loaded for. It is very possible it was the 41 magnum on a lee hand die set. It is also possible it was 357 magnum on a RCBS single stage. I got both about the same time. The reason in that case, is that is what I had. I was given the lee hand die set, and I did not pay much for the RCBS single stage.

That is the way I suggest anyone start if possible. If the need is there to buy new equipment, then no, I would likely lean them to a progressive or at least a turret press. That is not always the case. In my example, looking to load 41 magnum for hunting, as 41 magnum was hard enough to find, and always expensive. Maybe a guy in an apartment who wants to practice more, but doesn't have much space would benefit greatly from a Lee hand press. That's what I did when I had less space. They work way better than the hand die sets. Any time I got someone to drive, I would be in the passenger seat sizing brass. I still use that press, and it is still very handy. Another example would be the guy looking to only load pistol ammo for accuracy, but doesn't have a need for high volume. Maybe it is a hunter, or maybe someone casually shooting bullseye competition. Either way, they are likely only shooting a couple thousand rounds a year tops, likely less. You can load top quality ammo on a progressive for sure, but when you are talking about weighing every powder charge, doing 5-6 steps to include a neck expander, crimping, etc. I think a single stage is much easier to use for short run tasks like that. A single stage is also much cheaper. I doubt there is any person who ever regrets buying a single stage, and also buying a progressive. I'd bet there are people who bought a progressive, but wish for a single stage of some sort.

Boolit Buddy
    I started reloading in 1996 with a Rockchucker kit. Started with 9mm, 357mag, 45 auto, 40S&W, 44mag. Loaded on the Rockchucker for years, no problem. I bought a RCBS Partner press for odd ball stuff, hasn't see a lot of use. Three years ago I started casting and about the same time I bought a Lee Classic Turret. Added 380 auto and 45 Colt (plus 4 rifle calibers) to my reloading. Used the Rockchucker for sizing cast bullets for a bit, found it to be overkill. Bought a Lee Challenger which is now dedicated to sizing cast bullets. I reload everything on the Classic turret except for 44 mag and 45 Colt. I know the LCT will handle it, but I prefer the hands on approach. I use the Rockchucker for 44mag and 45 Colt (and rifle). The Partner press is collecting dust for now (lack of bench space).

I believe anyone just starting to reload should start with a good strong single stage press. It will always have a use.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like a single stage press for trying variables. Much easier to change one thing when you don't have several other task that can be interdependent on a progressive loader.

Now, if the prospective new loader is only going to load one or two calibers with one load-- I would recommend a Dillon Square Deal with an extra tool head.

I have a Lyman T mag turret, but it gets used as a single stage with the other dies already set up; which makes it a great press for those experimental loadings. But after I decide one the one load, I don't see it as any better than a single stage press.

Different tools for different processes, a single stage reloading press with the capability of heavy case conversions or light bullet swaging such as an RCBS Rockchucker may be the most versatile, but for normal loading of ammo you don't need the potential everyday.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    What Fred said.

Banned

All I've ever used is single stage. Got a Lyman All American Turret last year, gonna eventually dedicate it to .45 Colt or .357, but it's as close as I'll ever get to a progressive.

Boolit Buddy
    The reason I started with a single stage press was I didn't know anything about reloading and didn't know if I would like to do it or not. I now load for 7 different pistol and 4 different rifle calibers. If there wasn't such a shortage of supplies I would add 2 more rifle calibers. Point being that the Rockchucker that I started with still sits next to my 2 Dillion 550's and gets used on a regular basis to load my rifle cartridges and work up new ladder loads for my pistols. To me learning on the single stage and then being able to apply it to the progressives was big help.

After tumbling I size/deprime in one step. Then I remove the case and clean the primer pocket and ream the case. Then Prime, all done on a SS. Next I expand the case mouth. It is generally recommended that you Do NOT powder on a Turret. (See Highboy and the T-7) So I powder and then place the powdered case on the press and seat and lite crimp.

This all means that taking the case on and off the Turret eliminates the benefit of the tool. A turret does allow you to keep 6 or so dies ready for use. That is just me.

Every one who reloads should have a single stage, period. When loading pistol it comes in handy to hang my hat on, seriously though it is another tool that has many uses and I feel needed for certain processes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gifbohane View Post
    After tumbling I size/deprime in one step. Then I remove the case and clean the primer pocket and ream the case. Then Prime, all done on a SS. Next I expand the case mouth. It is generally recommended that you Do NOT powder on a Turret. (See Highboy and the T-7) So I powder and then place the powdered case on the press and seat and lite crimp.

This all means that taking the case on and off the Turret eliminates the benefit of the tool. A turret does allow you to keep 6 or so dies ready for use. That is just me.
    I put a clean unprimed case in my turret and the next time it comes out of the shell holder it is a finished loaded round that is one of the ways my turret was designed to operate . That is no different than a powder measure on a progressive.
    Someone new folks may be safer charging off the press until they get all the operations down .
    But run your process in a way you are comfortable with. The turret I use is the Lee I don't know what is recommended for the T7 I have not used one.

Everyone should have at least 1 ss press, usually 2 or 3 are much better.
    Dillon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    So often a single stage press is recommended to every new reloader.

The typical reason is to learn the process. You can thread a die one time and learn the process on a turret or progressive. Watching one case on a turret or progressive is not significantly more difficult than batch loading one at a time. So do not reply with learn the process.

Please note, the subject line says handgun. Rifle is a different animal with advantages to hand crafting rounds for precision long distance. So please don't go off subject.

Always finding a use for a Single Stage is often mentioned. Maybe for rifle. But the Turrets and Dillon 550 work as a single stage. So, please don't bring this up.

The volume of a turret or progressive is significant over a single stage. Many choose a single stage kit to get started. Some manufacturers sell Turret Kits. So they end up as a second press collecting dust once they realize their single stage cannot keep up with their shooting.

I cannot see a single stage for handgun loading. An inexpensive Lee Turret for Handgun seems much more productive and enjoyable.

Let's watch how many people did not read this being about handgun only, learning the process not valid and always finding a use for a Single Stage as not a reason.

Lots of answers so I'll just give my reasons for having a single stage press in addition to my Dillons.

I do not agree with your premise that a Dillon 550 works well as a single stage press. It does not, particularly when raising the handle. There is a vast difference between the inline pull on a single stage shell holder and the off center load on the shell plate in a 550. I would not load big magnum cartridges like the .480 Ruger and .500 S&W on the Dillon because of the sizing loads when the case comes out of the die. The .500 takes more effort to size than any other cartridge I've loaded, handgun or rifle. I've only loaded .500 for one gun so the experience of others may vary.

I started with a single stage so I still have it; up to 3 SS presses now.

Processing surplus military brass is IMO easier on a SS. OTOH, .45 ACP brass is plentiful enough that there's no compelling need to swage crimped primer pockets on it.

Bullet pulling with a collet style puller requires a SS press. Yes, I have used a collet puller with jacketed handgun bullets.

Sometimes something with a cartridge or a loaded round needs to be fixed and that's far easier in a SS.

Due to the amount of time it takes to set up for a new cartridge, bullet (J or cast) or load, it's faster to load a small batch (defined by me for myself as 60 or fewer) on a SS.

My minimum batch size on a progressive is 100 rounds due to setup if i don't already have a toolhead and powder measure set up for a particular load.

Load development is a ROYAL PITA on a progressive, especially the powder charge. All of my load development is done with a SS press.

All of my .44 Mag and most of my .45 Colt gets loaded on a SS anyway. I don't shoot enough .44 Mag to even have a cartridge conversion for either of my Dillons. Most of my .45 Colt is Ruger/Contender only loads so they're in the same category as the .44 Mag. Only my standard .45 Colt loads are loaded on a progressive. All of this is based on volume; not the power of the loads.
    Last edited by David2011; 02-03-2021 at 01:21 AM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    YA Buddy P Flados if I was to have only one press single stage would be it ! and it really is my go to press to work up loads a progressive is just to slow change up and work up loads and working up loads big part reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Some of us simply are not in such a big hurry. I started out with a single stage. Still have it. NO plans to upgrade.
    Same here, just don't shoot that much anymore, sucks getting older but I'll take any day. I'm going to play with .177's during this shortage and the press is under tarp. And yes, my press is a single stage.

Never shot competition anything, not a high volume shooter, just enjoy shooting.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Some people buy the progressive because they don't want to learn to reload they just want to pull the handle and make lots of ammo one person I know did no even want to buy a manual he just some one to set up his Dillon for 44 magnum . I like helping others but setting up his machine is not helping .

Boolit Buddy
    They're portable and flexible, they only thing they give up is speed. They don't take as much space. They are cheaper. As a new reloaded it had me do 1 task at a time. This helped me to focus on the 1 task at hand and increases safety. It gave me the opportunity to set up my dies over and over as I switched tasks. If intentions and needs change it continues to be useful. I depcap all my pistol brass on it even though it gets loaded on a 550. It can be mounted upside down as a push through sizing boolit press.

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol only per the OP’s strict parameters.

Versatility.

I can swage pistol bullets on my Lee classic cast.

I can bulge bust 40 s&w.

I can swage primer pockets.

I can do everything. It’s just slower.

JM

Boolit Master

Started reloading in 86 with an RCBS Master Kit. Shortly thereafter, moved up to a Dillon 550 when they came out. I still use the RC, whether for depriming, case forming, re-sizing rifle brass, small batches, load development, swaging primer pockets ect.

The progressive is only used for large batch production of an established tried and true pistol load, minus; 500, 475, 45 Colt and 44 Mag and bolt action LR 400m+) ammo. If doing a production run of rifle blasting ammo, I FL resize on a RC and hand prime and then run through the 550 for smoother operation.

Now, I also have Redding Turret which I thought would get more use but just sits with my bolt action rifle flavor of the month dies set up.

My opinion is there is always a need for a Single Stage Press and it is a controlled learning process.

Boolit Master

I like to do it that way.
    Started on a Lyman Comet in 1959.
    Use a RC most often these days, Take a Lyman Spar-t out to clamp onto a picnic table sometimes.

7,000-10,000 a year.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The flexibility and economy of a SS Press is undeniable.

I began at age 19 in 1975 with a RCBS Jr. It was my only press for 35 years. I loaded HG (mostly rifle though) on it but was not a volume shooter.

After the Lee Classic Cast Turret came out, I got on sale. It’s a great press but as I say not a volume shooter in any one caliber.

The Sandy Hook incident occurred and I bought a Hornady LNL as insurance to things going sideways. It mostly sits.

The Lee CT ...... mostly sits.

Do I have other presses, yes. I still have that original JR and a second one migrated in here. I even have the three ram Pacific and a Lyman ST (turret).

What I do use?

A Redding Boss. I wanted compound leverage for easier sizing motion.

But what about that beginner Pistol only shooter?

Well who among us when beginning knows where they will end up reloading? The best choice in a “vacuum” is a single stage because it does it all and will never get tossed even if it’s sitting alongside a Dillon 1050 someday.

We who have been there are not playing a broken record of the same song.

If somebody wants to throw the money out there right off the bat and go higher level then by all means just go for it.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast