WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Star reloader for sale here

Boolit Grand Master

Star reloader for sale here

I saw a Star reloader for sale here this morning.
    45acp, with case feeder.
    looked to be in good condition.
    He asking $500 for it.
    I didn't think they were that expensive.
    I'm not interested.
    I have one already.

Where is "here"...?

Boolit Master

That's a good price if it is a Universal. And ok if it is not.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master
    If a Star press is set up for 45, it has to be a Universal... the plain progressive won't work on that caliber.

Keep in mind that the press is decades old... is it complete and working? Parts and service are now available from a small NJ company, but this is a precision tool that needs everything fitted and matched up just right. There is also the question of accessories such as case feeders, auto indexers, etc, etc. If it is complete and has the case feeder, $500 is a deal. OTOH, if it has broken or missing parts, maybe not so much.

Also be aware that there is a whole website for Star owners and users where this kind of information is readily available. I am a casual member and have both a Star Progressive press (38 Spl only) and a Star sizer and luber, also for 38s. They are classic high end machines.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

The "Small" NJ company is the new "Star Machine Works" and it's not small by any means. He has everything that someone may need to replace parts or refurbish machines. When I visited his shop he had several complete machines he had assembled from parts he acquired from the previous owner of Star. He also has indexers, case feeders and pretty much any accessory item that someone may want to put on their Star. I had a .45ACP tool head rebuilt by him and his work is flawless.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
    The "Small" NJ company is the new "Star Machine Works" and it's not small by any means. He has everything that someone may need to replace parts or refurbish machines. When I visited his shop he had several complete machines he had assembled from parts he acquired from the previous owner of Star. He also has indexers, case feeders and pretty much any accessory item that someone may want to put on their Star. I had a .45ACP tool head rebuilt by him and his work is flawless.
    The word “small” was not meant to be disparaging in any way... I have dealt with Bruce myself and as you say, he is keeping the Star tradition alive with full capability to repair and rebuild the classic presses. It is small when compared to a Lyman or a RCBS, but that just means the service is personal. I wish Bruce all the best with his endeavor and will continue to depend on him to support my Star Progressive.

Green Frog

Boolit Master
    I have a Progressive in 45Acp . works Fine, Loads fine. with No alteration
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I have a Progressive in 45Acp . works Fine, Loads fine. with No alteration
    Sal, are you sure it’s not a universal Progressive? Does it drop the finished round down through the base or kick it out from the last station? Bruce (the current manufacturer) told me my Progressive couldn’t be used to load 45s.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not selling it, or even thinking of buying it.
    Just like to know what they are worth.
    prices on evilbay just cannot be believed.
    Attachment 277028

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I'm not selling it, or even thinking of buying it.
    Just like to know what they are worth.
    prices on evilbay just cannot be believed.
    Attachment 277028
    Based on what I’m seeing on the Star Owners’ Forum and what I’ve seen here in VA at gunshows, etc, I’d say $500 for a complete, working Star in 45 ACP is not out of line. If it’s missing parts or broken, all bets are off... shipping it to NJ from HI for repair would be pricey. Just MHO, so of course YMMV!

Froggie

PS The fact that it has the case feeder with collator funnel is a plus. It looks complete from the one picture, so if I could watch it work (and it was local so no big shipping costs) I’d look favorably at paying $500 for it.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 02-06-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Add PS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Sal, are you sure it’s not a universal Progressive? Does it drop the finished round down through the base or kick it out from the last station? Bruce (the current manufacturer) told me my Progressive couldn’t be used to load 45s.

Froggie
    My 45 Acp Star is a progressive. all mine are progressives. The finished Cartridge fall through the bottom as the others. This one Is a basic machine No Feeders, indexers. Purchased it Years ago. I had no idea they did not fall through. maybe this was altered years ago. If Bruce said it's not suppose to . i cannot Give you an answer
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Two sold a few years back at my local fun store / pawn shop for $350 each . Both were complete and were set up for .45 acp and .38 spl . Should have bought them as soon as I saw them but waited a couple of days and they were gone when I went back . I didn't need them and still don't but they are very cool machines and I would have enjoyed owning both , I learned not to hesitate .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    My 45 Acp Star is a progressive. all mine are progressives. The finished Cartridge fall through the bottom as the others. This one Is a basic machine No Feeders, indexers. Purchased it Years ago. I had no idea they did not fall through. maybe this was altered years ago. If Bruce said it's not suppose to . i cannot Give you an answer
    Thanks for the response, Sal. What I was told was that the Progressive was designed for the 38 size case head and that in order to make it work with the 45, expensive alterations had to be done to the base so it would accept the shell plate for 45s. I guess at one time it was considered economical to make the Progressive with the necessary alterations for this to be done. I have to admit to being a beginner at the history and development of Star. Thanks again for the response!

Regards.
    Froggie