Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Powder storage container.

Boolit Master

Re: Powder storage container.

Hey members!
    I've been buying powder these past few weeks at the gun club I belong to. Today I bought a 4 lb. container of W296 for 100.00. Not bad considering what powders are going for on Gunbroker. After getting home, I can see that my small ice chest that I keep my powder in, is beginning to overflow. I've always liked to keep my powder indoors, even when I had my reloadding equipment in the garage.
    Fast forward to the present. I now have my own room for my man cave, courtesy of my wife, for all my reloading equipment. With all that being said, I would like to get some of the powder out of the house and into the garage. I live Oregon, in the Willamette Valley. It's always wet and damp, about 8 months of the year, and its destructive. What do all y'all use to store your powder in, in a damp environment? Will a simple air tight storage container with some desiccant packets suffice? Would appreciate all suggestions.
    Regards
    Last edited by littlejack; 02-01-2021 at 10:47 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Get a used (cheap) refrigerator. I have one in the garage that I store primers in the freezer and powder in the fridge. I also set it on a timer so it runs twice a day for 1/2 hour. Seems to work fine.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard of guys using a dead deep freeze bc the Temps inside won't rise and fall as ambient temp
    Why do you run yours, just to keep the temo more stable?

Boolit Master
    It’s strange, but I always find that desiccant packs get saturated really quickly in plastic coolers, no idea why as I’d expect them to be fairly air tight.

I wouldn’t worry about humidity if your powder is in the factory plastic bottles, they seem to be very moisture proof.

Boolit Master

I use a old dead fridge / freezer , not working doors close tight and temp stays stable , it is inside a concrete fall out shelter room in basement , room itself is pretty stable temp other room where I do loading has powders that are being used , all seem fine in the original containers .

A dark, air tight container, in a temperature stable place is what I've always heard for powder storage.

If you don't have the modern generation plastic bottles we see now, but still have old school paper or metal ones-
    I'd keep them in a 20mm ammo can or one of the new plastic storage boxes with the rubber gasket in the lid.
    Then, put some descant in there with them.

To seal stuff in those containers or ammo cans for longer term-
    Here, we leave them open for awhile on a hot, dry day in the sun for a couple of hours.
    Then close them up. I've had some even draw down, and hold a bit of a vacuum for a couple years.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

You should look up what your local and state laws are on powder storage. A lot of places require wooden enclosures and not steel, etc. Believe the premise is wood burns while a tight enclosure will act as a bomb. Homeowners insurance can deny a claim if they find out you violated ordinances in storing your powder. I would also caution against stating how much you have as we all know we are being monitored here.

Banned
    Why would you want to risk storing your powder in an uncontrolled environment when you have a perfectly safe environment in your house ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shampine View Post
    Why would you want to risk storing your powder in an uncontrolled environment when you have a perfectly safe environment in your house ?
    The property/fire insurance on your home, required by your mortgage holder, requires compliance with certain government regulations for the protection of the mortgage holder. As the borrow you’ve agreed to abide by those regulations, one of which limits the amount of powder you can store in the structure and how it is stored.

I am not in a position to known if claims have been denied, and it’s a little silly given that there is more energy in a couple 5 gal gas cans than in any reasonable quantity of smokeless, but that’s the rules and some prefer to comply with them rather than to take a risk they see as unnecessary. Others comply because it’s what they’ve agreed to. Many ignore the issue because it’s an ineffective rule based on ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Just make sure it not in a heavy container that can make pressure. Without containment it is going to burn very very hot and fast.

Boolit Master
    mr wolf is 100% correct according to what I have read in the past. powder cabinet can be made out of 1" thick wood. I think your allowed something like 50 lbs in residential home. if memory is correct.
    anyway a quick search came up with SAAMI guidelines for smokeless powder storage

https://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-c...guidelines.pdf

Moderator Emeritus

I kept 8 lbs of 4831 in 2 liter pop bottles from 1993-99. They were from a 33 lb keg a friend bought. Keep them out of the light and not subject to heat swings and you will be fine. I would also suggest to keep them in a non pressured container. The worst would be a military surplus ammo can or an old pressure cooker.

FYI, a garage is the area in the home that is most filled with combustibles, car gasoline, plastics and foams, greases, mower gas and you want to add your powder?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR STORAGE OF SMOKELESS POWDER
    Store in a cool, dry place. Be sure the storage area selected is free
    from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open
    flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to the sun’s rays. Avoid storage in areas
    where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict
    from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from
    improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits.
    Do not store smokeless powder in the same area with solvents,
    flammable gasses or highly combustible materials.
    Store only in Department of Transportation approved containers.
    Do not transfer the smokeless powder from an approved container
    into one which is not approved.
    From the Western Powders blog listed above.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

An old wooden army footlocker works .

Boolit Master
    I keep mine stored in wooden tall cabinet lined with 1” Kawool boiler insulation, because it was left over from boiler jobs from last 43 years, pieces from rolls of the stuff. Also Goldenrod type low wattage heater, keeps temp between 60-80’ keeps powder dry. If you got wet powder like lumps, you can put in freezer, frost free for a few days, and it will dehydrate, just be sure to tell wife about such projects.

Banned
    smokeless powders like/thrive in the same temperatures you like. 68° dry/ dark (That's why they mostly come in black bottles.) and they are happy for a long time.

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your great suggestions. As was mentioned, I will check on the local regulations. I don't like the fact that there are temperature swings from 45° to 95° in the garage. Very very little flamables in the garage. No gasoline at all.
    Mentioning the refrigerators, brings back memories. I worked in the steel fabrication trade for 40 years. Just about all of the shops had refrigerators for their rod lockers. They were heated with a heat lamp bulb to keep things dry. But, they also worked to heat our tv dinners for lunch. And yes, some of those tv dinners would boil over into the welding rod. So, we could be welding away, grab another rod, and immediately would smell like burnt frijoles or enchilada sauce. Made me hungry. Lol
    Anyway, don't have room for another refrigerator or wooden cabinet, so I will probably lean towards an air tight plastic storage container. I do know that smokeless powder doesn't explode except when put pressure. It was stated that my house is a perfectly safe environment, and I agree. If my house "WAS" to catch on fire, I don't really want to add more fuel (powder) to the flame-so to speak.
    Thank you all again.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

More habit this time of year than anything, but living in S. Az. in the summer gets rather warm.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    The property/fire insurance on your home, required by your mortgage holder, requires compliance with certain government regulations for the protection of the mortgage holder. As the borrow you’ve agreed to abide by those regulations, one of which limits the amount of powder you can store in the structure and how it is stored.

I am not in a position to known if claims have been denied, and it’s a little silly given that there is more energy in a couple 5 gal gas cans than in any reasonable quantity of smokeless, but that’s the rules and some prefer to comply with them rather than to take a risk they see as unnecessary. Others comply because it’s what they’ve agreed to. Many ignore the issue because it’s an ineffective rule based on ignorance.
    I see, more rules for those that care .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shampine View Post
    I see, more rules for those that care .
    No need to disparage those who still believe that their word means something. They struck a deal, they accepted money from the bank in exchange for certain promises, and they intend to live up to those promises. Too many people just want what they want and don’t honor their committments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast