Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #11 Magnum Percussion Caps

Boolit Mold
    I've always liked the Dynamite Noble #11 caps.I have a T/C sidelock.Those caps were definately louder than Remingtons and CCI's standard caps and were very consistant.They come in a plastic red round tin.They're not easy to find and they cost a little more.Fin Fur & Feather was the last place I seen some. Always snap a cap before loading the 1st round.

for me, the #11 MAGNUMS just fit better on my cabela's .50 cal hawken with stock nipple.

using cci #11 caps (stamped cci 10) usually takes a 2nd hammer strike to pop (now the game is spooked & runs off). using cci #11 MAGNUM caps (stamped cci 11m) always pops on 1st hammer strike.

question: why are #11 caps stamped cci 10? (all caps in the tin are mis-marked?)

to get the #11 (stamped cci 10) caps to work, i had to dremel down a nipple.

FYI: i can only find cci caps. the local shop carries them, no other brands. i traveled 132mi - that shop only had cci caps too. i can't seem to find other brands within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Any benefit to the "Magnum" caps?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    FWIW, when I was heavily into BP rifle shooting, I found that the Hotshot nipples solved all of my ignition problems. Pyrodex was notoriously hard to ignite consistently with any other nipple.
    I used both Remington and RWS caps with no problem.

Jack
    +1 on that Jack. I've had far better luck with RWS and Remington, plus the added hot shot nipple. Mine is a home made hot shot though. In theory, I believe the added hole is to allow the fire to go farther without resistance. Whatever the case I found it works for me. I have had way too many misfires with CCI caps. I use them only to clear the nippe before loading anymore.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ginoe View Post
    ....question: why are #11 caps stamped cci 10? (all caps in the tin are mis-marked?).....
    THe caps marked '10' are probably #10 pistol caps, in the wrong can.
    #10 caps are quite a bit smaller than #11s and are a tight fit even on the smaller pistol nipples.

Jack

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You need a different nipple for each brand of cap. Fit each nipple to each brand.

We have instituted two hammer falls with a percussion gun equals a miss at our shoots. Three for flinters.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Edd,
    The hotshot nipple was originally made by Uncle Mikes. They have apparently discontinued it.
    Thompson-Center now offers it, and I would assume that it is the same product.
    The bore through the nipple is slightly different than a standard nipple. This coupled with the two cross-holes somehow concentrates the primer flash.
    Your solution is probably pretty close to the original.
    When I did a lot of muzzle loading competition, I could feel the slight difference in lag time between a standard nipple an the hot shot. It was particulary noticeable with Pyrodex, which is harder to ignite than real black powder.
    BTW, the only gun that I ever owned that shot better with Pyrodex than real black was a TC Seneca in .36 caliber. I used a heavy load with a swaged ball and the ball would upset to completely fill the grooves upon firing. It was a real tack driver and won me many local matches at 25 and 50 yards.

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Had lousy ignition with standard #11caps with a .54 and triple 7.Burned that up and now use real BP FFG and any #11 primer works.Found 777 dirtier to clean than the realstuff.Hangfires are no fun in a .54 Never looked back....................Harold

I think inlines are sales hokey!
    bool !!
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Man
    I have the same trouble with my TC Hawken 50. Where can you find real BP? All I can ever find is Pyrodex these days. Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I order my BP from Doc Carlson, at Upper Missouri Trading Co., Crofton, Nebraska. There is also Maine Powder House, and there is another in the southwest, I don't recall the name of. Cooneys?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

https://www.grafs.com/powders/3522 about the best prices for smaller orders so far as I know.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12