MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Lubrisizer tricks for Lyman 450?

Boolit Buddy

Lubrisizer tricks for Lyman 450?

Ok I've used mine for decades with flat base boolits. Currently using TAC1 getting real frustrated with bevel base 45 and 9mm as every third one a disc of lube squirts under the base and I have to scrape it out! Any tips as to avoid this irritation? Yes, I up stroke quickly.

Boolit Buddy
    Grab a empty cartridge from the same caliber you are sizing. Use a deburring tool to sharpen it. Cut discs from the styrofoam trays that tray pack meat comes in. Put those between your bullet and the sizing die. They last for several bullets before needing replaced. I swiftly gave away the first bb mold I had. Haven’t bought another. If I had a Star sizer or pc’d I would have a different outlook.

Boolit Master
    try using a couple coats of tumble lube instead of the lubesizer. if you must size; tumble lube let dry and size then re-tumble lube. i said this because i don't know how "dry" bullets will go thru the sizer.

Boolit Master
    I had 500 bevel base 430's and used a 41 caliber gas check and it worked. I had the gas checks.

45 dude, thanks for that idea. Once it's formed you could use a dab of superglue to hold it, but still be able to pop it off later. I use super glue for temporary metal holding a lot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    Grab a empty cartridge from the same caliber you are sizing. Use a deburring tool to sharpen it. Cut discs from the styrofoam trays that tray pack meat comes in. Put those between your bullet and the sizing die. They last for several bullets before needing replaced. I swiftly gave away the first bb mold I had. Haven’t bought another. If I had a Star sizer or pc’d I would have a different outlook.
    I wonder if an appropriate size "O" ring super glued to the piston would work?

Boolit Master

You could try adjusting your sizing die "plunger" up a bit higher then you do with FB's.
    Or plug the bottom holes on the sizing die with lead shot. If you have the right size.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

My RCBS does that if a lube hole in the die is at, or under the boolit base.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The foam works great. I use it for all bullet sizing. The bases stay cleaner.

Boolit Buddy
    The foam works fantastic

Boolit Master
    Collecting wads of lube under the bullet base is usually due to cranking in wildly more pressure than is needed on the lube injection wrench. There is little or no justification to jamming every lube groove 100% full of lube so ease up a bit and see what happens.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    You could try adjusting your sizing die "plunger" up a bit higher then you do with FB's.
    This adjust the depth of tbe bullet in relation to how far down the sizing die it goes.

I've had my 450 for 28 years and done lots of boat tail & bevel based bullets.

No problems after adjustment.

Uberneith the sizer die there will be a plunger with a knurled knob adjust accourdingly.

Boolit Master

I too would adjust to where the lube die did not line up below the boolit, and I learned to crank the lube just enough to fill the groove by feel. That way the lube was not under pressure for the next boolit in line. Sure, it added another step for bevel based boolits but I found myself doing it for all boolits out of habit.

I PC everything now, bought Lee push through dies and haven't looked back. Lyman was cleaned up, light coat of oil to protect the metal, went back in the factory box. I've been powder coating for 9 years or so now.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Don't use bevel base bullet molds.

Boolit Master

Have a machinist remove the bevel......or have a machinist turn a flat washer and D&T the sizer punch with a 4-40 hole and use a CS screw to hold it on.

The easiest is to have the bevel removed. I've done that to all mine and haven't missed them at all. Of course, I have a shooting partner that's a machinist and he loves to tinker. Dial the cavity in on the mill and adjust until your bevel is gone. A little oversize on the base doesn't hurt as it's gone when you size so it's not a really precise operation./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cupajoe View Post
    Don't use bevel base bullet molds.
    Why?

The machine just needs properly adjusted.

Easier & cheaper to adjust the machine then buy a new mold more so right now with the clown prices of anything gun related.

Boolit Master
    I had this problem with 9mm. I took out the sizing die and cleaned it especially the lube ports around the die. I got an o-ring that when cut, I could stick it into a lube port. Use the snuggest o-ring you can get to fit. Cut 3 or 4 pieces to put in the bottom row of lube ports. Just make them the thickness of the die wall since the punch has to travel in the die. Once and you are done. Discs not required.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.