Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Tek Solution - How Long is It Good?

Boolit Master

Hi-Tek Solution - How Long is It Good?

After mixing powdered Hi-Tek in acetone, how long is the solution useful? Assume a well sealed bottle and storage in cool to cold (winter) garage temps. I would assume several weeks?
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I used hi-tek for a long time. I think shelf life will vary depending on where you are and your climate. Several weeks anyway. If you don't coat a lot of bullets at one time you could cut it in half. 50 mils to 10 grams.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I mixed some this summer, when I first started using Hi-Tek, and I used it again a couple weeks ago. It settles out, so you just need to shake it to mix it back up. As long as your bottle is fairly well-sealed, so the acetone doesn't evaporate away, it should be fine. If you notice the level dropping, add some acetone.

I cut the recipe in half, because I'm not casting enough to use it all. At ~1ml/lb the standard recipe will do over 50 lbs of double-coated cast. I'm usually doing more like 20lbs at a time, which is still 2 uses from a single batch, with some left over.

I fumbled around a bit at first, trying to find the right kitchenware do do this, but I finally just went and bought a tie-dye kit from Walmart. I tossed everything but the squirt bottles. They're about 80ml bottles with a snap on cap that holds a good seal. I mix up a half batch with a few ml more acetone than the recipe calls for to thin it, put it in the bottle, and just put it on the shelf in the garage. In the months I've been using it, it doesn't seem to have a shelf life.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I've kept it on my shelf for 2-3 months and it was fine. Ive also noticed that if acetone evaporates off, you can just refresh it with a splash of acetone. Works just fine for me.

Boolit Buddy

I started a couple years ago with an empty 20oz coke bottle lol. Worked just fine until I could get around to buying a proper container.

Boolit Master
    When I was hi-teking I got bottles from Sally's beauty supply. They are made to hold chemicals and have a snap cap that seals good. I always put teflon tape around the threads on the lid.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Great! Thank you for the posts. I habe noticed mo appreciable drop in fluid level, so I'm going to give it a go.
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

I keep mine in the fridge since it settle and turn solid in my experience.

I've used 2 year old solution with no problems.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Since I was in there rearranging this evening, here's a pic of the bottles I use.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If kept in the cool or fridge, it will last ages. Where i live, we never get real cool weather, i had some K15 that was a few months old, the polymer started to turn into a clump that would not dissolve in acetone. Joe said that is normal, and to try and only mix what you need or store what is unused in the fridge, not sure the wife would agree....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    If kept in the cool or fridge, it will last ages. Where i live, we never get real cool weather, i had some K15 that was a few months old, the polymer started to turn into a clump that would not dissolve in acetone. Joe said that is normal, and to try and only mix what you need or store what is unused in the fridge, not sure the wife would agree....
    "Honey, smell this. I think the stuff in the mustard bottle has turned!"
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Be careful storing any thing with vapors in with food items, especially bread products. Bread will soak up anything that’s loose in the fridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    "Honey, smell this. I think the stuff in the mustard bottle has turned!"
    The following day, i'll get divorce papers served to me

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Great! Thank you for the posts. I habe noticed mo appreciable drop in fluid level, so I'm going to give it a go.
    If you use a see through container as I now do, put a mark at the fluid level and top with acetone if it gets low. I have used coating that was around a year old and all worked well but I did add a little acetone. regards Stephen

Boolit Master

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the bottles I use. The acetone doesn't leak out of those if the lid is tight.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I use dish soap bottles with a snap on lid and spout, these keep the mix good for 6 months or more.

Boolit Master
    I've been Hi Teking for a few years now. I keep my mixed bottles in room temp, it won't go "bad" in a year unless I let acetone evaporate. Some 2 year old forgotten ones went "lumpy" but they really were dry. And they will dissolve again if you have the time.

Boolit Master
    I've had mixed HiTek clump up on me. It takes many weeks, and seems worse if the bottles are exposed to sunlight or the weather is warmer (Northern California), but happened even with half strength solutions, tightly capped and stored in my cool basement. A bullet in the bottle helped break up the big clump, but left lots of small ones that didn't dissolve.

Now I mix smaller batches that are enough for all the coating planned, dump what's left and rinse the bottles with clean acetone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I've had mixed HiTek clump up on me. It takes many weeks, and seems worse if the bottles are exposed to sunlight or the weather is warmer (Northern California), but happened even with half strength solutions, tightly capped and stored in my cool basement. A bullet in the bottle helped break up the big clump, but left lots of small ones that didn't dissolve.

Now I mix smaller batches that are enough for all the coating planned, dump what's left and rinse the bottles with clean acetone.
    This happened to me too, i keep mine out of sunlight, but we do get hotter weather over here. I got a big clump of goo that refused to dissolve, even tried MEK but nope, didn't work. I also mix smaller batches to reduce the amount of wastage.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    This happened to me too, i keep mine out of sunlight, but we do get hotter weather over here. I got a big clump of goo that refused to dissolve, even tried MEK but nope, didn't work. I also mix smaller batches to reduce the amount of wastage.
    This problem is what lead me to keeping the mixed solution in the refrigerator.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast