Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have your thoughts on accuracy changed over the years?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am not and never was a good three position rifle shooter. Particularly standing. My steadiness has always been poor.
    The same applies to my handgun shooting. I simply cannot hold steady. I am improving but seem to have reached my limits or nearly so. I will never be a good enough shot to be competitive.
    That said, I usually finish a handgun session by shooting at a silhouette target at 8 yards which is the distance from my bedroom door to the front door of my house. It puts things in proper perspective for my biggest need for accuracy. Yesterday, I put 30 rounds into the X ring with no misses with my model 19 revolver.
    I was having a good day.
    I shot 4 position for a number of years. Some of my offhand scores were better than others, but mostly nothing to brag about. All in all it was a very humbling experience.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    I shot 4 position for a number of years. Some of my offhand scores were better than others, but mostly nothing to brag about. All in all it was a very humbling experience.
    Yes. I have seen people who are good rifle shots and I kn ow that I am not one of them. Give me a bench or a tree to lean on and I am much better. Almost adequate in fact.

Banned
    I want the utmost accuracy I can get , and I am also very hard on myself . For that reason I use 22 rimfire for fun only , not being in control of ammo quality drives me nuts .

Boolit Grand Master

My accuracy expectations have changed over the years nit just rim fire but center fire as well. Not just because I have gotten better but more so do to the improved technologies and manufacturing. Fire arms are built to tighter tolerances ammo is loaded to closer standards, and we understand more than in the past. An average barrel today is almost equal to a top notch barrel of the 70s. Same with sights and scopes

I did extensive accuracy testing on American made 22 ammo in the 80s. Long Rifles only. Used 6 rifles. Rem 513, Rem 552, Ruger 10/22 Sporter, Win 61, Marlin 60 and m39. The point was to prove that top shelf ammo was a waste in most off the rack rifles. All these rifles were excellent shooters.
    They all had ammo they preferred but they all shot around 1” or better at 40yds with the premium ammo. The bulk opened a little as well as the hyper velocity type. That was 1980s, today some of the groups from same rifles are terrible. Rate of duds, misfires is at 2%. CCI most dependable and is way below this rate.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to say that my recollection is quite different than that of others here when it comes to the rate of duds/misfires. I recall having plenty of them back in the 70's, at a much higher rate than what I was seeing in the 2000's and 2010's. Only in the last year have I seen an upsurge.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Not with the .22 rimfire. I want clover leafs at 50 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12