RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1888 Gewehr Commission Rifle HELP!!!!!!

Samari46: Yes I did get the powder numbers jumbled. I'm old... lol. I settled on the AAC 5744 as suggested by El Gato. Just want to make certain of my pressures with that powder with the intent to use 170-220 grain cast boolits in .323 diameter. Thoughts? I ask a lot of questions in areas I am not that familiar with. That's how I learn. Been reloading for just over 40 years now but never messed with cast boolits until I got my Martini-Henry and it is still a work in progress on the loads. I enjoy loading the blackpowder and cast combination. This is new territory so I'm SOAKING UP INFO LIKE A SPONGE! Thanks for the help Sir!

Terry

I have no clue with the CUP pressure. I just extrapolated loads by using 30-40 Krag Data. Mine does well with either but the Lee Maximum Mold (my heavy bullet 8x57 mold) does better at 200 yards. Back in October, I shot this load at 50 yards using the rear flip up sight leaf. I used mixed brass, converted from 30-06, 21 grains of Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle and the Lee Maximum mold.

Here is the Lee Maximum Mold: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...roduction-mold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200930_180241548_HDR_2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	276992
    Last edited by El Gato; 02-05-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added photo

El Gato: Very nice! I will try to get some load data on the AAC 5744. The pressure thing does give me pause.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
    I have no clue with the CUP pressure. I just extrapolated loads by using 30-40 Krag Data. Mine does well with either but the Lee Maximum Mold (my heavy bullet 8x57 mold) does better at 200 yards. Back in October, I shot this load at 50 yards using the rear flip up sight leaf. I used mixed brass, converted from 30-06, 21 grains of Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle and the Lee Maximum mold.

Here is the Lee Maximum Mold: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...roduction-mold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200930_180241548_HDR_2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	276992
    I have that same mold and can tell from the picture your rifle is WAY LARGER in the throat than mine!

Here is the lee 175 gr 8mm bullet inserted in the muzzle of AG Oberndorf on LEFT, and 88comm on the Right

Here is the 8mm maximum seting in the muzzle of 88, think there would be enoug bearing
    Last edited by swheeler; 02-05-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Cool!

ALL:
    I have AAC 5774 powder and ordered the following cast boolits for my 1888/05 pictured in my beginning post.
    .325" 250 gr. NOE #326378 RNGC
    .323" 170 grain RNFPBB
    .324" 190 grain GC SAECO RN

Also:
    .322" 190 grain JACKETED HPBT

I am looking for load data for the AAC 5774 powder with the above boolits but am having a difficult time locating charts that list this combination. I could use some help please...

Many thanks!
    Terry

Boolit Man
    My experiments don't fit your list very well..but 23 gr of 5744, Fed Primer, 175(?) Lee gas check(.324 dia.) gave me 1600fps (28.5" bbl 1904 Steyr Mannlicher just .320" groove dia). Wheel weights with some tin around 12 bhn. Lee Liquid. Accuracy around 3.6 inches at 100 yds. Ed Harris' 13 gr Red Dot at 1700 fps and 2.2" 5 shot group is what I settled on. I didn't make a lot of effort with 5744 because of the unburned powder kernels in the bore. Yes, I know it's not a problem, I just don't like it.
    Major error in above post...found a page had fallen from my reloading logbook. Updated test with 5744 and Lee gas checked bullet. 27 grains of 5744, avg 2130 fps and 2.1" 5 shot group at 100 yards.
    Last edited by flintlocke; 02-07-2021 at 05:02 PM.

I found that Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle had similar properties to AA 5744 without the bore residue/ unburnt kernels. I have switched completely over to SW Buffalo Rifle because of this (and it is less expensive.)

El Gato/flintlocke: I already have 2lbs of 5744 so will try that first. Just waiting on boolits and brass to arrive. I'll see if I can locate shooter World Buffalo Rifle powder also. As stated I've a variety of boolits to experiment with using the 5744. I'll start with the load data you provided El Gato. I'm anxious to send some lead downrange with this old Frau. Meantime I'm still cleaning the bore. I use Hoppes Benchrest copper solvent. The barrel had many decades of built up fouling in the grooves and quite a bit of copper fouling but after 3 weeks of scrubbing every few days it is looking so much better. This is my first non-Enfield rifle I have loaded for in over 25 years so I'm excited to get cracking!
    Thank you both for your advice and information.

Terry

I wish you the best Terry!

I think you will enjoy the '88.

Boolit Man
    Terry, I've had several rifles with the old cupro-nickel jacket fouling in them...I was always deathly afraid of that toxic crap in Hatcher's Notebook. But I found that Bore Tech Eliminator will lift the nickel without etching the barrel steel. Ammonia based solvents just won't work, as far as I can tell.

El Gato: Much appreciated. I plan to keep you all updated on my journey with the old Frau! It's the only rifle in my entire collection that is NOT and Enfield! They may get jealous... When I have more time I'll have to share with you why it is that this rifle is so special to me. I'm dressing her up also. Just got an original 1st pattern sling complete with quick detach rear swivel and parade loop. Also picked up an original muzzle cover that is regimental marked and in fine condition. Found a cache of original early pattern brass charger clips (not en-bloc). I'm not holding my breath on an original bayonet though. They were rare as chicken lips back in the 80's and now have reached the "unobtanium" status. The Ersatz bayonets can be found but they will fetch 300.00. I had a Turk model back in the day that I paid 15.00 for. Lol.... Oh those were the days...

Will be updating soon.
    By the way: Below are photos of my cat. The Belle Kittimus Maximus Robustus! She shares my milk and cookies... lol
    Damn it! My pics keep downloading sideways! Ughhh. Sorry...
    Cheers!
    Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belle 1 resized.jpg   Belle 2 resized.jpg   Belle 3 resized.jpg  

Wow!

Nice Cat! The one in my avatar is named Bella!

Here is my other tuxedo cat Billie hamming it up with some 8x57 cartridge's. Don't worry about the muzzle picture...I used a tripod and time delay. I have an Ersatz Bayonet for mine. It is is neat artifact in itself. It fits the Gew 1871/84 (Tightly), Gew 1888, Gew 1898 and M1 Rifle with no modifications!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180702_223625.jpg   20180617_074054.jpg   FB_IMG_1512697862525.jpg  

El Gato: Now that's a classy Kat! Our Belle likes to come in to my "green room" where I have my "museum of militaria collection" and just roam around sniffing at the boxes, crates, web gear, and such. I think she enjoys the smell of it in there. I know I certainly do!
    That is a dandy 88 sir! Do I spy an original sling? The muzzle pic is outstanding by the way! It truly highlights the look of the 88's muzzle. Big, bawdy, and fierce! When I get more of my accessories for my 88 I will post more photos. I'm still working on the cleaning of the barrel. I have always "dressed out" all of the pieces in my collection to original as issued standards. I'm terribly OCD... Lol.

Flintlocke:

I greatly appreciate the input. I'm alwys looking for something "better and more efficient". Work smarter not harder. I will give it a go.

Cheers,
    Terry

Terry,

The sling is a modified Swedish Mauser sling that came with the rifle. I recently picked up a nicely made reproduction Gew 1888 sling on e-bay. I might shoot it this summer in service rifle matches.