Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of stock?

Out of stock?

Although I'm well stocked for the duration, while looking for .375 JDJ components for a friend, I noted that just about everything EVERYWHERE is listed as "Out of Stock".
    Not just primers and powder, but bullet molds, nose punches, sizing dies, brass, you name it!
    Not just .375 either. It seems pretty widespread online.
    Other than fearing the change in administrations, is there any reason for the absence of product?
    Are suppliers like RCBS, Alliant, et.al. all running 24/7?
    Has Covid disrupted supply chains?
    What's up?
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

I talked to a supplier around 2015 asking about 35 Remington availability. I was told some items are "seasonal", and only made every two years. With the great backlog of demand, low demand components could be delayed a while.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

I am wondering if the lack of supply of metals, alloy, raw materials is one of the causes of shortages. The companies can't make a product without a source materials.

The tree-huggers, granola's, and environmental nazi's have driven out steel mills, ore mining, lead mining, etc, out of our country, and everything has to be imported.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I went into a LGS a few days ago. Hardly any handguns left, long guns sparse. Only ammo I saw was 28 gauge shotgun shells, and a couple boxes of odd ball rifle rounds.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    I believe it is the large influx of new gun owners and the lack of ammunition for sale that is increasing the number of people wanting/needing to make their own ammo. the reloading industry is getting slammed so hard that even without covid they couldn't keep up without increasing production/machinery/employees (which may not be practical for them to maintain after they have caught up with current demands and people aren't desperate to buy anymore.

my 2¢

Boolit Master
    ^^^
    Exacerbated by COVID, civil unrest, and the typical four year cycle based on election concerns. The first I think is a double whammy: not only the increased demand from fear of the unknown, both rational and panic based buying, but also, as the OP suggested, production limitations from shutdowns, and maybe illness all along the supply chain.

Boolit Grand Master

Sigh... As I've read in maybe 80 other threads just like this one, yes everything gun related is scarce. Yes, manufacturers are running full speed. Yes, the China virus has affected manufacturing and shipping. Yes, there are several conspiracy theories running around from manufacturers purposely warehousing supplies, to government buying everything, and even China buying all the USA ammo for their planned invasion. Yes, the major reason for the shortages is fear/panic. Yes, our gun rights are under attack. Yes, if you weren't prepared you are pretty much S.O.L.. Yes, there are many predictions on the future for gun owners, shooters and reloaders out there, take your pick...

Pogo; "We have met the enemy and they is us...".

FWIW; I went to Bi-Mart a couple days ago and as usual wandered into the Sporting Goods dept. On the shelf was about 24 boxes of Federal 9mm and a sign stating "one box per customer". I don't need any more 9mm and I don't want to start on a new load (150 gr Syntec) so I left my one box for someone else. There was a couple other calibers, IIRC 40 S&W and a rifle cartridge plus cases of various shot shells, none of which I need or want...
    Last edited by mdi; 01-31-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Living in the woods, foothills of the Appalachians.
    While I agree that the usual 9mm, 5.56, 45acp, 308, tactical whatever guns, ammunition, and magazines, etc., as well as .22lr, buckshot, and so one always sell out at times such as these... I've also noticed some bizarre trends. Bullet molds and oddball calibers, brass and so on are getting hard to find as the OP mentioned.

But more than that, I've noticed Italian repros drying up as well. I was in the market for a new Sharps carbine or Trapdoor, which last fall were numerous on Gunbroker (and always have been), are now quite rare, along with just about any other rifle coming from Italy [Cimarron, Uberti, Taylors, Pedersoli, etc.] I'm pretty sure folks aren't hoarding .54 Sharps Carbines for the coming zombie apocalypse or whatever.

The only theory I've heard from the Italian standpoint is that they got hit pretty hard with covid, putting their manufacturing about a year behind. (Then factor in shipping, raw materials, etc.)

My big fear is Italian imports would be banned under a EO or new law eliminating firearms importation. That would pretty much end CAS, SASS, Buffalo matches, etc. Nothing would surprise me anymore though.

Boolit Master

410 shot shell components are very hard to find also. One of the gun shops I use just got in a bunch of new rifles and pistols. He said there was more coming. Unfortunately they do not sell reloading supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    410 shot shell components are very hard to find also.
    The popularity of .410 handguns & OU Derringers hasn't helped that situation one bit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When even air rifles have vanished it is a sign.

Boolit Master
    The conspiracy theories about ammo and such were so bad the two ammo CEO's made a few videos about how they are at max production.

One noted that they made more hunting ammo this last year than they have in any previous year in history. And almost all of their component production is going into ammo, leaving little 'left over' for reloaders.

You can get some bullets. I just bought another box of Berger bullets for my .308.

Boolit Master
    I have been tempted to take a box of 9x19, 7.62x39, 5.56 and .22lr to the gun shop to see what they would give me for them. I have stockpile of factory ammo in these chamberings and I don't even have a gun for 7.62x39 anymore. Maybe I could ease the shortage a tiny bit.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    All firearms stuff is scare. When ammo sells out people start buying reloading supplies. When modern guns are all sold out, people turn to the old school replica guns. When all the .308 supplies sell out, people buy the .375 supplies.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered 8 lbs of reinactor black from Grafs (in stock)to make sure I have enough to last the rest of my days for my 32 cal flint lock. Not sure what the future will bring but I want to be prepared.

Boolit Master
    I’m almost out of small rifle primers, but don’t shoot much so that last 1k will do me for a while. Got 1k 223 range brass coming so ill be set for a while.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That is what happen when the country (sort of) elects a Democrat government. Will be at least 2 long years B4 we can change anything....even a little bit.

Sad..................................

Boolit Master

Just called Graf's about an order. Talked to a very nice lady. I asked her if they had any idea about the non availability of ammo and components. She said no, but they (Graf's people) believed it was gaps in the supply chain, as several posts here have said. Just have to wait it out. FWIW, their 1-800 number is down, they have no idea why.
    Last edited by gbrown; 02-01-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Correction
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

It's no wonder there is a shortage; over 7 million guns sold last year (for various reasons, and I'm sure of fear of democrats attack on 2nd Amendment) many by new buyers/shooters that bought a couple boxes (some) of ammo. Then panic buying of ammo drove many to start reloading and casting. So kinda a "domino effect". A huge surge in buying any and all firearm related items...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

That 7 million figure is new first time firearm owners not total sales. The number of NICS checks was just under 40 million and total sales could be as high as 47 million.

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2021/0...in%20the%20U.S.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-01-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast