Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should a Lee prod. IV glow red?

Boolit Man

Should a Lee prod. IV glow red?

I got my Lee bottom pour production pot (10lb) in the mail today. I fired it up and I’m not so sure it’s working as it should. It got hot, and seemed like it just kept increasing. The bottom of the cup was glowing red with the heat setting set on 6. I turned it down to low and it still was red hot. When it dropped red hot lead into my aluminum mold I stopped and called it a day. Seemed like it was too hot and kept getting hotter. I had the pot roughly 1/2 full and kept it at about that level.

Is it new or used ? The Thermostat may not be working. I have 4 LEE pots (one of which I bought in 1978) and none have ever glowed. I'd contact LEE. If you go to the LEE website you can get parts. The first part is free just pay shipping. Follow this link.

https://leeprecision.com/parts/bulle...-pot-iv-parts/

This is for 110V they have 220v pots also. If you go down the left side of the Home page you will see parts. Put the cursor on it and a window will pop up for all they products they make. Select the item you need parts for and another window opens and lists all parts. Pick what you need and add to cart. First part is free. I regularly order parts for molds, dies, furnaces and whatever else.All I pay is shipping. It's a good deal. I hope this helps.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

This is gonna sound weird because of how unsafe it sounds... but did you have adequate lighting? When i cast into the night, i have to use a spotlight, and have noticed that the pot itself will glow red, cant recall if the alloy ever got a glow to it.

1st thing i would do is get a thermometer and check alloy temp. Should tell you everything you need to know.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with BrutalAB. Did you test the alloy temp? That would be my first step and if your thinking the pot is malfunctioning do it outside. I have some leftover Hardi Plank on top of my bench where I use the pots, molds etc.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    I have two different vintages of those pots and in lower light at setting 4 thru 7 and with a low level of alloy they both glow a dull red about half way down and to the bottom.

Boolit Master
    Never noticed that on my pot but I cast in the he day time. You should here the thermostat clicking off and on. My stat is loud enuf to hear it and the hum of the heating element. If not get a thermometer. The stats are easy to replace.

Banned

I only noticed any glow in either of mine only when the lead volume gets to about half full. Keep the pot full.

Mine will glow when the pot gets below half. I keep it near full and have no problems.
    I never have had it drop red hot lead into a mold though.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd agree with bad thermostat. The temperature required to reach a red heat is well beyond casting temperatures.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I'm reading in other sources that metals will glow red at 900-950°. Like tazman, I've never seen lead do it, though I don't cast or process lead in the dark, and, except with a weed burner played over scrap, probably don't hit that temp range.

Banned
    the thermostats on lee pots are not consistent, one of my pots casts great at 2 while another needs 7 or 8. That's one reason I switched to using a PID.

seeing that the thermostat is in a housing several inches away from the pot ------ how accurate could it be? same as the thermostats on countertop ovens. Both are affected by the surrounding temperatures.

IF you are casting in a colder environment the thermostat will try to get the lead hotter to get XXX amount of heat back to it.

IF it's a new pot, call Lee and they will send you a new thermostat, if not https://leeprecision.com/110v-Thermostat.html free + S&H.

In conclusion, you cant rely on the thermostat, you really need a thermometer in the lead to know the temperature.

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys. The pot is new and it was roughly 1/2 full. Lighting is what I would call adequate but not spectacular. It’s a garage with work benches down the sides and it has 2 of the 4ft fluorescent lights in it. While casting one was about 2 ft behind me at a height of about 10 ft. I could see plenty well. It was cool in the garage because my daughter was in and out with her bike and scooter and the wind was ripping away any heat that was there. I’m going to try it again under better circumstances and with more lead handy. I need to melt down another 20 pounds or so now that I’m more comfortable with what I’m doing. I will order a thermometer for the pot.

Boolit Master

My Lee 20lb pot will regulate at 670 F with the thermostat set at about 5 1/2 . A dull red color is about 700 F so if you're seeing that on the cooler spout you have the alloy too hot.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I gotta confess I have used Lee pots a long time decades and have never tried casting in the dark

Boolit Buddy
    I have seen mine glow when I am casting at night. Not often, but occasionally. The lead was still at normal temperatures coming out. But it freaked me out the first time. I will generally turn it down or add more lead when it starts to do that.

-Mb

I never let my Lee get more than half empty. Never seem the glowing red thing but I do cast in daylight in the garage. I use a pid set at 725 but setting the dial to 6-7 would be about the same.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I feel a whole lot better knowing i am not the only person that has casted in "less than adequate" lighting.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve seen mine glow red with less than a quarter left. It was when I was done casting and the sun was setting, so minimal light.

Boolit Master
    a thermometer is something you should probably want to have anyways. I never saw lead so hot it was glowing red. steel yeah but never lead, but I work in daylight when casting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast