RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: who taught you to cast boolits?

Boolit Master

Dad and I largely self-taught from about 2010. We had been reloading since my teens in the mid-80's, but needed to start casting when he acquired a Whitworth rifle replica and I a Webley MKVI - - little did we know that we were starting out with two of the most difficult styles of molds to get decent results from. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

My father-in-law taught me to cast bullets, but my father had me casting fishing sinkers before that. The transition wasn't that big. Mostly it was learning about alloys. You can cast sinkers out of just about anything.

Boolit Master
    Self taught by trial and error over 40 years ago. Wasn't much written about it except in the Lee and Lyman mold instructions.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Like others have said, self taught with trial and error and a great deal of help from this place.

everyone here ....thank you
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    You did.....I learned it from watching you! Lol Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I leanrned from the Lyman cast bullet handbook, the first and second, and through trial and error. I read some here when I had problems and have read every book I can get my hands on.

Nobody in my family was gun people. I'm still the only one.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-30-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    My pap , Bailey Wright Southgate . Started on .44 round balls for a revolving rifle , moved to conical bullets for a '58 Remington , then to Minnie's for my Zoli Zouave carbine . Pap was blinded in an accident involving a cannon at a local Frontier Day's celebration so teaching me amounted to telling me how to use the equipment involved, flux and clean the metal , critiquing my bullets until I had my technique down pat. He has been gone 31 years now and I have mourned his loss every last minute of it .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    I watched and old time bullet caster one day whe ni stopped at his place for somethinging else i had no clue he did this.never tryed it till some years later.My best friend and I tryed it but had no luck all we got done was lead our guns.that was 30 years ago.fast forward a few years and i found this site and did alot more reading.the biggest help was finding this site and all the great people here willing to help.30 years ago we tryed shooting the cast in our 686s.Tuns out atleats my gun had a bad barrel constriction and i am guessing my best buds did to.My Bud passed away in 2011 and i started castin gbullets in 2012.He sure would be amazed by what i do now.Just imagin if one of up would have had a gun that would shoot cast bullets 30 years ago instead of not knowing it was the gun.Anway.Thanks bunches to all here that were a huge help along the way and still are.I do not think i will ever stop learning about casting bullets.

I give a few casting lessons now and then.the yougis are just like i was back in the day Just that youg and full of it lol no time to set still.In time i am sure few of them will slow down a bit at some point.Just hope i dont slow down to much befor then lol.

Boolit Buddy

My father and grandfather taught me at 13 or14. Did not cast much until I got out of the Corp. 1968!
    SEMPER FI remember you only have the "RIGHTS" you are willing to fight for & except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR has never solved anything!

Vegas Vince / NRA Benefactor / USMC

Boolit Master
    The folks here on this forum taught me to cast. Started just a few months after my reloading began. Just spent a few months reading religiously, gathering supplies, then trial and error. The day I received an Accurate mold and a LatheSmith expander funnel was the day it all came together. The Lee mold I was using was undersized and my Dillon expander funnel wasn't helping in that it miked .353. It was great for the jacketed that I started this reloading adventure with, but for cast it was swaging down already too small boolits.

Boolit Master
    In ‘65 I wanted to shoot the trapdoor Springfield dad had over the mantle in our den. There were a few rounds from an old box of 405 grain soft points from I am guessing the forties and some empty brass. Long story short, I mowed enough yards to order a 457124 single cavity w / handles along with the iron pot, ladle and stick of that nasty black lube from Lyman and learned to keyhole targets at 100 yards. Took nearly 15 years of reading before I tried again (successfully, this time) using the RCBS .37 - 250 - FN in a .375 H & H. Wished this site had been available back then!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

Myself and a couple Lyman manuals in 91

Read about it in Hand Loader Magazine and read the directions that came in a box of Casting equipment I bought at a Yard Sale.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wyofool View Post
    Self taught, well that and this web site. Thanks to everyone here who helped.
    Same here. Everything I know I learned from trial and error and castboolits.gunloads.com. I might add,...after I warm up the pot, I can start casting some really nice boolits in no time at all.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Self Taught with a lot of help from the folks on this forum! Most of them are not on this forum any more! But they became true friends and my mentors!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Fortune cookie 45LC, many thanks to him.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Buddy

I went to college for firearms technology and became a ballistics technician. During my course work we had a tiny section on lead and casting. Being a young, new father that loved to shoot I did what every youngster in this age does and hit the interwebs. I discovered this forum and Fortunecookie45LC and now my wife is furious that our garage has become a boolit factory. I buy guns now just because I want to cast for them...

Boolit Grand Master
    I dabbled with a Lee .375 RB mould and range lead for my 51 Navy, melting the lead with a propane torch in a mess kit spoon during the early 90's. Didn't work all that well.

Then I got to shore duty in late 1999, and found Shooters.com and the sixgunner and levergun websites. Retirement in 2004 really cut into the disposable income, but now as long as I can find primers, I can make just about anything shoot acceptably.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    MURPHY, I hope that my" part time son" who we helped raised for 3.5 years will be interested.. His dad ran out on him and his mom raised him. hes studying to be a teacher, and I wish him luck... My best friends son is serving in the Air Force in Florida and is very gun savvy. If anything happens to me I want him to have my entire boolit casting/ reloading stuff........ My part time son ; can have my shooting irons- all 4 of them, you see my oldest son is 24 and is autistic, and my other son is a blind, non verbal quadriplegic ; so i gotta figure out who gets what later on..........

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast