Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?Dried? case lube

Banned

?Dried? case lube

Hornadys One Shot (lanolin is in it, Hornady says) dries after application. Went by the instructions. I spray on cardboard with 252 cases standing, in four directions. Too much ?? The stuff really doesn't "dry" to the point of oozing out the die vent hole accumulating on top of the dies lock nut. Occasionally I have to wipe out the die. Wondering if I should 86 the One Shot and use Lanolin and alcohol... but use less lanolin... rather than 16 oz's alcohol / 4 ounce lanolin.

Moderator Emeritus

castmiester,
    Welcome to the website.

I use One Shot. It don't take much.

I spray from two sides (front and back) ...just enough to see that they are wet. I usually stand up a group of about 25, then spray for about 3 seconds front and 3 seconds back side, be sure some gets inside the case.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    thanks for the welcome

So you don't experience the build up in the die?

Moderator Emeritus

no build up
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Welcome to CB

I use Gold Eagle ISO HEET Gas LINE Anti FREES-12 OZ. (REPL. HA55360) + 1 ounce of liquid lanolin. You can add more lanolin if you like.

I use a gallon plastic jar 1/4 full of cut-up sponges. I spray 2-3 squirts of lanolin/heet mix in the jar, fill 2/3 with brass then give 3 more sprays over the brass. put the lid back on and shake it up well.

I use mink oil occasionally. Lately, I've been using the Lee water-soluble case lube. Put a 1/4" dab in the bottom of a 1/2 gallon plastic bowl with a lid and fill 2/3 with brass. put on the lid then shake up the brass rotating the bowl. All the brass should have a light haze, if not add a BB-sized dab and shake some more.

I have a lot of primmed brass that needs to be sized ie: pull-down brass or brass I cleaned & primed before sizing using the lee water-based lube, after sizing I get a bowl of hot water with a little dish soap, wet a rag in it and ring out the rag, line up some brass on the damp rag and roll them back and forth for a few seconds, move the brass to a dry towel and repeat the rolling process----- clean lube-free brass. when done with all the brass I'm cleaning, I put all the cleaned brass in a big towel, form a hammock (holding the ends of the towel) I rock the brass back and forth to ensure dry and clean.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 01-30-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Banned
    Thanks guys.. I appreciate your help

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    castmiester,
    Welcome to the website.

I use One Shot. It don't take much.

I spray from two sides (front and back) ...just enough to see that they are wet. I usually stand up a group of about 25, then spray for about 3 seconds front and 3 seconds back side, be sure some gets inside the case.
    ^^^This^^^ I lay the cases down, spray a light coat making sure to get it inside the necks, then roll them 180 degrees and repeat. I've found that I get better results if I lay them down, but whatever works for you. You don't need much! Once applied I usually fan the cases with a piece of stiff cardboard to hasten the drying time. Hornady says to wait until they are dry or you risk sticking a case. I confess, I usually don't wait until totally dry but I've used it for years and haven't stuck a case yet. YMMV!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned
    I think this can sat too long and I thought I shook it enough... there were major dents in the can from the mixing ball inside. I went to use it and prayed the cases down. They sized ok felt fine goin in, a little stiff, but didn't want to over spray them by trying to get inside the mouth.. it seems they hang a up a bit, and pulls on the rim a bit and distorts it a little. Broke out my can of Lyman Quick Slick... works, but it's lard oil, and takes longer to dry. Waiting now to see. It too oozes out of the die after a few cases.
    Last edited by castmiester; 01-29-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not fan of One Shot case lube. I was processing a few gallons of rifle fired 5.56 brass when I tried it.

The first spray can of it did fine, hence buying the second can. I had several stuck cases in the resizing die with it, to the point I started just spraying the cases with plain old WD-40, it worked better than the One Shot. I did tumble the cases afterward in walnut media to remove the oil.

Now I primarily use Redding's Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Although there are a plethora of things that work.

Robert

I lay cases flat, spray lightly with one shot or Lyman's version of it, roll 189 degrees, spray again.

I spray at a low angle so it goes into the case necks as much as it'll reach.
    I keeps some stress & strain off the expander ball.

I also clean & tumble the cases afterwards before loading.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    One Shot is my favorite. I'll put 50 30-06 cases in a zip lock bag and just a short shot, shake it up and have never had a stuck case.

I have a quart size zip lock bag I put 50 or so cases in the bag and give it a couple of spritzes then work the cases around in the bag. Dump them out and let them dry then resize. About every 4th case I dip a neck in ground mica. It has helped eliminate stuck cases when doing 223's and 308's. I use imperial sizing wax for the magnum cases.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I use it, .223, .30-06, .308 .38-40 & .44-40, works well for me, big quantities.
    I use nylon case blocks from Sinclair that friend gave me. Two rows of holes, spritz one side and then the other. Never had a stuck case with One Shot. Takes 5+ minutes to dry, it's gotta be dry.
    Most other cases I use either a case lube pad for 20-60rd boxes. Or Imperial case lube with fingers for a few cases.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Welcome to CB

I use Gold Eagle ISO HEET Gas LINE Anti FREES-12 OZ. (REPL. HA55360) + 1 ounce of liquid lanolin. You can add more if you like
    I used 91% Alcohol and 1 ounce of Lanolin. Can't believe the price almost doubled... 10 bucks + tax for 4 oz. now 18 + tax ! Guess You can get an idea how long it's been since I bought Lanolin. Just using the more pure alcohol, dries waaay faster, like a minute or less, and the 1 ounce of Lanolin is just enough, and sizes more. I use my Dillion gauge and it still falls below the first step, either way, just a little more with your mixutre Conditor .....Thanks for the help !

Boolit Master
    All commercial case lubes and a lot of alternatives work fine when applied as they should be.

Cases get stuck for one reason only; insufficient lube on the lower (thick) part of the cases. The increased pressure needed to drive a case home is our only signal to stop and apply more lube.

Lube ozing from the air vent OR shoulder dents are for one reason only; too much lube on the upper part of the cases.

Both problems are amplified by improper application of the chosen lube type.

Banned
    I'm done guessing..... 1oz lanolin wit 16 ounces alcohol. Not enough or too much is not in the equation.

I use One Shot as well as Dillon's version of the same thing. I usually dump all the brass into a round bottom bowl - after cleaning them - and give a couple of sprays from the pump. Like someone said above it doesn't take much. Then I swirl them around in the bowl with my fingers until they all feel wet. Dump them out onto a shop towel, let them dry a few minutes and proceed with sizing. Never had a problem one way or the other.

Boolit Master
    Whatever your paying for alcohol and lanolin is still way more cost efficient than buying the pre mixed stuff and it last for ever. And you get to diy.

Banned
    The very first batch I made was 16:4. Now I mix 16:1.5. I heard 12 even 10:1. So yeah I'll last quite a spell. The first time I bought lanolin it was 10 something, just last week the same store charged 18 bucks for 4 ounces.

Boolit Grand Master
    The last time I bought lanolin, it was from one of the online soap making suppliers. Much cheaper that paying retail prices, I think I even got beeswax from them at the same time.

Don't remember who it was I bought from, do some browsing to find whats available.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast