Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: PC Round Balls

Boolit Bub

PC Round Balls

Has anyone tried PC on round balls. I have a 20ga English fowler that I have been shooting patched round balls out of, at 25 yards it shoots great but at 50yards it opens up. I was told to try an unpatched ball as close to bore diameter as I can get. The bore is .615 and I have some .610 balls, if I powder coat them how much bigger do you think they will be? Thanks Jerry

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes. But it's really just for the novelty of it. It does add 2-3 thousandths to the diameter, but didn't affect the flight that I could tell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round balls.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	276312
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Nothing that big, but I did some .36 caliber balls for slingshot ammo for the grandkids.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0304201827_Film1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	276317

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I do it all the time using the tumble method. I keep one container around just for round balls. I ESPC everything else.

I cast and coat 30/45/50/62 cal round balls. The coat will have a divot where it lays on the baking surface, but no big whoop.

PC does add 2 thou to a slug of any shape and size.

banger

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if you can see those basketball's in flight?

Boolit Bub
    PC won’t add that much of size to them. Maybe three thousandths at the most

Boolit Bub
    Two to three thousandths is what I've measured. I'm using smokes OD green and the ASBBT method.

Boolit Master

Makes buckshot easy to spot in deer carcass ?

Boolit Master

Same here, first go around was 45 RB with Alox for plinker loads in a 45 Colt Carbine. I got 900 fps from the 20" barrel, didn't chrono from the Ruger 4 5/8" OM Vaquero, had too much fun just shooting them. Shortly thereafter, I ASBBPC and baked.

Later, I ASBBPC the .690 RB for loading in 12 ga 2 3/4" shells with the BP 12 double end wad which holds the ball nicely in place and seals the gun powder gasses as well. I used corn meal under the ball to get the load height right for a fold crimp. I didn't chrono the loads but they were tame and kept them on a paper plat at 50 yards from an IC 870 Express Magnum.

I have since purchased a roll crimp tool which I will use in opaque shells so you can clearly the Zombie Green RB, I will use some for Red White and Blue buck shot at my brother's request. The rest of the time they will be jet black in normal shells.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Try putting the same amount of Cream of Wheat on top of your BP. It could help give you a better seal behind the ball.

Boolit Master

I don't buy COW, but do buy corn meal. I started using it in a percussion revolver to prevent chain fires and to seat the ball closer the the cylinder face for better accuracy. 25 gr of Pyrodex with CM shot like 30 gr without. The corn meal also cut down on fouling and smelled of corn muffins when I touched them off

As far as COW v CM I think it is a push. BTW, the double end cup is snug in the IC choke, and was pretty much the same resistance pushed through the muzzle to breach as breach to muzzle. As stated, CM was used for attaining fill for fold crimps, I will be using roll crimps and see if I will still need filler.

I started out making a double cup wads from paper fiber pressed into a form mold to squeeze out moisture, HORRID failure, but I tried it none the less. As far as hot cereal goes, I actually like CM over COW as I don't have to sweeten or butter CM as I did with COW, hence why I don't have any in the pantry. I make a lot of corn bread too.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use grits instead of cornmeal as it seems to be a more uniform grain size. Wonder how polenta would work?

In Remembrance
    Yes, you can PC the round balls, but you still need black powder lube to keep powder fouling soft.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

I'd think they would tip over on the move in to the oven.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan