RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: S&w 29/629

S&w 29/629

Wanting to turn my model 29 into a two tone revolver by installing a stainless 629 cylinder and barrel as well as the thumb cylinder release button. Maybe the screws as well.

Question I have is ... are the parts the exact same between the 29's and 629's ?

Thanks in advance all.

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 01-29-2021 at 12:55 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

While the cylinders may look interchangable, and might even be able to be placed into the frame, the M-629 cylinder will most likely need to be timed/fitted to the M-29 frame for proper chamber alignment, end shake, etc, etc.

No shooter needs issues like blow back into their face.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

The 29 is a dash 2. Have not bought the cylinder nor barrel yet from a 629.

So some history will prolly shed light on this project.

I bought this 29-2 from a fella that lost everything but his pets and clothes him and his wife had to the terrible fires we had in the cascade mountains here in Oregon. This revolver and a couple others were in a fire proof safe but got scorched badly.

So it is my plan to have it examined by a good qualified smith to ascertain its soundness. If the cylinder and barrel do NOT pass muster, then I want to replace cylinder and barrel at least to try to make a shooter out of it.

All else fails , I have helped a brother out in a small way and have a souvenir from the Beechie creek fire.

The other gun is an Italian Walker. It got hot enough to burn the grips off and partially melt the brass grip frame.

Anyhew ... this is going to be satisfactory any way it works out. Just wondering which parts fit which guns in the replacement category.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The 29-2 dates from the 1970s and modern 629 parts are not going to fit. If the revolver got hot enough to discolor the blue and case colors on the hammer and trigger, heat treatment has been affected and probably unsafe to shoot. Even if you replace barrel and cylinder, the frame is suspect if Rockwell hardness is less than Rc20. Not sure what S&W specs were in that era, but Rugers were Rc30 minimum. If springs have lost their temper, therein lies a clue.

Cost of restoration not worth it. Would likely require annealing the frame, running it back through the heat treat cycle, rebluing and refitting new barrel, cylinder, springs and small parts. S&W would not touch it these days, as parts for these older guns are no longer available. If you ask nice they may give you a deal on a new replacement if you turn in your old one to be scrapped.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in purchasing your 29 if you decide not to proceed with the project.

Thanks for the info. Having never done work persay on smith revolvers, I decided to just make a contribution instead of buying. Sounds a bit over my head.

Thankyou for the info and suggestions

Boolit Master

If leaving the frame and barrel blue you could have the cylinder and cyl latch as well as the hammer & trigger Industrial chromed ! i had a whole blued 29 & a blued 19 chromed years ago