Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: COAL issues

Boolit Master

COAL issues

Having a heck of a time figuring out a COAL for this bullet and gun. Mihec 357 125 TC. Have tried 1.150, 1.145, 1.140, 1.130, 1.125, 1.120, 1.115 and 1.110. Belling removed .375 to .378, tried several different crimps in this range. Bullets HiTek sized .357. The mold casts 357 solid flat point around 130 grains. While doing dummies I found that 1.130 chambered without any drama. Length longer than 1.130 would strip from mag, enter the chamber and catch at 12 o'clock of the chamber.

The gun is SA 9mm RO with less than 600 rounds. Magazine is stock Wilson shipped from SA with the gun. Don't think the mag has ever hit the ground that I recall. Ordered two Chip McCormick's just in case that's the drama. Gun is reasonably clean and greased.

The malfunction is pretty much round pretty much strikes feed ramp at shiny spot and stops slide cold. All remedial action required to clear is pulling slide to the rear 3/8ths of on inch and round goes into battery. At most three taps like that chambers the round. Round does not nose dive nor enter chamber in any fashion. Not all rounds do this. Ten round strings can range from two malfunction to five or six. Couple strings have fired as expected. Each round has been individually measured both OAL and belling removal. Variance in length hasn't been more than a thousandth while trying to figure this out. Thank you for some ideas of what to check.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    I don't know if you can open the lips of the magazine a little bit so the cartridge is pointing up a little more on a SPFLD.

Boolit Master

I will definitely keep that in mind. I will wait till the chip Mccormick mags arrive and see how the stack looks and cycles. Maybe someone will see this post that has the same magazine and a set of calipers. Not opposed to using some pin gauges and cyphering out the stack angle as well.

Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"

Boolit Master

Think I might have figured it out. There is a polymer shim spacer the entire length of the backside of the magazine. When the cartridge would hit the dimple on magazine follower, the follower would ever so slightly dip down. Shimed with aluminum coil stock of .010" times three. Definitely firmed up the follower and no more dipping. This is UNTESTED. More to follow.

That sounds like a textbook 3-point jam and easily remedied with an extractor tune and a polishing of the chamber. This pic shows the areas that need attention, particularly areas D, F and G. Your feed ramp looks like it could us a good buffing also, including the radius entering the chamber. I do this to every 1911 and there's a remarkable difference in how the guns feed and chamber. If you don't want to mess with the stock extractor for warranty purposes you can always buy another and tune it instead. I always have a few extractors ready to drop in when the need arises.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extractor.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	276326
    Last edited by BC17A; 01-29-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am no 1911 expert but Your picture and the fact that it will feed if you pull the slide back a little and hit it again assuming the rounds are fully cycling the slide the simple thing to try would be to polish the feed ramp really smooth easy to do and not much chance to hurt anything . I try simple first .
    400 grit wet paper on a backer even cardboard you can bend to shape to stiffen it and smooth the ramp.

Your bullets are too green. You need to wait until they are ripe......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Excellent Texas. My PC is greener. Makes them easily separated from rubber mulch I usually shoot them into for a bullet trap.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with BC17A, make sure the bottom of your extractor has a little radius and is not too tight.

Boolit Master

Shimming the magazine seems to have cleared up the problem. Shot 60 plus rounds today and yesterday without a hiccup. Tested the extractor as well using the shake test with dummy and fired case. It was a little loose, I put a touch more tension on it. Still a little more loose than what I seen others set but I figured I would approach this with caution. Thanks for the information shared. Also learned that typically 9mm 1911 platforms are lubercation hogs. I wasn't exactly aware of that as well. Great learning endeavor.

Boolit Master
    Glad you found a simple solution and got her working .