WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 RB wads what lube

44 RB wads what lube

I have 3 different lubes that will work. I have Blue & Gray patch lube, maxi lube, and Traditions wonder lube 1000 plus and its frozen ? not sure I would use it in cold weather..
    What do you use I also have a batch of bullet lube that I mixed with wax, petro jelly and JJ paste wax.
    What is the best way to lube the wads?
    Thanks Dave
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210127_151214 (3).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	276217

For winter use I used 2 parts olive oil to 1 part beeswax plus a blue crayon to mark it as the cold weather lube. For summer I mixed the two ingredients in a 50/50 mix. Recipes for wad and BP lubes are too numerous to count. Beeswax & lard is a little firmer and cheaper with the same proportions.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    I use 1 part Bee's wax and 2 parts Mutton Tallow.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    For what they are used for, especially in a pistol barrel, I've used just olive oil on Dura Felt distributed in a sandwich baggie, then put out on some paper towels to absorb any excess. In a rifle length barrel I melt it together with some Crisco. GF

Thanks for the Ideas, worth a try, not sure where to get mutton tallow.

Get mutton tallow from Dixie Gun Works.
    I use Gatofeo #1,
    2 parts mutton tallow
    2 parts gulf canning wax
    1 part beeswax

It's hard enough to not contaminate your gunpowder when you ram the ball down, a problem I have had with several other lube recipes. Also makes a great dip lube.

Boolit Buddy
    if this is for a cap & ball revolver, Ford moly EP lube in a tube from a parts store will get 'er done. Doesn't freeze in the winter, doesn't run in the summer. I've used it since 1980 in a Ruger Old Army stainless. A buddy has had similar experience with the same gun. A few years ago.I' shot a NMLRA pistol agg in two 30 minute relays. That's lot of fowling in a hurry. Took second, but that was not the lube's fault.

If you know a deer hunter who shoots a fat deer the backfat is what I use for mutton tallow. Chop it up, boil it, and skim it clean.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    If you know a deer hunter who shoots a fat deer the backfat is what I use for mutton tallow. Chop it up, boil it, and skim it clean.
    Making mutton tallow out of a deer is quite a trick!

thanks for all the ideas.

I've always used the T/C lube for dry wads.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Anyone powder coating round balls

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shaggybull View Post
    Anyone powder coating round balls
    that would be anti-productive. the reason for a patched ball down a muzzleloader's throat is two fold - lube to keep the powder residue soft, and to act as a "soft sabot" of sorts to keep lead off the rifling.

use whatever ya like for lube that actually works well, even spit will keep the gunk soft after ignition.

the two lubes that have worked best for me in the last 67 years is gato feo #1 (see nobade's post) and rendered bear oil (thank you edward!).

Banned

Heating gato feo #1 into the weave of cotton patch strips ...

Boolit Buddy
    Another lube that works well to keep powder fouling soft in percussion revolvers is 100% neatsfoot oil (not "neatsfoot oil compound"). Just punch out the wads, soak in the neatsfoot oil, and squeeze out the excess.

Neatsfoot oil is also a great patch lube.

You can get a quart from Amazon for under $20 shipped.

Neatsfootoil Had to look it up. Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the shin bones and feet (but not the hooves) of cattle.
    Thanks Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    that would be anti-productive. the reason for a patched ball down a muzzleloader's throat is two fold - lube to keep the powder residue soft, and to act as a "soft sabot" of sorts to keep lead off the rifling.

use whatever ya like for lube that actually works well, even spit will keep the gunk soft after ignition.

the two lubes that have worked best for me in the last 67 years is gato feo #1 (see nobade's post) and rendered bear oil (thank you edward!).
    I think the original poster is requesting information on WAD LUBE for .44 revolver as apposed to patch lube for rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Neatsfootoil Had to look it up. Neatsfoot oil is a yellow oil rendered and purified from the shin bones and feet (but not the hooves) of cattle.
    Thanks Dave
    Sure thing. It's generally used for treating leather, so it's handy to have around aside from lubricating patches or wads.

Boolit Mold
    I make paper cartridges for revolvers so the wads are kept dry till I use them. During loading I'll place a small amount of crisco between the wad and ball unless I'm using conicals as the bess wax lube is already on the bullets.

Boolit Master
    Pure Bees Wax and Mutton Tallow
    Failure is not an Option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast