Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying Liguid Alox without tumbling?

Boolit Buddy

Applying Liguid Alox without tumbling?

Is it possible to apply Liquid Alox without tumbling? I don't want to coat the entire projectile, just the skirt. Can I use my Star Lubesizer for this or is there a better method? The projectile does not have lube grooves.

Boolit Master

you can always finger it on before sizing.. size it and finger on again then let set.

Boolit Master

If your wife has one of those candle wax warmers. That use a light bulb or a t light. Then fill it with alox warm it up. Then just dip the bullet and set them on some wax paper to dry.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Commonly called the Ranchdog dip,, I use the same for my checked HV loadings.

But I dont know how it would or could work on something without any lube grooves ?

I use the Lee liquid alox on some of my pistol ammo, but I just squirt some of it in a cottage cheese tub, dump in the bullets, stir it around with an ice cream stick, then dump them onto some newspaper to dry.

Once in a long time I'll still use the old, original cookie cutter system where I stand the bullets upright in a small metal pan, heat the alox (different from the liquid, comes in a stick if you can find it) and let it cool, then cut them out with a cartridge case of the appropriate size that I've cut the neck and base off from to make a cutter of the remaining tube.

I suppose you could stand the bullets upright in a shallow pan with some of the liquid alox in it and carefully dip the bullets into the alox just over where the lube grooves would be, then set them aside to dry. Pretty labor intensive if you're doing a lot of them. I'd think you'd scrape much of it off when seating the bullets in the cases.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    You could probably thin out your LLA with mineral spirits and use the candle wax warmer, to apply a real thin coat. Understanding that the MS is going to evaporate and your mix will thicken up after time. Time/labor intensive. I thin my LLA about 6/1 to 8/1 MS/LLA and put a thin coat on many of my cast boolits and let dry, before I run them thru the Star. Makes sizing so much easier.

Boolit Master

Same here.. A thin Lla then size..then Lla.

Boolit Grand Master

Dip lube them . Size them first . Hold by the nose and dip the boolits into a liquid lube , up to just above top lube groove , let drain , wipe base or set dipped boolits on a paper towel to dry .
    Check sticky's for dip lube ... Seems Ranch Dog used this method .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I sometimes use a Q-tip to swab LLA around the drive bands. Hold bullet by nose horizontally then run the LLA coated Q-tip around the bullet where you want it. Set on base on wax paper and let thoroughly dry. Works for me.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Waksupi can fix you up wit all the loob grooves you need!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    I've never tried Larry Gibson's method but I'm going to. I've always thought it was wasteful, and possibly a bit messy to apply LLA to bullet noses and bases, ogives, and elsewhere that lubrication isn't needed. I'll probably continue to apply by tumbling in the cool whip tub for large quantities but I can see where the qtip wipe would be especially useful where not very many bullets are being lubed.

Boolit Master

I use Ranch Dog’s dip or how Larry described. But my bullets have grooves.
    Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

wow.. dip lube seems like alot of work for high volume stuff. I agree lubing the ogive is wastefull, and generally requires cleaning a bit..

Boolit Master

Anyone got a recipe for a dip lube like alox? I have seen alox plus lundmark paste liquid wax and mineral spirits.. But can't get lundmark locally. Wanted to dip lube tonight. Is there anything I can get at Lowe's or home depot to replace it ?

Boolit Buddy
    I just put a small squirt in a ziplock, add the bullets, and squish them around until everything is coated. It doesn't take much. Then I either dump them out on something to dry, or if I am feeling really lazy, I just op-en up the bag and let them dry in there. It gets the whole bullet, unlike what you are looking for. But it is super simple, and works lust fine.

-Mb

Boolit Buddy
    One thimble of mineral spirits.
    One very small rag.
    One small rag.
    One chop stick.

The small rag with mineral spirits is for wiping the bullets after loading.
    The very small rag with mineral spirits and chopstick is for cleaning out your seating die.

Just tumble lube, and wipe. So much faster.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I've never tried Larry Gibson's method but I'm going to. I've always thought it was wasteful, and possibly a bit messy to apply LLA to bullet noses and bases, ogives, and elsewhere that lubrication isn't needed. I'll probably continue to apply by tumbling in the cool whip tub for large quantities but I can see where the qtip wipe would be especially useful where not very many bullets are being lubed.
    No doubt, tumble lubing lubes a lot of things that don't need lubing. But that little jar of liquid Alox does just over 900 million bullets. So the economic cost of lavishly lubing bullets really isn't of any consequence.

There could be other reasons or no reason at all to lube only the contact surfaces and it makes no difference to me how anyone lubes their bullets. But economics wouldn't seem to be significant.

Boolit Master

What is possibly significant is overlubed meplat and olives can attract dust, and depisit lube in chambers and on feedramps.

I have to admit, I have been known to take a freshly loaded box of 100 rounds. A towel, a few drops of either Mineral Spirits, or BLL, or almost anything solvent wise. Grab each bullet, stick the nose in the towel in the damp spot, and turn. Look it over, place in new box, repeat 99 times.

They sure shoot good, and look pretty.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have to admit, I have been known to take a freshly loaded box of 100 rounds. A towel, a few drops of either Mineral Spirits, or BLL, or almost anything solvent wise. Grab each bullet, stick the nose in the towel in the damp spot, and turn. Look it over, place in new box, repeat 99 times.

They sure shoot good, and look pretty.
    I'll admit wiping off excess on loaded rounds. Usually just a shop cloth, but I've done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast