RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explaining the difference between presses

Boolit Bub

Explaining the difference between presses

Ok I've done a bonehead thing, I got involved trying to do the right thing . I have been reloading for a few years. I don't know it all and I know there is always more to learn. I've been trying to explain to someone that a lube sizing press and a Reloading press are different and do different operations. And that , well for example a bullet lube sizer die .356 (RCBS) won't just fit into a rock chucker and do the same operation ( yes with adapters and hand lubing them and installing gas checks as seperate operations it is possible I've been told) they can't understand that a cartridge sizing die is not the same thing as a bullet sizing die. Short of doing a ghostly thing thru the internet ( kinda like Bill Cosby in ghost dad on the phone ) how can I explain the difference to a less knowledgeable person with out starting an argument ? Any words from our more experienced, more knowledgeable, members? (Yes I should have just kept my mouth shut,
    but sometimes the mouth talks before the brain reacts )

Now days, everyone except me has a smart phone in their pocket.
    Show 'em a picture of the two, explain the parts & functions, and go from there.

If they grasp the concepts, great.

If their eyes glaze over and their mouth falls open,,,,,
    change the subject, and talk about something else they can understand,
    like the newest video game for example. Or ask them what is their favorite pizza.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-26-2021 at 11:49 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If he thinks he can do something let him show you he can, otherwise why aggravate yourself?

Boolit Master
    I gave up. The more I wrote, the more I needed to write. It just got too deep for me to write. I probably just got too nerdy.

There are much more skilled writers here than me that can articulate this much better.

I will say this though, Commercial manufacturers spend many thousands on their equipment. If it were economically feasible for ALL operations on one machine, they would have it.

Good luck Yogi, I feel for ya.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Answer #2 is the way I would do it.
    If it's a lube sizer you have to force lube through holes in the die so the press is totally different.
    The Lee sizers will work on many presses but do not fill the lube grooves so lube is applied off the press.

Boolit Master
    Maybe the first thing to explain is the difference between a bullet and a cartridge case. Explaining that a bullet is not a loaded round might open the eyes a bit. A case has a groove for extraction from a die, a bullet has no way to pull it back out when pushed in the die. The person you are trying to teach may not know that a bullet is not a cartridge. The term bullet is used by many non shooters to refer to a loaded round. It would be hard to explain why the die and the press has to be different if they don't know that a bullet and a cartridge are not the same thing.

I've been trying to explain to someone that a lube sizing press and a Reloading press are different and do different operations.
    Easy, you could size bullets to a given diameter with either, but reloading presses have no provisions for lube application.

Boolit Buddy
    Its a shame that someone you're trying to help and educate isn't more receptive. If they are wanting to do it all on a reloading press they could PC and achieve that. Good luck

Banned
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Attempting to teach someone that doesn't want to learn is a futile task.

And there's always the possibility that the person you are "teaching" is actually testing your knowledge and just playing dumb.

Banned
    ya can't fix stupid

Send your friend a copy of The abc’s of reloading. Tell him to read it and then if he has questions call. Might help.

Yep like trying to nail jello to the wall, or herd cats!

Boolit Master

Ifin the person won`t read the ABC`s of reloading then intrest span does not meet the need for a shooting addiction.

I usually stop listening when a person calls a round of ammunition a bullet & a magazine a clip.

I regress

GP100man
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master

Explaining reloading to a non reloader can be impossible, depending on the mechanical ability, understanding and logical thinking, but; "reloading dies each do a different job in one of several different styles of reloading press from talking an empty cartridge case and ending up with a ready to shoot cartridge. Here, read my copy of the ABCs of Reloading...".
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Nowadays it is impossible to convince people what is what. I tend to turn around and walk away.

Boolit Master

Let them do their own work by getting the necessary reference material and reading it for understanding.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Maybe put it in another context that might help him understand. I worked as an automotive machinist for years... We had many presses in the shop....they all did something different, just as our presses and dies for reloading all do something different. It's a PROCESS, and processes by their very nature require steps..... ??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Take in an unlubed bullet and an empty cartridge case. Then explain what a lube press does to the bullet and what a reloading press does to a case.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Sounds like a candidate for a degree from u tube, like the rest of the fellas fast to type on their phones that have an attention span of under 1 minute

Boolit Master

A reloading press is used to put the components together (i.e. powder, primer, case, and boolit), that make a functional piece of ammunition. The lube-sizer press functions to swage the out-of-round or oversized lead boolit into a known and fixed diameter by forcing it through a die, sometimes seating a gas check, and squeezes lube into the boolit grooves. These are two fundamentally different operations.

Don't taunt someone that is interested in our hobby because they don't understand. Ten of twenty responses (50% so far) are negative responses. Wow there's a lot of piling on going on. I thought others should be encouraged to learn this hobby. I didn't know casting was reserved for only those that are greatly enlightened, highly educated, and can read. Your first grade reading teachers were tough as nails on half of you. I am discouraged by this thread. Please don't beat the guy with a book.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 01-28-2021 at 07:04 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast