Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Burn Care!

Boolit Mold

Burn Care!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please feel free to move it wherever it needs to go.

I was a cook in my former life and thus have learned a little bit about burn care. As tempting as it may be, please do not run your fresh burn straight to a source of water. The best course of action is to keep the slurry from a old jar of pickles handy whenever you are casting, or think there is a chance you can be burned. Keep it in the fridge so it is nice and cold, and explain to the wife so she doesn’t assume you are just being lazy and neglecting to throw it away! Haha.

Now I don’t know how well this would work when skin is removed. But for superficial burns on your arms, hands and the like. A good old jar of cold pickle juice is just what the doc ordered. Submerge the area in a little dish, or soak a cotton ball and apply it to the area for at least a minute or two. Using this method, I have avoided my fair share of painful hand blisters and most of the time with some luck, they will not even leave a scar.

-VOLKSRVA.

Thanks for the professional tip.

My wife keeps pickle juice in the refrigerator for leg cramps, so there's always some available in our house.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    My wife keeps pickle juice in the refrigerator for leg cramps,
    In the deep South,
    About the only thing that can't be remedied, or cured with pickle juice is a broken heart or brain cancer.
    And I think there is still some discussion going on about the brain cancer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thank you for the tip.

Boolit Master

Same. When inwas a cook we would put a pickle or vinegar on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    Any salt brine or saline solution will work equally well.

Boolit Master
    I've always used the juice from an aloe cactus.

Vendor Sponsor

Being a pipewelder by trade I keep a couple tubes of Burn Gel around, you get this stuff at CVS or Target or Wallyworld, I keep one at home, one in my gangbox, etc. Works wonders.

Another trick that works REALLY REALLY GOOD is brake fluid! Don't ask me how, but applied to a burn between 2 and 5 minutes afterward takes the sting out of it within a minute, it heals MUCH quicker, rarely will there be a scar. I don't know about DOT5, but the others work great. I have even opened the brake fluid reservoir under the hood of a truck to get some.

If you have a Harley Davidson that you do any custom work on, it is inevitable you will get burned from the pipes at some point. Yep, there is a brake fluid reservoir right there on the bike. Go for it!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Cool the burn with cool running water for about 5 minutes. Do not apply ice. This can damage the skin further. You can put a wet compress on it. Dont break the blisters. If they do break put antibiotic ointment on them after cleaning the area. Once the burn is completely cooled you can put aloe vera lotion on it.
    I was a fulltime firefighter on a city fire department for 26 years. Believe me this is how minor burns are supposed to be treated. This is treatment for minor first degree burns.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    In the deep South,
    About the only thing that can't be remedied, or cured with pickle juice is a broken heart or brain cancer.
    And I think there is still some discussion going on about the brain cancer.
    Thanks for the laugh WINGER ED, I needed that today! I almost spit out my coffee! Surprised that others unlike us southerners haven’t heard of using it. Nothing goes to waste in this household!

Boolit Mold
    I do like the generic burn gel, and aloe. And have tried them both many times as well. Problem is that the small tubes of burn gel never seems to want to be found when I need it, and the cat keeps tearing up my aloe plant. Don’t think she eats it, just dumps it on the floor to smack around, along with the pot of dirt. Think she just enjoys watching me clean up the mess. Plus pickle juice is free!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

Another trick that works REALLY REALLY GOOD is brake fluid! Don't ask me how, but applied to a burn between 2 and 5 minutes afterward takes the sting out of it within a minute, it heals MUCH quicker, rarely will there be a scar. I don't know about DOT5, but the others work great. I have even opened the brake fluid reservoir under the hood of a truck to get some.
    I am surprised by the idea of using brake fluid! Isn’t there some nasty stuff in there that will even eat away at the paint/ clear on a vehicle? At least that is what I’ve always heard. I am currently working on a bare frame of a old VW beetle and I don’t even have brake lines set! And don’t own a HD, they are a little heavy for my type of riding, but I do have a Kawasaki ninja. And I have received my fair share of burns from it too, so I understand where you are coming from there. Haha. Thankfully my job doesn’t entail welding, but I can do a little bit when necessary.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Cool the burn with cool running water for about 5 minutes. Do not apply ice. This can damage the skin further. You can put a wet compress on it. Dont break the blisters. If they do break put antibiotic ointment on them after cleaning the area. Once the burn is completely cooled you can put aloe vera lotion on it.
    I was a fulltime firefighter on a city fire department for 26 years. Believe me this is how minor burns are supposed to be treated. This is treatment for minor first degree burns.
    Thank you for your service. Folks like you deserve as much respect and praise as police officers and ems tech, but frequently, you all seem to often get left out. I know that had to be a demanding and extremely difficult occupation, both physically and emotionally.

Boolit Master

I worked in the oilfields in my early 20s. One old welder always kept a raw potato in his lunch box, a fresh slice would be placed on the burn.

Flash forward a few years, I watched a program where in India, a burn unit could not do skin grafts, so they made a poultice of shredded potato skins and applied to serious burns. Grafted skin doesn't stay forever, it does protect the lower dermis layers. SO did the potato skin poultice. Every few days, they would rinse off the old, replace with new for 10 or so days. A doctor said something about the moisture and nutrients within a raw potato aided in skin recovery. Interesting program.

Flash further forward, my 4 year old grand son scalded his wrist with incinerator hot coffee from a large coffee pot so common at church receptions following funerals. He was in immediate and inconsolable pain. By the time we made it to my daughter's house he had a blister around 2" in diameter. I told my daughter to cut a slice from a fresh potato and I placed it on his burn. Instant relief, instant cessation of tears. My daughter grabbed an old but clean sock, cut the elastic top off, and it held the slice in place.

4 hours later, he had an angry red spot, but no blister, no it did not pop. The following morning, new slice, 4 hours later another. Red spot was not so angry looking. 3rd day, no potato slice needed. The skin never sloughed off the tissue from the blister, it seemed to have re attached rather than falling away like so many blisters seem to do.

I always have raw potatoes around, I rarely get burns, when I do I know from experience what works for me, and what worked for my grandson. I still weld, I still cast, burns happen, potatoes are always close at hand. My last burn was from a soldering iron, 3 feet away from the potato sack . . . you know what happened shortly thereafter.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!