Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning round nose into plat point?

Boolit Bub

Turning round nose into plat point?

I was goofing off with my little arbor press and made some flat points out of round points. I'm going to test to see how they shoot eventually, but thought I would ask if anyone has tried things like this and how did it fare?

These are NOE HTC358-133-RN-BO5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210126_172629769.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	276151

I own an older NOE 358-135 rf mold that produces boolits much like the one you flattened. They perform great. Good feed and function. Great accuracy.
    I can even make them up as a hollow point if I wish albeit in a slightly lighter weight.

Boolit Master
    You might find that as you flatten the nose, you also cause it to expand. More likely on rifle bullets, but could probably happen on handgun bullets as well.

Boolit Master

well, I could be all wrong but I think you have deformed a bullet.
    Rick

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have several vintage file-trim dies which cut off .32 S&W Long, .38 S&W or .38 Special old school LRN factory loads to produce flat nosed carry loads. I use heavy duty bandage shears to make the initial cut, then true up with a file. The .38 Special 158 LRN loads end up at 147 grains with a 1/4" meplat and shoot to the same point of impact as wadcutters, but at higher velocity and are speedloader friendly. Not a bad load load.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I flattened some 311410 mould boolits using a belt sander so I wouldn't deform them. Put just enough blunt on them to achieve what needs to be done in a tube gun. Used a finer grit paper.

Boolit Master
    Put em back through the sizer, to make sure the whole thing didn't expand a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    well, I could be all wrong but I think you have deformed a bullet.
    Rick
    Yep. Take it one step farther with a die, and you can call it swaging.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Put em back through the sizer, to make sure the whole thing didn't expand a bit.

I did and they slipped right through the sizer

Boolit Master
    So maybe only the nose/ogive was deformed, and if you're lucky they'll have deformed fairly consistently (since you used a press and didn't just hit em with a hammer or something). As long as they don't give you feeding problems, I'd shoot em and see how they work.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    So maybe only the nose/ogive was deformed, and if you're lucky they'll have deformed fairly consistently (since you used a press and didn't just hit em with a hammer or something). As long as they don't give you feeding problems, I'd shoot em and see how they work.

And the worst that'll happen is they don't shoot well and I never do it again lol

Boolit Grand Master
    Frank Marshall wrote an article years ago where he did this to a 311284 for use in a .30-30 Savage 340. IIRC he also used 4350 powder.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have been doing this for years. I retrofitted my old Lyman #45 sizer luber to have a positive stop and every one of what ever boolit I want to make a flat nose on comes out exactly the same length. It is adjustable so I can set it for each bullet length I want to flatten. This process is done at the same time that I size and lube them.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 01-26-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use a Swag-o-matic to reform boolit noses to what ever I want and can make a point form die for.

I have some 40 cal boolits that I make gas checks for. The checks are too big to just stay on without resizing, so I tend to powder coat these and then pass them base first through the sizer.

It already has a flat nose, but it does make it ever so slightly flatter.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I have been doing this for years. I retrofitted my old Lyman #45 sizer luber to have a positive stop and every one of what ever boolit I want to make a flat nose on comes out exactly the same length. It is adjustable so I can set it for each bullet length I want to flatten. This process is done at the same time that I size and lube them.
    I have the arbor press set so the handle will stop at the same spot to hopefully be consistent with every nose flatten. I don't think I want all of my rounds to be like that, though I was curious if the larger flat spot would create a meplat of sorts for defensive rounds.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The good news is that all a meplat is, is a flat spot at the nose end of a boolit

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    The good news is that all a meplat is, is a flat spot at the nose end of a boolit
    Haha! Very true. But does it make a difference for 9mm like this? Assuming they fly the same as the as cast round.

Boolit Master
    You might notice a very little more drop and wind drift out past 70-100 yards, if you shoot your 9mm beyond 75 yards. Maybe an extra 1" of wind drift at 100 yards(10 mph full value crosswind), another half inch of drop, if your 9mm is accurate enough to notice at 100 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    If I’m shooting my 9mm pistols at 100yds I don’t think I could put the blame on them or the bullets for any wide groups... haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast