WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Grafs blackpowder

Boolit Mold

Grafs blackpowder

I was powder shopping the other night and seen that Grafs is selling a German made powder under their name. Anyone here tried it? I always used Goex in my front stuffers and was pleased but the price is a little cheaper on this powder. Not trying to be a tight wad just get more bang for the buck.

Boolit Buddy
    I' ve never tried it , but have been told that it is Shutzen,suposed to be good but not as good as Swiss,I have been thinking about ordering some for my M L < I dont want to use up any of the lot of Swiss F 1/2 that I use in my 45-70 & 45- 90
    for the ML & cant buy any thing other than pyrodex localy, Im thinking a pound of#f & 4# of 2 if the ship in 5# increments.

Boolit Master

I've used the Graf's/Schuetzen for the last year or so. Seems to leave a little less residue than GOEX. I use it mostly for cowboy shooting so powder is not so critical to me as to some.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I've shot several lbs of it. It's good powder, but I haven't got the accuracy from it I get from Goex, and really can't say it's any cleaner burning.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I used over 40lbs of it so far this year in my muzzleloaders...I can't tell a difference for Goex........

That being said, I think Goex is our last American Black Powder Manufacture....If they close down we would only be 1 small import ban from being without black powder here in America so I think it is VERY important to support them if you can afford to.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I'm friends with the Goex distributor in my area. He's the CITY JUDGE in Marksville, La. He is a Civil War reinactor and thats how he got into the BP thing. When You own a cannon you need a good supply line. Any way as F475 stated Goex is an American Co. and I might add a co. that's located in my state of Louisiana. I will continue to support Goex for that reason. Now with that said, Grafs powder is made by Wano in Germany and imported by Schuetzen Powder. They now use the same charcoal that is used by Swiss in the powder made by them. I had a chance to buy some Grafs for $3 a pound and jumped on it. Was only a few but at that price. If you look at the Black Powder Cartridge forum you will see that Goex Cartridge holds up pretty well against the Swiss that sells for $7 more a pound. I think that a little extra residue with Goex is worth supporting a TRUE AMERICAN COMPANY.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I chronographed Graf's against GOEX in a muzzleloaderand found no significant difference. While GOEX was slightly faster, it was no more so than case lot differences.

Northmn

Very interesting post indeed..I was thinking of ordering some of that stuff, but now after reading your post,I think I will stick with my Goex powder....You answered my questions before hand....Thanks-John

Boolit Mold
    Well, after reading the posts since I opened this thread I believe I'll stay with Goex. There seems to no advantage over Goex and with things the way they are today I believe we all need to support the company's here at home as much as we can. Thanks all!

Boolit Mold
    Cajun Shooter. Since you are friends with the owner, have ever shot Jack's Battle Powder? I was wondering how it compares to Goex? I have asked this question on several other forums and did not get any answers. At $255.00 for 25 lbs delivered to your door I find the price to be good. Thank you.
    Last edited by Gaucho Gringo; 12-23-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sure wish I could get it deliverd to my door for that. I cant get it deliverd for any price.

Black Powder 100%

Yes I Have shot Jack's, in fact I have a couple of cans at this time. It is a reinactment powder that in it's make up is close to 3F. It probably has fines in it also but I've never screened it. It's a proprietary thing and as such I don't think alot of people know about it being that Angelo is only involved in reinactment. He does not travel nor promote it. It's named after his great uncle. I tried it in 38spl cases that were shot in a marlin. I shoot 45 in CAS and use 2F for that. John Boy on open range could probably tell us as he has all the screens, but he's in NJ. I myself think after shooting it that for close up and small caliber it's fine. It is made by Goex but does not go through the same process as the better shooting powders.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Sure wish I could get it deliverd to my door for that. I cant get it deliverd for any price.
    Why not Dan? UPS not operate sleds up there?

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BP has to be hauled up the highway system only... It's not allowed on any air freight or by barge from what I've heard. I've been told that the Canadians don't like much of it brought thru their country on a truck.
    But I did manage to lay my hands on 3# of Goex last week..

Boolit Master

I used GOEX for years. The only reason I bought some Graf's was all 3 distributors I used at the time were out of Goex. I was told they had had another explosion and so were behind in their orders. I plan on going back, for cowboy it doesn't make enough difference, especially using Big Lube(tm) bullets, and I DO prefer buying American. It's bad enough most of my cowboy guns are Italian and all my appliances are Chinese. And my motorcycle is German. At least both my cars are American. And ALL my reloading/casting gear is American. And all my auto repair tools are American(Snap-on).

Boolit Master
    UPS only does ground with hazmat and there is no ups ground to Alaska.
    As of this year we can get ground rates but no hazmat.
    Until this year we had to pay air freight for everything. Even though they promis second day delivery for air freight that does not apply to AK even though we have been paying for it all along. The ground raits are a consession for us but still will not include hazmat.
    BIC/BS

Black Powder 100%

I was looking at different places that sell BP and in the smaller print is a statement that says "NO SHIPMENTS OF BLACK POWDER TO ALASKA, CANADA OR HAWAII. Sorry Dan, thats a bummer. A state that supplies a huge chunk of oil and it's people can't buy the real powder. You need to talk to PALIN about that.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    You need to talk to PALIN about that.
    Invite the Palins on a 'black powder only' moose hunt...
    They will find a way to establish a shipping method.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

The problem is the feds control the shipping methods... Both US and Canadian... Not Sara.