MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the WIN 209 primers fit into any new hulls?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I will verify that the primer holes in the Rio Hulls are larger and don't grip regular 209 primers very well. Pretty sure the BPI Primer Pocket conditioner will fix that, as I have used a 1/2" ball bearing to close the holes in the Rio Hulls successfully.

You basically take a piece of 1/2" dowel and stand it up on your bench with the hull threaded onto it. Place the ball on the primer hole and smack it with a hammer. It doesn't take much to close the hole down a few .000.

Randy
    I love this site! Thanks Randy!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

If one needed to, how about a small ball peen hammer for the pocket and some gentle whacks with a wood, rawhide, or plastic mallet?

My ultimate goal, was skipping the extra step of modifying a component to 'fit' another component.
    I may be in the minority here, as it seems like a fairly prevalent practice, but I never cared for the inaccuracy of "just hit it with a hammer" as a solution.
    And please take that in jest, but serious at the same time.

Boolit Grand Master

There is another way to resize the primer pockets. You can use either a MEC super sizer, or the collet on the MEC sizemaster press, and set it super tight. You end up sizing the shell down more than needed, but you can also close up the primer pocket in the process. I came up with this idea when I had thousands of RIO shells, but RIO primers were not something you could buy without jumping through hoops. Not even Fiocchi primers fit a Rio hull.

In the end I found a source of Federal hulls that take regular 209 primers, and burned all my European shells in the burn barrel.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Bob,

This will help: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...7ef7c1b79d65d4

I personally was disappointed in the Ballistics Products primer pocket swaging tool.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I've got the BPI primer pocket swaging tool. It does what it is designed to do. I put the shell on the plate, and run the rod through the top. One good wack, and a Fiocchi shell will accept an American 209. Given a choice, I would never use it. New American 16 gauge shells do not exist for sale, so I load Fiocchi's in 16 ga for target ammo. I save the once fired Federals for the good ammo, as I can only get more by shooting factory ammo.

Great information, thank you fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    There is another way to resize the primer pockets. You can use either a MEC super sizer, or the collet on the MEC sizemaster press, and set it super tight. You end up sizing the shell down more than needed, but you can also close up the primer pocket in the process. I came up with this idea when I had thousands of RIO shells, but RIO primers were not something you could buy without jumping through hoops. Not even Fiocchi primers fit a Rio hull.

In the end I found a source of Federal hulls that take regular 209 primers, and burned all my European shells in the burn barrel.
    I'm in that process today. I'm looking for some cardboard wads to make some Federal and WW hulls work for 1 - 1/4 oz 12 gauge loads.

Most places are OOS, and I need the room on my bench to modify some ski's for my ice shanty.

BucketBack is a term for the condition one arrives at after sitting on a bucket all day pulling perch.

I've sorted everything, and the blue hulls are leaving shortly

Moderator Emeritus

As suggested, try going to trap ranges and see if you can go through their garbage. When my son and I were trap shooting when I first started reloading I would bring home garbage bags filled with hulls. Always nice to see the green and red. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    My ultimate goal, was skipping the extra step of modifying a component to 'fit' another component.
    I may be in the minority here, as it seems like a fairly prevalent practice, but I never cared for the inaccuracy of "just hit it with a hammer" as a solution.
    And please take that in jest, but serious at the same time.

It all depends on who's doing the "Hitting" and with what hammer?

I,,, due to my vast experience with "Percussion Maintenance",,, am very good with said Hammer, which is a 4 oz Ball Peen Hammer that has been on my bench for decades. Thus with decades of experience "tuning" this and that, I have achieved a state of mind that could be described as "Impact Nirvana."

Others may or may not achieve such a high level of beingness, and many have it and don't know they do, and others never will know either way.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

haha Yes, that does make sense. You get into a groove and magic happens.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    “ just give a tap, a tiny little tap pity-tap-pity at tap” hahaha,,
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12