Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the WIN 209 primers fit into any new hulls?

Will the WIN 209 primers fit into any new hulls?

Hey all, frustrated noob here. I've been in and out of reloading 12 gauge for a couple years now. After a long 'break', I'd like to get back into it. One of my biggest frustrations was the chase of which hull do I currently have access to, and finding a new recipe for it. I've been casting the LEE slugs and stocking up on primers, so those two "ingredients" need to be a constant for moving forward since I have so much That being said, are there any new hulls that will accept the Win 209? I'd rather not reshape the hull to accept the primer if at all possible, and obviously something that's friendly with the 7/8 and 1.0 LEE slugs.
    Thanks all!
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

My understanding is that at least some European made hulls have very slightly larger primer pockets than standard 209. Having said that, I purchased Fiocchi hulls and used Winchester 209 primers with no problems.

BPI has a hull conditioning punch available that will swage the primer pocket down a bit:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Un...tinfo/0740010/

More important is using an appropriate recipe for the hulls you have or can get but you seem to be aware of that. I was convinced to buy straight walled hulls for slug loads but as it turns out after buying those Fiocchi hulls several years ago I found that there are lots of slug recipes for Win AA hulls.

I wound up buying several reloading manuals and copying/downloading about everything I could find for slug load data because of the proliferation of different hulls, powders, primers and wads. I live in a reloading supply dessert so have to order in and even then there is limited access often so I have to make do and having lots of references is the way I get by.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, any American hull will fit the Winchester 209. Federal hulls are what you want for straight wall hulls that you can buy new.

Excellent, thank you both. Yea, the proliferation of 'ingredients' is definitely making things more difficult. I'd almost be there, but seemed like there was always one or two items blocking progress.
    Since I typed that, I see hulls in any fashion are out of stock, so my question might be irrelevant at this point. I might as well be trying to find small pistol primers while I'm at it. haha!!
    MSM, thank you for the specifics!

Boolit Grand Master

Calls Bucks Run Sports. (507) 356-2195

Thank you!

Boolit Grand Master

You might check local rap ranges for once fired hulls.

I plan on picking up some Cheddite hull locally. Apparently the trap range throws out bucket loads of Cheddite hulls.

Longbow

Thank you. Aren't those the ones that require the extra step to make the right size for Win 209?

Boolit Master

IIRC, it's the Rio hulls that have a different size primer.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Thank you, I do think that's the case. They have to be swaged [sp?] to fit the smaller Win209.

Boolit Master
    If you post a thread looking for hulls you could probably find quiet a few . Shipping a medium flat rate box would probably be the biggest expense .
    Do a search for once fired hulls , preferably Remington or Winchester .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Neither Fiocchi, or Cheddite hulls will take an American 209 primer without resizing the pocket. Rio is just the worst of them.

Both Winchester and Remington hulls are tapered, at least the common target shells are. Slugs can fit very tight in Remington hulls, and I do not recommend them. Winchester AA's work reasonably well with most slugs.

Excellent, thank you!

Boolit Master
    If you need a straight walled hull for slug loads try Federal . There is a lot of variables in hulls besides straight or tapered walls & then you run into wads , and component stacking .
    I have ran across hulls that are of the 2 piece construction actually stop the wad from completely setting on the powder with light charge of powder this is a very bad thing pressure wise .
    Studying hulls is a hobby in its self & they keep changing .
    Be safe .

Thank you very much!

Boolit Buddy
    The Federal promo Top Gun hulls were once contract produced by Maxam (RIO) and all used the euro sized primer. That contract has ceased, and the new Top Guns are all now produced with U.S. sized primers. I've got pallets of the older silver based Top Gun hulls with the wound paper base wad, and would be happy to ship you a box of a thousand (about a medium Lowes packing box) for the UPS shipping only (about $25 I think). Also have Remington Gun Clubs, and despite being tapered hulls, you can still load slugs in them, it's only tapered at the base, below the wad. Everything above the cushion part of a wad is the same, straight wall or tapered.

I believe I'd like to take you up on your offer, thank you very much. Are they once fired crimped, I assume?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    I believe I'd like to take you up on your offer, thank you very much. Are they once fired crimped, I assume?
    That they would be. Send me a PM with all your info. We will get things going.

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I will verify that the primer holes in the Rio Hulls are larger and don't grip regular 209 primers very well. Pretty sure the BPI Primer Pocket conditioner will fix that, as I have used a 1/2" ball bearing to close the holes in the Rio Hulls successfully.

You basically take a piece of 1/2" dowel and stand it up on your bench with the hull threaded onto it. Place the ball on the primer hole and smack it with a hammer. It doesn't take much to close the hole down a few .000.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I just put Rio or Fio primers in. That's too much work for me. And I hit my fingers too many times too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast