Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Press - Tilt

Press - Tilt

I'm wondering if anyone is bothered by the (as I call it) "press tilt" in some of the older units.

Let me explain: I have a C-H 204 and it's a great press, really stout and well made but as it mounts is puts the ram in around a 7 - 10 degree tilt to the rear and I'm wondering if this makes problems for anyone?

Does this induce bullet tilt when you go to seat a rifle bullet? Or how about if you use the Lee push through sizer will this make an issue?

Just wondering; enlighten me boolit masters
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master

My single stage is the Pacific Multi-power. Purchased new in 1981, it's an O-frame with the tilt you describe. I believe my model of press was introduced in the early 70's and as I understand it, quite a few presses from that era included the tilt. Ostensibly, it was intended to improve access/ease handling of the brass and if true, I don't see that benefit. Someone here mentioned in a thread once that it was more of a "fad" back then and I'd tend to agree. I think Pacific/Hornady even made a angled block to be mounted under the press to make it vertical. Anyway, to answer your other questions.....I've used my tilted press for 40 years this year and have found no detriment with that feature at all (but as stated, no real benefit either). No bullet seat issues, push through sizer, or any other alignment problems. Oh wait I thought of one ..... when the RCBS piggy back came out I really wanted one but looking at my press, it would have been too funky.
    Semper Fi

Good to know Gunny, thanks. I'm of the same opinion
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Banned
    The only real issue I have encountered is the need to guide the case in to the die when seating bullets. The rear tilt allows it to tip back just enough to catch on the edge of the die. It's not a big deal and a nice rhythm is easy to learn.

A small amount of tilt is a good thing. Lee breach lock, when using this press cases slide around in the case holder, sometimes crushing the case.

I use a spartan and I made a wooden wedge to make it vertical, but went back to the angle. For loading I don't have any issues. You do have to hold the case to guide it sometimes, but not for everything. I use lee pay through dies and don't have a problem. I put the bullet on the ram so it's hanging off the front slightly, from the time I release it and it gets to the die, it has slid and is centered. I got a rhythm for it and it's very quick. I find the angle speeds operations like sizing pistol brass or belling, because gravity helps get the case in the shell holder.

Boolit Master
    the tilt was made so the primer tube would be vertical. primers dont like to slide at angle . yours may not have the tube assy but they made the presses for them.

Boolit Buddy
    All the Herters presses I have encountered have this tilt with the exception of their Model 72 shotshell press. I had problems with longer cases tipping back and catching the edge of a die in my model 234 turret press, so I made an angled block out of 2x6 and bolted it through that to the bench to level it. Now I have a new horizontal surface I can stack stuff on.