MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision PBcastco

Thread: Looking for .434 bullet mold @ 200 grain

Looking for .434 bullet mold @ 200 grain

Have a 4 digit 1873 Winchester and the bore slugs out to .433. Does anyone make a .434 bullet mold with a flat or round tip? 200-205 grain.

Thanks, Jim
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

Boolit Grand Master
    Check out Arsenal moulds, I think they might

edit---they have a 180 and a 210, you can specify a larger diameter
    Last edited by rockrat; 01-28-2021 at 11:36 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has several.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    MP Molds has 434 molds.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I assume you are wanting to reload a 44-40 (44 WCF ) cartridge , based on what info you gave us ? The 44-40 case is meant for a cast bullet sized .427 , ideally speaking . The larger the bullet in diameter , the harder it gets to push it into the case without crumpling the case or getting a bulge in one side of the case . The 44-40 case has thin walls , about 1/2 the thickness of a 44 special / magnum case . I know that some use a cast bullet sized .429 with success . I don't know how successfully you will be inserting such an oversize bullet in the 44-40 case , if that is indeed the cartridge you are talking about . You might have to resort to a " heeled " bullet . Accurate molds have such designs available . I have reloaded the 44-40 but my Marlin 1894 uses a cast bullet sized .427 successfully . I'm sure someone else will offer up some other ideas / options . Will you be using black powder or smokeless ? It makes a difference concerning alloy hardness . Regards Paul

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe a larger Expander/Flaring Die? to size the case mouth to accommodate the larger boolit?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

What Randy said!

I haven't had a lot of trouble loading for my 1894 Marlin with 0.4315" groove diameter using boolits of up to 0.435" but, my carbide die does size the case neck much undersize for that size boolit and it does cause some lead squish when boolits are seated. Also, sizing the brass down to suit 0.429"/0.430" boolits and seating 0.434" boolits works the brass a lot too shortening case life.

I did have trouble with .303 British brass actually resizing cast boolits since I need boolits of 0.315"/0.316" and standard dies size to 0.310"/0.311". For that I went to a Lee collet sizer with a homemade 0.313" mandrel for its the brass wasn't worked so much and so boolits weren't being sized smaller at seating.

Of course regular annealing helps there too!

And what outpost75 said about Accurate Molds... Tom will make a mould to cast exactly what you want. If it isn't in his catalogue he will make it then add it to the catalogue.

FWIW

Longbow