Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Ohaus Molds and a 310 Question

Boolit Man

Ohaus Molds and a 310 Question

I have recently gotten into the habit of picking up Ohaus molds and managed to find a 30-170-F that I can best explain as being real close to a #311041. It drops a nice .310 bullet, that checked and lubed out of wheel weights sits around 178gr. My first question being, can anybody tell me more about this mold (side tangent: or the 358-158 GC SWC I have yet to cast)? Particular places to look for data, that sort of thing. Just my OCD talking there since I'll more than likely just work with the 30-170 like the 041 in .30-30.

That all said, I'm looking to load the bullet in a 310 tool and I see the 241 seating screw is recommended for .30-30. I've been told the screw numbers should match up to Lyman mold numbers. I also happen to have a 467 screw on the way for my Krag. How critical are those screw dimensions when dealing with cast 30 cal? Is there a good bit of interchangeability or should give the 310 store a shout now for my sanity?

Boolit Grand Master
    If it were me, I would use data for the Lyman 311041 and work loads up carefully. RCBS did put out a cast bullet loading manual about 1980, kind of hard to find though.

310 seating stems? I would guess if the 241 stem is for a FP it should work okay. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I about things 310 sees this.

I will say that the 310 tool is one of the sloooowest ways to produce quality ammo there is.

Robert

My 31141 weighs 180 grains dressed from ww+sn and lubed 50/50. For 30-30 I use 28 grains 3031 or 32 grains w748. The Lyman manual lists 27 grains 3031 as max, but the RCBS manual lists 28 for 30-180-FN. I worked up to the 28 and it's my current go to load. I seat in the crimp groove and trim to 2.028.

Easiest place to find RCBS data, sans the book, is the loadbooks USA manuals for your caliber. There was an RCBS book on ebay reasonable a few days ago, still one on there for like 80.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ButchC View Post
    I have recently gotten into the habit of picking up Ohaus molds and managed to find a 30-170-F that I can best explain as being real close to a #311041. It drops a nice .310 bullet, that checked and lubed out of wheel weights sits around 178gr. My first question being, can anybody tell me more about this mold (side tangent: or the 358-158 GC SWC I have yet to cast)? Particular places to look for data, that sort of thing. Just my OCD talking there since I'll more than likely just work with the 30-170 like the 041 in .30-30.

That all said, I'm looking to load the bullet in a 310 tool and I see the 241 seating screw is recommended for .30-30. I've been told the screw numbers should match up to Lyman mold numbers. I also happen to have a 467 screw on the way for my Krag. How critical are those screw dimensions when dealing with cast 30 cal? Is there a good bit of interchangeability or should give the 310 store a shout now for my sanity?
    PM Green Frog, he's very knowlegdable about the 310 tools and such.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    3rd edition of Lyman cast bullet manual has loads for that 170 grainer for 30/30, .308, and 3006.
    You can download that manual online just by entering the name.
    Let the whole thing download and record the data. Lots of great reading info about cast bullets and coefficients and a set of tables in the back that have the velocities, bullet drop and fpe in addition to the midrange trajectories for finding bullet drop and zero.

Boolit Man

Thanks all, I had forgotten about the load data books which is ironic given I have the shotgun collection. To clarify, I load most of my .30-30 with standard dies and a bench mounted press, I'm just dabbling in the hand tool side and also curious to neck size a couple known loads with the Lee 309-150...

Anyone leaning one way or another on the IMR4227 or 2400 match up for the .30-30? Also curious about a IMR4064 load I had seen mentioned, attributed to Ed Harris I think. While I have 3031 on hand, I don't use it for any other caliber. I'll have to roll a few and see if switching the 8x57 and .30-40 over works. I'm still trying to get over the loss of SR4759 and keep the powder canisters from pilling up.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 241 seating stem is for the 311-241 and also would work for the 311-291 and other similar round nose boolits. It may work for your 311-041 wannabe, but the #8 is likely to be the better choice.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Ohaus was bought out by RCBS. I have a double cavity 310-170-F . I believe your rifle will tell you what it likes. any Data used with the 311041 will be good for your Ohaus as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

For the 31141 I use a 402 top punch in my 450. The 8 punch is sloppy and sizes them askew.