RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sponge pieces to break fall into water bucket?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have been water dropping boolits into a 2/3s full 5gal bucket of water for about 40 years without any dings. That's everything from 38gr 22 cal to 400gr 45 cal. Water won't ding them and it slows them enough they won't ding when hitting other boolits in the bottom of the bucket. I have never had it splash enough water to make any problem for me.
    That's what most people tell me. Yet every bullet I've tried from 30 caliber rifle bullets, to 44 caliber handgun, to 73 caliber shotgun slugs, it never worked for me. The water does not slow them enough, and when they hit a certain way, they ding. I never could get flat top punches to work on lubrisizers either despite many hours of trial and error, so it could just be me. I can only assume that people asking about finding ways to break the fall into a water bucket also have the same issues I do.

Boolit Grand Master

I have apparently opened the mold too soon with some long boolits, water dropped them, and ended up with several resembling bananas. So, yes, you can damage boolits by water dropping if you are not careful.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Wayne, was that post sizing? I see some curving when sizing long bullets in a Lyman or RCBS sizer.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

That's the way I do mine and it works good. Old towel is best. Hot bullet hits the wet sides, quenches, rolls down and goes through hole in bottom. Cool by the time it hits bottom. Change water occasionally as it heats up after awhile./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    I read somewhere about using a towel or t-shirt with a hole in the middle pushed down into a funnel shape to catch the bullets and ease their transition into the water and minimize splashing.

Just haven't gotten around to trying it yet
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've never had a problem dropping directly to the water.
    I agree with this. In 50 years of casting I've never had a damaged boolit from dropping straight in to water. I usually fill my 5 gallon bucket to about 5" from full. If you are worried about splashing water on the mold I can guarantee you by the time you have the mold back under the pot the water will have evaporated.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will not get damaged boolits from falling into water!

I use a 9x12 standard aluminum baking pan almost full of water with an old folded terrycloth hand towel in there. Never have had a damaged drop over MANY thousands! Just pick up the towel when full, dump, and put back in. Easiest system I have found yet. No holes, no runs, no drips, no errors!

Save your sponges for bath time. A real mess to clean up and store....and sort out boolits on the bottom.

I only water drop to cool them, not to gain any voo-doo hardness. I PC all my rounds and baking at 400F for 10-15 minutes kills most any Sb hardness you gain. It has been proven by many on here all you need is 10-12 hardness + PC these days for most rounds, even rifle.

banger

Boolit Master
    I don't mollycoddle my boolits, straight into cold water they go. They are going to get kicked in the butt really hard, don't want em getting soft ideas.

Small splashes on the mold don't hurt or even cool the mold much. I used to worry.

I get some minerals showing on the boolits using my 200 ppm hard water, like a faint whitewash. I sometimes drain my Reverse Osmosis tank for the drop water and there is a noticeable difference. Heat seems to precipitate Calcium Carbonate so I guess it makes sense. Don't need to mix soda in the water here to dissolve battery crud though.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Man
    +2 That's been my observation too!

Boolit Master
    We cant use snow here in Louisiana it against the law, besides you would probably have to go buy some anyways. I’ve always dropped in 1/2 full bucket of rain water for no minerals, and we got plenty rain water.

Boolit Buddy
    SMH...ohhh, this is so complicated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by screwcutter View Post
    I float a layer of clean snow on top of water in 5 gal bucket.
    OH, That’s COLD!

LOL!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Back when it was a new concept, there was all the comments like we are doing now,
    but one fella wanted to REALLY harden his boolits, and kept a thick layer of ice cubes on his bucket of water.

I don't know how much harder they were, but he never mentioned having any dings on his boolits.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Some get dings water quenching and some don’t. Maybe it’s the hardness of the alloy that makes the difference.

Banner Sponsor

The dings are not from falling onto the water, they are from hitting the bullets in the bottom of the bucket. They just don't cool fast enough. That's why I put a whole sponge in the mostly full bucket of water. I drop the bullets from the mold onto the sponge, they sizzle and cool slightly, then roll off the sponge into the water. This prevents dings for me. Without the sponge I get dings.
    Sometimes I do get to casting too fast, so maybe if I was to hold the bullets in the mold longer before I opened it then they wouldn't get dings while falling onto the bullets in the bottom of the bucket.

For air cooling, I drop them onto a clear spot of an old towel. When the towel is covered, I swipe them to one side and continue dropping onto the towel, not the pile of bullets.
    YMMV

Banned

I was told that if you have hard water, you will get dings in your boolits. If you have a water softener, you don't get as many dings............but your boolits won't get as hard in soft water!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I don't mollycoddle my boolits, straight into cold water they go. They are going to get kicked in the butt really hard, don't want em getting soft ideas.

Small splashes on the mold don't hurt or even cool the mold much. I used to worry.

I get some minerals showing on the boolits using my 200 ppm hard water, like a faint whitewash. I sometimes drain my Reverse Osmosis tank for the drop water and there is a noticeable difference. Heat seems to precipitate Calcium Carbonate so I guess it makes sense. Don't need to mix soda in the water here to dissolve battery crud though.
    Put some dish washing liquid in your water, and don't rinse them. It forms a protective coating.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Lol.... snow... whats that? Don't gots none of that white devil stuff in Florida either. Got plenty of brackish water.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I use a gallon sized bowl with about 4-5 inches of water to quench my boolits. The bowl sits on a stool to my left about the same height as my knees. I fill the mold, wait for the sprue to solidify, turn and open the mold into the bowl of water from right above the bowl. Little to no splash. Not enough velocity for the boolits to dent after hitting the water. Any water droplets that hit the mold are gone by the time I turn back to the pot.
    The pot is about 3-4 feet from the bowl and about 18 inches higher. In all the years I have been casting, I have never had any water splash into the pot.
    I don't do rifle boolits currently but when I did, I used the same technique. I don't recall any issues with those either.
    I can cast about 3-4 hundred boolits into the bowl before I need to drain it and replace the water. While not as precise a process as quenching into a constant temp medium, it is sufficient for my handgun boolits.

Boolit Master

I used to water drop and I used to drop on a towel , I never had dinged bullets either way , I would use a large enough towel with plenty of padding and drop in different spots and then push them to side every once in awhile , when water dropping it was a 5 gallon bucket and never saw any dents then or years later when I loaded them .

Now I drop on a very soft layer of padding with a towel on top so they roll down a ramp for 3 feet into a catch basin , empty basin when done and switch molds .

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to cut the sponges into 1 inch pieces ... just leave them full size , plain kitchen foam sponge 3"x5" x 1" thick, cover the surface of the bucket with one layer of sponges , when dropped the boolits lands on the water soaked sponge and slowly rolls off cooling as it rolls and drops to the bottom .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast