Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 molds

45-70 molds

I need some recommendations for a 45-70 mold. I have light Henry single shot so I’m goin to stick to trapdoor pressures. My bore slugged out at .458 I was thinking about a 405 grn. bullet but could be convinced otherwise. I have 5744 and 3031 powders on hand. I need something that’ll drop a .459 - .460
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Moderator Emeritus

I recently bought a NOE 460-393-RN (clone of Lyman 457483) for my single shot.
    I have a Lee 457-340 FN, but it drops a wee bit small for my gun...but I plan to try them anyway.
    I plan to use IMR4198, but also have 3031 in the plans if my gun doesn't like the 4198.

As you can see, all I have is plans, so no actual experience to share, yet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

My two favorite 45/70 bullets are the discontinued LEE 350 RD and the Lyman 457122 Gould Express HP.

Both have been devestating hunting and accurat bullets for me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I’d really like to find the Lee 459- 405HB
    Josey Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    Yea but who knows when you’d get it
    Josey Wales

I shoot a 405 RCBS in my Marlin. At more than BP or trapdoor speeds, it kicks like a Missouri mule.
    I would rather have gotten a 350.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I think I may have a Lee 405HB somewhere, I'll take a look this afternoon and PM if I find it.

Bill

PM sent
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 01-25-2021 at 05:19 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Yea but who knows when you’d get it
    That is true, it is a bit of a time gamble but I have been back ordering a few things lately and they have all arrived in about half the time of the latest mold I ordered from Arsenal which is about 6 weeks out.

If you want fast look at MP, they have a .460 420 grain HB 2 cavity for $83. You would have it before the weekend. The last mold I ordered from them made it from Slovenia to my door step in three days.

I have some factory PMC 405’s that’ll punish your ars.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Master
    I have six molds for 45-70.

This is the lightest one and works really well in my Marlin SBL, up to 2000 fps Hi Tek coated. Nice to cast,too.

Might be the ticket for a light rifle.

Vendor Sponsor

I’d really like to find the Lee 459- 405HB
    With all the very good bullets available I am not sure what the attraction to this bullet is. I have had one, it is the special replica to match the 1873 Springfield bullet to be used with BP. Outside of that realm it does not do anything that other bullets do even better. The "other" bullets can be more accurate in the Springfield as well.

Don't limit your choices.

PS- this isn't the buy and sell section so give me a PM if you want a lead on a LEE HB mold.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    With all the very good bullets available I am not sure what the attraction to this bullet is. I have had one, it is the special replica to match the 1873 Springfield bullet to be used with BP. Outside of that realm it does not do anything that other bullets do even better. The "other" bullets can be more accurate in the Springfield as well.

Don't limit your choices.

PS- this isn't the buy and sell section so give me a PM if you want a lead on a LEE HB mold.
    I’m open to suggestions. I’d just like to find a bullet that’ll work in my new Henry single shot. The bore slugged at .458 and trying to find a mold that’ll drop .459 - .460 and I’d like to keep it around 1200 - 1300 FPS. This rifle is light.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Lee 457 -340 mold & with powder coating it gets to 459 maybe a little better.any way it shoots well in my cva scout.

Is recoil heavier with a heavier bullet ?
    Josey Wales

Is recoil heavier with a heavier bullet ?
    Oh yeah. Unless ya really tame them down.

The lighter the gun, the more you'll feel it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh yeah. Unless ya really tame them down.

The lighter the gun, the more you'll feel it.
    I have an original roller that’s been rebarrled to 45-70 and she’s a ***** cat even with the 535 gr. Postell bullet.
    Josey Wales

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I found a Rapine 458-201 that casts .459-255 RNFP probably intended for the 1st and 2nd gen .458 SAA Colts . It's a nice light plinker that is probably plenty for most of deer hunting most guys would do .

I have the Lee 458-340 RNFP , it's an old style runs .459+ , 345 gr . It shoots as well as the rifle and I .

I have the 458193 Lyman it's the most alloy , powder ,load level flexible bullet of the bunch . it's listed at 405 but is 415 +- 2 gr for dead soft to WW . I think it's a little more consistent than the others .

I have the MP 462-420 HB/PB . It drops .460 - 417/380 . The plain base wants to be driven hard . The hollow base just didn't want talk to the 1895G but the 2-3 HB bullets I tried didn't and I blame the operator .

I have , but haven't cast the 45-500 FP it should throw .459+ based on past experience . It's the short nosed one not the spire point .

Last I have a 460-543 NOE version of the 458132 Lyman Postell bullet @535gr it shoots great but is a single feed don't close the bolt unless you're going to pull the trigger affair with the 1895G . It can be loaded deep but I chickened thinking about it moving .3 or more and the front band slamming into the throat ..... It shot very well and the Strelok app says that at 1100 fps MV it takes 1000 ftlb out to 350 yd . It of course has no length issues in a single shot and is not all that abusive at that level . When the load window hit it shot great . The down side is that it only makes about 12 bullets per lb at almost 1-1/4 oz per .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I found a Rapine 458-201 that casts .459-255 RNFP probably intended for the 1st and 2nd gen .458 SAA Colts . It's a nice light plinker that is probably plenty for most of deer hunting most guys would do .

I have the Lee 458-340 RNFP , it's an old style runs .459+ , 345 gr . It shoots as well as the rifle and I .

I have the 458193 Lyman it's the most alloy , powder ,load level flexible bullet of the bunch . it's listed at 405 but is 415 +- 2 gr for dead soft to WW . I think it's a little more consistent than the others .

I have the MP 462-420 HB/PB . It drops .460 - 417/380 . The plain base wants to be driven hard . The hollow base just didn't want talk to the 1895G but the 2-3 HB bullets I tried didn't and I blame the operator .

I have , but haven't cast the 45-500 FP it should throw .459+ based on past experience . It's the short nosed one not the spire point .

Last I have a 460-543 NOE version of the 458132 Lyman Postell bullet @535gr it shoots great but is a single feed don't close the bolt unless you're going to pull the trigger affair with the 1895G . It can be loaded deep but I chickened thinking about it moving .3 or more and the front band slamming into the throat ..... It shot very well and the Strelok app says that at 1100 fps MV it takes 1000 ftlb out to 350 yd . It of course has no length issues in a single shot and is not all that abusive at that level . When the load window hit it shot great . The down side is that it only makes about 12 bullets per lb at almost 1-1/4 oz per .
    What powder are you using with the 458193
    Josey Wales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast