Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Thoughts on an Investarms Hawken?

Boolit Master

Thoughts on an Investarms Hawken?

Have a nice condition Investarms Hawken at work.
    .50 Cal., 28" barrel, Bore looks great, Lock seems to work good, Wood is good.
    Set trigger is a bit tight, have to pull kinda hard as it hits the back of the trigger guard before it sets.
    Probably 1:48 twist I am thinking.
    How are these rifles for Reliability and Accuracy?
    Should I bring this thing home?
    Failure is not an Option

Hello hylander,

Investarms are good quality rifles imported from Italy, probably better than the Spanish imports.
    Sounds like the triggers need a little polishing & adjustment.
    The 1:48 is a combination rifling, should shoot a round ball or conical fairly well.
    I think Track of the Wolf has drop in barrels for that model.
    As far as bringing it home, you have to make that choice.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    They are nice rifles. I have a left handed one that I bought ~10 years ago from Cabela's. Mine shoots well with a .490 round ball, pillow ticking patch, and 70 grains of 3Fg. I did not like the sights it came with -- a black bead front sight and a wide V-notch rear, so I installed a Lyman front bead and rear peep sight. I also added sling swivels and a sling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabelas_Hawken.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	276055

I like it enough that I'm considering buying another one with a flintlock from Dixie Gun Works.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had on a long time. Bought it used and came with two barrels. One of my best guns. No complaints here.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

Very reliable and accurate if YOU keep it clean.

Chromed bores

Adjust trigger to take up the slack in the rear trigger. Pull the group and make sure the screws that hold down the springs ect are snug.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Thumbs up

What BP Bill said + polish all bearing surfaces including the trigger bars where they bear on the sear (Leave the tumbler notches alone!). Lube with your favorite lubricant and reassemble. Btw, I did this with a Lyman (Investarms) GPR and it made a huge difference. Lastly the trigger adjustment "screw" is not only a metric one, but too short to do much of anything. At one time Dixon's in Kempton, PA carried the correct screw for them as they were (are?) a service center for Investarms.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    File a bit from the back of the trigger to give it clearance.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have an Investarms .58 Hawken. Bought it new about 30 years ago. It's a fine rifle and has served me well. I would highly recommend one to a friend if it's what they want.
    Deplorable infidel

I have a .58 cal Investarms Hawken as well. I replaced the elevation spring in the rear sight to sitffen it up as the rear sight seemed too wobbly. I also painted the front sight a flourescent orange for better visibility in the Oregon dim winter light. I found it has a larger diameter bore than two other 58s I have. It seems well made otherwise. It doesn't have the thickness of the barrel flats that the Hawken Hunter has. 15/16 vs 1"
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input.
    Looks like I should pick this up.

I also found a brand new GPR in 54 Cal. at an LGS I might pick up as well.
    Failure is not an Option

get it before someone else does black powder guns are going for a premium right now. You would think they are AR15s good luck finding flints also if its a flint gun and caps are even worse. I have several BP rifles and pistols and love them all. They all have different personalities and all need a little tweaking that's the fun of it.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

I live in Alaska so BP guns are not real popular if you live in Kentucky might be a different story with lots of guys giving up the traditional guns for the inlines but prices have gone up.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Buddy
    I have Investarms Hawkens in all the calibers they offered. Also have a few of their other models. They are nice, well built production rifles.

Boolit Master
    Got the Investarms.
    Worked on the trigger and now it is great. Shoot fairly well, but could be better.
    Overall a very nice solid rifle.
    Two separate groups, #1, #2, both under 2" @ 50yds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210204_172628.jpg   20210131_113511.jpg  
    Failure is not an Option

Banned

Ya done real good. Of all the offshore rifles, I prefer those by Investarms - also rebranded as the OLD Lymans (the newer ones are by Pedersoli), DGW, Cabelas, and others - mostly because I can remove their breech plugs, unlike most of the other brands (Traditions, Pedersoli, etc).

Now just remember those patent breech ante-chambers will need special care for fouling and cleaning.

I owned one in .54 back in the 1980s. A really well-made and attractive rifle not far behind a TC Hawken in quality.