MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Spartan Adapter?

Spartan Adapter?

I have a wonderful old Spartan press. The shell holders are secured with a set screw. Being lazy like I am I am wondering if there is an adapter out there that will allow me to simply snap shell holders into place like with a slightly more modern press.

Banned
    Most presses of that age used a spring. It would be bent to allow the tip to go through the set screw hole and the remainder wrapped around the ram, resting in a small grove. CH4D probably has the springs, you will have to figure out how to make it work on the Spartan ram.

Boolit Master
    you can put a plastic {bead} in the hole and run the set screw tight. to crush it some . back the set screw out a bit and they should let the shell holder push in and out with hand pressure
    you need to crush the bead, so it dont fall out . a lead shot may work, but plastic would be best

Boolit Master
    I had good results using a chunk of lead a bit smaller than the screw hole for similar endeavors. If you cast bullets then various sizes of lead chunks can be found in the shop. If not, pull a 22 bullet and cut it down. A fishing weight will work the same way.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy
    I think the Spartan used the J shell holders like the Lyman AA. You can use a J to X shell holder adapter.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/j-to-x...holder-adapter

Boolit Master
    On my Spartan I left the screw loose unless I was doing a huge run I kept the shell holder opening facing the left side so inserted and removed cases from the side not the front and developed the habit of making sure the shell holder was pushed in all the way while my hand was on it at the beginning of each stoke.
    Not as nice as a spring but worked for me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    I think the Spartan used the J shell holders like the Lyman AA. You can use a J to X shell holder adapter.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/j-to-x...holder-adapter
    No, The Spartan uses the new then RCBS style shellholder. It's held in with a tiny set screw that prevents it from sliding forward. The screw must be small and short enough to fully ener it's hole otherwise it hits on the frame when the ram is down.

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman

Thanks for the correction.

Boolit Master
    I got tired of the set screw holding my Spartan snap-in shell holders. So, first, I got a standard shell holder "C" spring. Then had a shallow groove lathe cut on the ram and centered it over the old screw hole. I snapped the spring in place with the bent end going into the screw hole. My 55 year old press now has a conventional spring held shell holder.

Boolit Master
    I kind of prefer the set screw, it keeps the shell holder from rotating. That having been said my vintage Pacific and Trueline Jr., are my only presses that use set screws.

I use bird shot in the hole before placing the set screw.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!