RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: RCBS 30-180-SP for 30-30?

Boolit Master

RCBS 30-180-SP for 30-30?

I made a surprise purchase this evening of a beautiful Winchester 94AE in 30-30 Win. My neighbor was selling it for a friend. I wasn't in the market for one, but at the price of $400, I couldn't say no. It's easily in 98% condition. I just followed one on GB that sold for $1,307 + fees not 20 minutes ago.

I load for a number of .30 cal rifles. .308, 30-06, ect. All of my jacketed bullets are spitzers, which of course is a no go in a lever gun. The only .30 cal mold I have is the RCBS 30-180-SP. Will this design shoot well in this rifle?

PS - To any site operators. For the love of God do some work on the photo uploading software!

That post script made me laugh hard, thanks.

The RCBS manual (via loadbooks USA manual) lists it for 30-30. It's too pointy to be safe in a tube mag (least according to the annotation), and while I ain't loaded it I doubt it'll cycle through the action because of too long OAL. I also doubt it'll chamber because those rifles ain't got no throat.

Boolit Master

I guess I'll be waiting a while to play with this one then, considering the scarcity of most molds. Or pony up the cash and order something from Accurate. I was thinking, I wonder if I could try some light loads with 110 gr. M1 Carbine bullets? I've got a pile of those.

You can shoot the M1 bullets in 30-30. Load data for it is common.

Ill send you a message.

Boolit Buddy
    Feeding a 30-30 round from the magazine requires a length max of 2.6" or so. Might be able to single feed longer rounds, but can you eject an unfired round?

Boolit Master

16 gr. Blue Dot 110 RNSP coated projie left out of my 14" Contender at 2043 fps.

I loaded lower and slightly higher, but in the Contender it was most accurate.
    Loaded for a friend because her son was recoil shy.
    Complete penetration with a behind the shoulder shot on a smaller TN buck.
    YMMV.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

IDK what difficulty you had with pictures. Here is a site where you can store your picture, copy its DIRECT LINK (that's important) internet location, and display it here between "["img"]" and "["/img"]" tags - removing the quotation marks. POST IMAGES HERE. The two images below, displayed as I have noted between tags, are from other internet locations.

I have been pouring a lot of 2-cavity, Lyman #311-041, which I like (better bc too)

than my one cavity, Lyman #309-170,

which I am not using. PM me if you like. We can work something out.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    IDK what difficulty you had with pictures. Here is a site where you can store your picture, copy its DIRECT LINK (that's important) internet location, and display it here between "["img"]" and "["/img"]" tags - removing the quotation marks. POST IMAGES HERE. The two images below, displayed as I have noted between tags, are from other internet locations.

I have been pouring a lot of 2-cavity, Lyman #311-041, which I like (better bc too)

than my one cavity, Lyman #309-170,

which I am not using. PM me if you like. We can work something out.
    You should easily be able to upload a picture to the file manager from any device. And you can, and I have many times. At times though, the site simply won't allow you. Constant error messages.

If the file size of the pic is too big it won't upload. Several programs to resize to smaller.
    30/30 levergun mould needs to 'fit' your chamber properly to work. Also have to watch the crimp groove location, some just won't work. I delete that grove from my moulds as roll crimp is not needed in levergun. It's for pistol loads. Just use proper neck tension!
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought that mold by mistake, thought I was getting the FP version. I don't believe I have ever cast with it, it did look a bit pointy for tube mag use.

I'm not sure a lead boolit would set off a primer, but why take the chance? I do have a single shot .30-30 I may have to find the mold and see how it does.

Robert

Boolit Master

If you can load it short enough to feed through the action, load one in the mag and one in the chamber. If this is a good game round, when did you ever get more than two shots at a running deer? Try it.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've loaded and used a lot of "not for tube" magazine type bullets doing just what jaysouth describes . Never used that style to hunt with but it was a fun range toy to practice with and use up odd batches of bullets . I still had to mind the overall length of 2.550" I think it is and even using jackets spitzers it works .

Just remember one in the chamber THEN .........one for the magazine .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting a Lee 2 cavity GC 150 RF nose and it shoots great in my old Winchester 94. 9gr of Unique. One more thing, I have been shooting J word round nose bullets in that same rifle for 30 plus years. This Rifle has a 25' barrel and holds 10 rounds. A round nose "will not" set off a primer there is to much surface area on a round nose..
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 01-28-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Are the 110gr RN bullets you have cast or jacketed? If cast I have some RCBS 30-180-fn bullets I cast I would trade you for.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the day I was a member of a LE agency that had M94 30-30s in most of the patrol cars and game PUs in the eastern part of the state. The brass decided to replace them all with shotguns. They also decided to let the LEOs buy the M94s if they wanted. All of the M94s out of my office were bought with choice being by seniority of which I didn't have enough. They were allowed to get a couple boxes of ammo with the M94s but most declined the ammo since it was Winchester/Western 160 gr FMJRN. The department had been using that ammo since the '40s and had shot thousands during training w/o a mishap. The Sargent gave me 10 boxes to shoot up as HQ didn't want it back and he knew I had a M94 so he gave it to me to "dispose of"....which I gladly did. I'd already been shooting some pretty hard cast 311291s with the same nose profile so I had no qualms whatsoever shooting the 160 gr FMJRN factory ammo. Actually it was pretty accurate ammunition and numerous communist rocks were were fended off with it.

To add to the topic of the thread; as mentioned, the RCBS 180 "SP is probably too long for use in a M94 of M336. The RCBS 30-180-FN, on the other hand is used by many in either rifle. My 311041 HPs run 178 gr fully dressed which is the bullet I prefer for hunting, LeveRevolution is my preferred powder with it and out of my 24" barreled M94 AE Black Shadow it runs 2300 fps with excellent hunting accuracy. With the 2 1/2X scope it make it a 250 - 300 yards deer/antelope rifle.

Attachment 276945
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-04-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla