Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy with a Colt SAA !st Gen

New Guy with a Colt SAA !st Gen

Howdy, I have been reloading and casting over 40 years, started with a muzzleloader, moved to handguns, then rifles, shotguns too. So I have that covered.

I recently bought a Colt SAA, Black powder frame, made in 1893 per SN in 45 LC. This is my 3rd 45 LC, had a 25-5 and like an idiot traded it for a Ruger BH 45. I have been casting 45LC from a Lee 452 255 gr flat nose for years. In my other 45's I just shoot as cast and Tumble lube before loading.

This Colt, (my first SAA) is in very good shape, locks up well, bore and chambers in good clean shape.

Seems I read somewhere in a magazine about using low power loads of smokeless in black powder frame colts. Anyone have any data on loads and powder? I checked my 6 reloading manuals and found nada for the 1 Gen.

If your just gonna climb my back and tell me to use Goex...save it. I have several pounds and may end up using it. But I'd like to not have to scrub it every time I use it, and likewise with the brass.

Again, howdy y'all from Texas, who has some light loads of HS-6 or Unique, Bullseye etc. for a 1st Gen Colt??

Thanks

Welcome Aboard

Boolit Master

Hello and welcome on your first posting

I would say 6.0 grains of Unique and a soft cast bullet, no jacketed as
    the old colts can be eroded easily.

May need a .454 bullet for accuracy in the old Colt.

OK, I have hung up the target, now y'all take shots at my suggestion

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor

Get a soft lead ball and push it through the bore. See if it will go in the cylinder throats from the front. BP Colts usually have a .454" bore, and the original 255gr boolit was hollow base that obturated and sealed the bore fairly easily. Some of the old BP cylinders had .456" throats. Whether or not the cylinder throats will let you use a .454" boolit without sizing it down is the question. Figure out the throat to groove diameter of the barrel measurements first. You will want a good fit in the throats and the bore.

Personally I haven't used smokeless powder in a BP Colt, and all I ever heard was not to do it even with target loads. There are a lot of guys on this forum that would rather see you loading BP and doing it the way it was intended and don't mind helping.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

TrailBoss might be an option instead of other smokeless powders.

Welcome to the CB Forum, Yippi-. I had a 1st Generation SSA long ago, serial #67XXX. That was in the late 1950s. I asked a gunsmith friend what was safe to shoot in the old revolver, as I had heard that prior to a certain date they were meant to be used with black powder loads. His response was that when the change did occur and Colt started recommending their use with smokeless loads that there were many of the older revolvers still in service. He claimed that the ammunition companies were cognizant of that, and loaded their smokeless ammo accordingly, knowing that it would be used in the older revolvers as well. I had a great deal of respect for the man, now long deceased, and took his word for it. I purchased a box of Remington 255 gr. smokless rounds, and over a period of a couple of years I fired the entire box without ill effect. Eventually I sold the revolver, and have several today that are repros in which I don't hesitate to use most any factory loads. That having been said, I am no longer sure that it was wise to shoot the smokeless loads in the old Colt. You said you didn't want to hear advice to use black powder, so I won't give it, but I think if your revolver is in good condition I'd follow JeffG's advice and use some lower level Trail Boss loads. Just think how bad your pocket book would feel if you blew the old gun up, not to mention maybe your eyes and fingers!

DG

Boolit Master

Just be aware that Trail Boss is a low velocity powder used a lot for cowboy action, not a low pressure powder. Trail boss is just bulkier than bullseye, red dot, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Hello and welcome on your first posting

May need a .454 bullet for accuracy in the old Colt.

OK, I have hung up the target, now y'all take shots at my suggestion

Mike

Howdy Skeet, and thanks to all for the info. I read an old forum post where several said the old factory equivalent is 7.0 gr Unique and a 250 gr boolit. I think dropping to 6 is a wise move.

I have plenty .490 round balls, I'll tap one down the barrel and see what's what.

Looking forward to this forum, been aware of it for years.

Boolit Master

Pleased you are here, please post your findings
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Mike
    6 grains of Unique likely won't push the case walls out enough that they don't come out all sooty.

An even greater danger in downloading smokeless powder is detonation where you reduce the powder charge to the point where the area of powder exposed to the primer flash is much greater than the area exposed when the powder is up against the flash hole, in this scenario the powder does not burn in the normal rate, it ignites a greater amount of powder which can send pressures skyrocketing, an event like this will easily destroy a modern steel cylinder, and the gun as well, let alone what it would do to a fine old black powder era iron Colt.

This is often called a "squib" load, usually created on the reloading press where the case fails to get a sufficient charge of powder and upon firing, destroys the gun.

If you look at load data, and you don't see the powder listed for a certain boolit, or you don't see a certain boolit listed looking at all the loads for that powder, it is usually because it is either unsafe or not recommended. If you see starting weights of a given powder, there are reasons they don't recommend going below that weight, and the scenario I described above is one of those reasons.

I could be mistaken but I cannot ever remember seeing any load data for Unique in 45 Colt with 6.0 grains listed as a starting charge.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-25-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Dad's SA Colt was made in 1898, Unique in 1899, but BP pressure loads should be fine. I get a kick out of folks who call it 45 LC. The actual nomenclature was M1873 or 45 Govt., and not available to the general public until the Colt New Frontier was chambered for it. Then the 45 S&W Schofield came out, it was shorter, so armory folks called them 'short colt' vs the longer 45 Govt. round. Eventually, the standard load was M1882 in 45, which could be fired through both pistols and ended some confusion for armory folks.

45 Colt was not chambered for a lever rifle until the mid 1980s as the 45 Colt was technically a proprietary govt. cartridge. Fair enough, the 44-40 and 38-40 WCF rounds were simply the 45-40 (45 Colt) due to the caliber and charge weight of BP. Both great cartridges which were the 45 Colt necked down. I have a Ruger OM Vaquero in 38-40/40 S&W with cylinders for both, really wish a carbine was in my price range. I do have a OM Vaquero 45, and a NEF Classic Carbine also in 45 Govt./45 Colt/ 45 LC/ or 45-40, and so on. Purists still call it 45 Long Colt, that name stuck and for good reason.

I watched a video of a guy who loaded a 250 grain boolit over 40 grains of BP, and the original 7 1/2" barrel. It chronographed at 1000 FPS. Why the heck not, the Army wanted the cavalry pistol to provide through-and-through penetration of a horse. The Army got what they asked for.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

While 44/40 and 45 Colt are very similar they are not the same. The 44/40 was induced parallel to the 45 Colt not from the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt was designed specifically for the 1873 Army. It was a folded case design using the Benet style internal primer with a very minimal rim without an extractor groove. The early 45 Colt was not suitable for lever gun usage until a much later date and a case modification.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-25-2021 at 03:46 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    While 44/40 and 45 Colt are very similar they are not the same. The 44/40 was induced parallel to the 45 Colt not from the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt was designed specifically for the 1873 Army. It was a folded case design with a very minimal rim without an extractor groove. The 45 Colt was not suitable for lever gun usage until a much later date.
    I am only going by reports from Jim Supica and Phil Schreier, firearms historians. Such as, the 1860 Henry was a 44 rim fire, which became the 'improved Henry' the center fire 44 1866 Yellow boy. Folded cases were the order of the day since the original rim fire 22. The most telling portion of the history is that machine tooling for creating brass was expensive, and so a common case was used for the 3 cartridges and then sized differently for the individual cartridges.

Solid case head cartridges with replaceable primers came along for added strength, and the ability to reload as opposed to having to purchase new factory rounds. Kind of like the Texas Rangers who continued with percussion rifles long after cartridge rifles were available due to cost and the ability to reload.

Heck, even during early years, Elmer Keith continued use of a percussion revolver due to the cost of percussion caps being less than primers, BP could be made on the farm, and lead re-cast. Even percussion caps could be made with simple tools, such tools are available even today. This is not intended to be a 'contest of crossing urine streams' just an explanation of my original comment. It was not 'plucked from air.'
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

What would the pressure be of a blackpowder load in that gun? That would be what I'd take into consideration and aim for smokeless powder loads under that to be safe. I don't know if pressure curve would have anything to do with it, though. Someone else could answer that as I'm interested.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Welcome. Those BP pistols are Fine, I would love to get one soon

Boolit Grand Master

FYI only;

In the 45 Colt the measured psi [Oehler m43 PBL with Contender test barrel] of 35 gr GOEX Cartridge or 35 gr GOEX FFFg under a Lyman 454190 [255 gr] in Winchester cases using WLP primers with an OAL of 1.6" runs 12,000 to 13,500 psi.

The same Lyman 454190 seated to an OAL of 1.589" over 8.5 gr Unique ran 18,000 psi. Seated to the max length for a Colt cylinder with OAL of 1.664 the same load ran 15,700 psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

[QUOTE=fcvan;5097252]Dad's SA Colt was made in 1898, Unique in 1899, but BP pressure loads should be fine. I get a kick out of folks who call it 45 LC. The actual nomenclature was M1873 or 45 Govt., and not available to the general public until the Colt New Frontier was chambered for it. Then the 45 S&W Schofield came out, it was shorter, so armory folks called them 'short colt' vs the longer 45 Govt. round. Eventually, the standard load was M1882 in 45, which could be fired through both pistols and ended some confusion for armory folks.

45 Colt was not chambered for a lever rifle until the mid 1980s as the 45 Colt was technically a proprietary govt. cartridge. Fair enough, the 44-40 and 38-40 WCF rounds were simply the 45-40 (45 Colt) due to the caliber and charge weight of BP. Both great cartridges which were the 45 Colt necked down. I have a Ruger OM Vaquero in 38-40/40 S&W with cylinders for both, really wish a carbine was in my price range. I do have a OM Vaquero 45, and a NEF Classic Carbine also in 45 Govt./45 Colt/ 45 LC/ or 45-40, and so on. Purists still call it 45 Long Colt, that name stuck and for good reason.

I watched a video of a guy who loaded a 250 grain boolit over 40 grains of BP, and the original 7 1/2" barrel. It chronographed at 1000 FPS. Why the heck not, the Army wanted the cavalry pistol to provide through-and-through penetration of a horse. The Army got what they asked for.

I know I'm the new kid on the block, but if the 45 Colt was not used in rifles until the 1980's due to the 45 Colt was technically a proprietary govt. cartridge, then how do you explain the 45 Govt, or what we layman call the 45-70, getting brought out in Marlin and Winchester before the turn of the 19th century ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    FYI only;

In the 45 Colt the measured psi [Oehler m43 PBL with Contender test barrel] of 35 gr GOEX Cartridge or 35 gr GOEX FFFg under a Lyman 454190 [255 gr] in Winchester cases using WLP primers with an OAL of 1.6" runs 12,000 to 13,500 psi.

The same Lyman 454190 seated to an OAL of 1.589" over 8.5 gr Unique ran 18,000 psi. Seated to the max length for a Colt cylinder with OAL of 1.664 the same load ran 15,700 psi.
    thanks
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by YippyKiYay View Post

I know I'm the new kid on the block, but if the 45 Colt was not used in rifles until the 1980's due to the 45 Colt was technically a proprietary govt. cartridge, then how do you explain the 45 Govt, or what we layman call the 45-70, getting brought out in Marlin and Winchester before the turn of the 19th century ?
    Early cartridges were very expensive and black market 50/70 and 45/70 was a big problem. The firearm manufactured chambered civilian firearms in these cartridges as soon as they got samples. In the case of the 45 Colt it's original design was suitable for use in firearms without an ejector rod. By the time the rim's were redesigned to allow for use in lever guns the day of the pistol caliber lever gun was over.

Remington 1875 were chambered in 45 Colt I believe from day one on a very limited basis. https://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_1875_revolver.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-25-2021 at 10:57 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

fcvan, if you can find an Army Requirements Document for the 45 Colt cartridge to penetrate a horse, please provide it. Although it can, the Army didn’t specify horse penetration prior to adoption. They did reject a 44 rim fire and asked for something with more umph. It’s a myth that’s been passed on because it sounds good. As far as a proprietary government cartridge, that’s something I’ve never heard of. What’s your reference? Great Western made SAA clones in 45 Colt in the 50’s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast