Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Wish Remington Would Make...

Banned

1. Bring back the 788.

2. I like the anniversary edition of the Model 8, while we're at it, let's do the Model 14/141, same calibers.

3. The Nylon 66 never should have stopped production in the first place, if Remington wasn't going to, someone else should have picked up the ball.

4. Did I mention they should bring back the 788?

I'm not mush of a Remington fan boy, very little of what they've made over the years grabs me like Winchester or Savage, but that 788 and a few others were real winners.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The Nylon 66 never should have stopped production in the first place, if Remington wasn't going to, someone else should have picked up the ball.

Someone did - Remington sold all their Nylon Rifle machinery to CBC in Brazil, who supplied them to FIE for US import.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Someone did - Remington sold all their Nylon Rifle machinery to CBC in Brazil, who supplied them to FIE for US import.

I remember that. Why did they stop?

IMO, it was one of two reasons, or both - pay your money and take your choice..

1) CDC had been an ammo maker since 1926, and maybe their bean counters opted for the ammo side of the business,

2) The machinery from Remington wore out beyond use, and CDC thought it too expensive to re-tool.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

IMO, it was one of two reasons, or both - pay your money and take your choice..

1) CDC had been an ammo maker since 1926, and maybe their bean counters opted for the ammo side of the business,

2) The machinery from Remington wore out beyond use, and CDC thought it too expensive to re-tool.

Too bad. Only semi auto .22 rifle I would trust to be reliable besides the Ruger 10/22.

Boolit Master

The M1917 rifle action.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

AKA: The Model 1863 Pocket .31

There's even a CF conversion cylinder on the market for it

Not that one. They made a version of the '58 that was smaller, nobody has ever made a reproduction of it. About the size of the Colt '62 pocket police.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would love to see Remington just stick to their core, proven designs and build them right. Love my late model 700 and 870, every hunter should have one. Yes, the nylon 66 needs to come back!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    More primers.
    Vista Outdoors bought the rights to the ammo and I would guess the reloading stuff too.

I'd like to see them build more double stack 1911 pistols. They did one run. I managed to get a 9mm. It's a great pistol.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    A profit...or it don't much matter. So that means something with wide market appeal, that works and is affordable.

The 5mm is dead and will stay dead. It may offer a bit more killing power and less wind drift than the .17HMR but not enough to carve out a significant market share, and the .17 is flatter shooting. No pizzazz means no sales.
    Unfortunately, you're right Don. I love the 5mm, I had one waaaaayyyy back in '69 or '70, somewhere in that time frame. There was no woodchuck or crow that was safe within 150 yards, man that was fun! About twice a month I'd give my dad $7 out of my lawn mowing money and ask him to stop at the Big N store and get me "yet-another box" (as he would say) of cartridges. LOL! Those were good times, fer sher! But today, the 5mm is dead, sad thing, but true. Now a new, updated Nylon 66 might be just the thing! I'd buy one!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    A nylon 66 in 17hmr would be sweet!! A rolling block or falling block in 327 Federal or better yet, a 788 in 327 federal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    "I know what I missed: The XP-100."

Me too. Would love to see them back in production again.
    Chris
    I'd like that idea myself question is 221 fireball or 223.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I suspect it will be a long time before the Remington name appears on any new firearm. The new owner tried to start a rehire at the New York plant and was told that unless they were willing to commit to the old Union Contract it would be no dice.(which is a big part of their failure to start with) So they will probably have to move production to the other plant in the south. Having said that, I suspect we will see a new lineup of products with an eye on economy guns and nothing that they aren't sure will sell. Sorry, no new innovations or legacy type firearms(with the possible exception of a 870 pattern shotgun) Just what I think as my crystal ball is a little cloudy right now.

Boolit Buddy
    If they start making guns again lets hope they have a look at implementing some quality control, the last new gun I purchased was a SPS in 300 blackout when my gunsmith pointed out the chamber was of centre ( plus a heap of other manufacturing problems ) he was told that was within specs.

Boolit Master
    Aguila makes two different loads for the 5mm Remington Magnum. Two months ago, that ammo was more expensive than the other rimfire magnums, but with today's prices, it is competitive with the .17 HMR and .22 WMR. It is also easily found on the internet.

Boolit Master
    I suspect it will be a long time before the Remington name appears on any new firearm. The new owner tried to start a rehire at the New York plant and was told that unless they were willing to commit to the old Union Contract it would be no dice.
    Apparently, the union reps never heard about the Winchester plant in New Haven, Connecticut. That being said, the best investment a manufacturer can make is in its employees.

Quality comes from people caring and being proud that they work where they do. Savage's epic comeback was built almost entirely on pride, because they had ZERO money. It was said that the catalyst was the new CEO getting a ladder and bucket and washing dirty windows with no fanfare. He said, "We couldn't afford new tooling, new machinery, or new designs, but we didn't have to have dirty windows." The next day, he noticed that there were a lot more clean windows, swept floors and cleaned up benches. They took off from there.
    Last edited by bowfin; 01-26-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: window to windows

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    More primers.
    Even if that's all they make,more PRIMERS and ammo could be added a little later down the line.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 01-26-2021 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Remington Firearms and Remington Ammunition were bought by separate entities. They are now like Winchester ammunition and Winchester (U.S. Repeating) firearms. Same name, different owners.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    1. Bring back the 788.

2. I like the anniversary edition of the Model 8, while we're at it, let's do the Model 14/141, same calibers.

3. The Nylon 66 never should have stopped production in the first place, if Remington wasn't going to, someone else should have picked up the ball.

4. Did I mention they should bring back the 788?

I'm not mush of a Remington fan boy, very little of what they've made over the years grabs me like Winchester or Savage, but that 788 and a few others were real winners.
    Several comments here regarding the hope of the 788 being brought back. I've never understood the popularity of the 788. Ugly stock finish and overall "clunky" feel to it, Ugh! If it were built today it would have to compete with the Ruger American and Savage Axis, both of which are better rifles, IMO.

Just what is it about the 788 that you guys are so attracted to?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Remington did make a super short action 700. I don't remember the caliber, might have been 350 rem mag, but I saw one in a shop once and was about to buy it but brass or ammo was absolutely unobtainable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast